Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #98277  by Piazza

I'm looking for an open carry holster. I've rarely used a holster and considering what I have done has only been in my house I always just used the friction holster that came with my XDm. As I'm looking to start OCing I wanted to buy something with an active retention system. Serpa's are obviously popular, but they don't have one for the M. I have heard that you can make simple modifications to the XD version to make it work, but I rather find something designed for it.

So far I'm liking the Safariland 6378 and then adding the the ALS guard for a little additional security. Anyone with experience with it?

Like I said I know very little and am learning as I go so if I missed any major companies or suggestions feel free to throw them up here.
 #98280  by HoBoJoe

I have the Safariland ALS for my G19 and it works very well, make sure you have an appropriate belt. I prefer the thumb release over the serpa style because I'm not a fan of pushing my trigger finger towards my trigger as I'm drawing.
 #98284  by 08///M3Saloon

Can't go wrong with the 6378. Great holster. I agree with Joe I'm no fan of SERPAs for more than one reason. All of which have been thoroughly discussed.
My suggestion to you would be look into a 6378 weapon mounted light model for your XDM. I say this because the ALS system will positively lock the pistol in the holster with or without a light mounted. This gives you great versatility in my opinion if you ever plan to run a pistol light.
When I OC it's always in a 6378. And on duty in a 6360. Safariland is hard to beat when it comes to great holsters.
If you are planning on getting a CCW and still want to carry owb, might I suggest looking into safarilands new this year GLS series of holsters. It utilizes a grip locking mechanism opposed to the ejection port lock of the ALS providing a slimmer more concealable package.
If you need any help deciphering Safarilands cryptic holster code numbering system I'm more than happy to help you find what you need.
Lastly as far as the ALS guard goes I can't say it's necessary. Having used ALS retention as much as I have I'm sure you would be confident in it's retention abilities as is. But if it gives you piece of mind I say go for it! But be sure to practice practice practice disengaging the releases before taking it out on the streets. Hopefully that was helpful.
 #98285  by Piazza

I spent a couple hours on their website last night confusing the hell out of myself. Their system seems to lack any obvious logic. I would like to get ccw, but considering I need personal references that live in the same country and I don't even live in DE yet, it might be a while.

I liked the ALS over gls for two reasons. ALS engages on the steel slide opposed to polymer which is much easier to mar, deform and crack. And in the unlikely event of a gun grab they won't release the holster in the process. The ALS you sort of know what to do for it to work. But again, highly unlikely.

I appreciate the responses.
 #98288  by 08///M3Saloon

It is an interesting system but after breaking it down it makes half sense. The first set of numbers is the model number of the holster the second is the firearm it's for the third is the finish and which hand it's for. Obviously not all are that easy but it's to be expected with over 15000 part numbers.
As I said earlier the ALS is hard to beat for active retention and I would choose it 9/10 for most of my OC needs.
With that said I have no doubt that the GLS performs at the same standard. I you've never seen a safariland gun grab demo you are missing out. Grown men can be picked up by the holster and the gun stays put, they also strap it to a bench and basically hang off of it. Impressive to say the least.
If you're concerned about maring your firearms finish I can't say any holster won't. The ALS is no deifferent.Image but I LOVE honest holster wear. Also remember the versatility of the ability to carry a light. This particular model not only carries my M&P with a TLR-1 but with a ITI M3X or with no light,and if that wasn't enough will also carry an SD series pistol I have.
 #98293  by Piazza

I don't doubt the physical engagement of either type. My point was only that because of the placement of the release on the gls that someone (without even knowing) could hit the release while attempting to disarm you. The ALS is slightly off normal grip position so you have to know its there to release it.

The maring was only a thought because of the polymer frame. If it hasn't been an issue for others I assume it wouldn't be an issue for me, but, again, I don't have experience with holsters so I can seeking advice.

I will look into a light compatible model for my XDm. I don't recall seeing it, but I probably just missed it.
 #98298  by Owen

08///M3Saloon,

What model Safariland holster is that with space for a light but not level III retention? Or did you take things off a 6360?

I have the 6378 for my pistol but it would be nice to have a similar with space for a light but without the hood etc.
 #98301  by 08///M3Saloon

Owen wrote:08///M3Saloon,

What model Safariland holster is that with space for a light but not level III retention? Or did you take things off a 6360?

I have the 6378 for my pistol but it would be nice to have a similar with space for a light but without the hood etc.
It is a 6378. If you have a M&P the full model# is 6378-2192-411
I you have a different pistol I can help you find what you're looking for.