Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #104601  by CorBon

Wilmington robbery victim details attack
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /26091993/

Clayton Stacey is trying to stay positive as he awaits surgery to fix his jaw that was broken during a violent robbery last week near his Cool Spring home in Wilmington.

Stacey, a 40-year-old makeup artist at Sherif Zaki in Greenville, said he's getting plenty of support from friends to keep his spirits up. He's also bringing attention to the Tuesday night attack via social media, particularly to those in his neighborhood.

"They absolutely need to know to be aware of what can happen," he said. "Since then people have been knocking on doors, making sure to have their front lights on, their alleyway lights on."

"I never knew that change would come, but people need to be aware," he said, adding "you can either be a victim or a survivor."

Wilmington police Sgt. Andrea Janvier confirmed officers were investigating the incident. She added that as of Friday, there had been no similar incidents reported.

No one has been arrested in this incident.

Stacey's ordeal began about 10:45 p.m. Tuesday when he was retrieving a work bag from his car near the corner of Van Buren and Kirk streets. That's when two men approached him.

"Where's the money? Where's the money," one of the men demanded.

It wasn't a scream, Stacey said. "It was just very calm," he added. "Not quite a whisper. It was creepier than screaming."

Stacey complied. As the other man went through his pant pockets, Stacey asked the gunman not to kill him.

The gunman held the weapon to Stacey's forehead, at one time even sliding it down his throat – right below his Adam's apple.

Scared that if he flinched something would happen to him, Stacey calmly assured him everything was in his work bag and told him to take it.

The gunman removed the weapon from Stacey's head and then the hitting started.

"It happen so fast," Stacey said.

"The first hit was to my jaw," he said. "Then there was a second one in the jaw area, which hit me just a little higher almost above my ear."

As he started falling, Stacey remembers getting "whacked" on the top of the head.

"Then just nothing and then I woke up," he said. He woke in a pool of blood.

Stacey said he's lived in New York and Miami and considers himself to be street-smart person but nothing like this had occurred to him before.

While he believes the assault could happen anywhere, Stacey said the city has issues it needs to change.

"Cities that are more dangerous have been working in a much wiser manner to fix," its problems, he said.

Contact Esteban Parra at (302) 324-2299, eparra@delawareonline.com or Twitter @eparra3.