Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #105687  by David

Gun control? Americans increasingly see more guns as the solution, not the problem.

By Amber Phillips July 27 at 3:10 PM Follow @byamberphillips
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... 8024448834

Gun control is still going nowhere in Congress. And in fact, with every major mass shooting in America, gun-rights supporters seem to be digging in even further -- and bringing the rest of America along with them.

Former Texas governor Rick Perry, a 2016 GOP presidential candidate, argued after last week's deadly shooting at a Lafayette, La., movie theater that Americans should be allowed to bring guns into movie theaters -- and everywhere else -- to prevent such crime.

It's an echo of a familiar theme from NRA head Wayne LaPierre. "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," LaPierre said frequently amid the more recent gun-control debate.

[Jindal: Lafayette shooter 'never should have been able to buy a gun]

And most Americans agree with this logic, according to a 2014 Pew Research Poll. Since the 2012 Newtown, Conn., massacre of 26 people, including 20 school children, the poll found a nine-point rise in the number of Americans who think gun ownership could "protect people from becoming victims of crime."

The post-Newtown shift was most significant among Republicans, whose support for gun ownership in the two years since the attack rose from 63 percent to 80 percent.

The poll also marked the first time in two decades of Pew surveys that more Americans supported gun rights rather than gun control (though public opinion had been shifting that way for years).

Increasingly, Americans see guns as the answer -- not the problem -- to mass shootings.

Powerful and well-organized pro-gun lobbies like the National Rife Association have long been taking advantage of this shift in public opinion to ensure no new gun restrictions pass Congress. Their well-mobilized and politically active group of supporters is one of the reasons a post-Newtown universal background check bill failed in the Senate, despite overwhelming support in polls testing the specifics of the proposal.

Huge majorities of the public and gun owners continue to support background checks, despite the rise in opposition to gun control in general. (Although Americans also largely don't think we need new gun laws or that much can be done to prevent mass shootings.)

In fact, the pro-gun-rights lobby is so powerful and its voters so active that Democratic senators who support gun laws tend to reverse their positions before reelection, a 2014 research paper by the National Bureau of Economic Research found.

Background checks are back in the news now. Lafayette shooter John Russell Houser passed a background check to buy a gun despite a history of mental illness because he was never involuntarily committed. And an FBI record-keeping error allowed accused Charleston shooter Dylann Roof to buy a gun despite the fact that he had a criminal record.

But as we wrote on this blog this month, these revelations likely won't move the needle on gun debate.

Both sides can -- and are -- using these two most recent incidents to argue their points: Gun-control supporters say they prove that the background check system needs to be revamped and expanded, while gun-rights supporters say a slip in the system does not a trend make.

It's even clearer that gun laws likely won't change when you zoom out to Americans' overall feelings on guns; with every mass shooting, in fact, we seem to be embracing the idea of more guns rather than fewer.

Scott Clement contributed to this report
Amber Phillips writes about politics for The Fix. She was previously the one-woman D.C. bureau for the Las Vegas Sun and has reported from Boston and Taiwan.
 #105692  by stephpd

Wow, not a hit piece from the Washington Post?

Next thing you know NBC will start reporting the news and stop some of the propaganda.
 #105694  by Owen

Are we in the popular kids club now?

I am not surprised. We've been in wars for a few years now and all the returning soldiers have a positive impact on support of gun rights.

Also, I think that the movies portrayal of people using guns as protection and for justice is also helping with less movies like Reservoir Dogs more like Taken. But I may be off on that one?
 #105697  by stephpd

I think it's more that the anti gun propaganda just isn't holding much water anymore. And that some of the gun rights message has been getting through despite the MSM not wanting to report it.

The shootings of our solders at Ft Hood and TN are tragic. And might have been prevented if our solders were permitted to carry. I think many people understand this. That our trained armed forces are purposely disarmed in their own country. And that these gun free zones don't keep out the bad guys.

I'm not so sure returning solders have much of an impact. There are 2 million active military. And over 21 million veterans, going back to WWII and every war since then. Those numbers haven't changed much over the years, thought the number of new veterans is always increasing. As the older veterans die they're replaced by new veterans.

Yet the polling numbers don't reflect this much through the years.

I happen to talk, some say too much, to anyone that's willing to have a conversation. Had a good one at work yesterday on firearms. Noting that even in a blue county in a blue state that even Democrats (excluding politicians) still have a love of guns. Most of the other folks not veterans and they agreed that guns are good for protection and not just hunting or sport shooting. That protection has taken the lead, particularity since most live in the city and see or at least hear the shootings. One of the latest where a good guy over on 4th and Washington had someone break into his house and kill him. And how a shotgun in the home might have stopped this. Many may not even own guns now but they're thinking about it.
 #105700  by Owen

Good points. Hadn't thought about the numbers of soldiers over time.

I was thinking that in the drive to push current wars and gain positive public opinion. The idea that soldiers who use guns are seen in a positive light, and by association made the guns more acceptable. All the ads I've seen lately of soldiers armed and moving out versus the old marine with a sword in dress uniform type ads I saw growing up.