Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #105699  by David

Here's where you're most likely to own a gun

Andy Kiersz and Brett LoGiurato
Jul. 3, 2015, 10:30 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-owne ... ate-2015-7

Nearly one in every three Americans owns a gun, according to a recently published study in the journal Injury Prevention by researchers Bindu Kalesan, Marcos Villarreal, and Katherine Keyes of Columbia University, and Sandro Galea of Boston University.

The researchers conducted the survey of 4,000 adults in an attempt to answer the question of how many Americans own a firearm — and why — amid a lack of overall data and statistics on gun ownership. They found a broad regional variation in gun ownership — from as low as near 5% in some areas to as much as 66% in others. In individual states, this ranged from 5.2% ownership in Delaware to 61.7% in Alaska.

Here's a map illustrating their results:

The researchers discovered the variation was due to everything from local and state firearm laws to cultural and social norms. Those who reported the prevalence of a "social gun culture," in fact, were 2.25 times more likely to own a gun.

"In many parts of the country, these social norms include participation in social activities around gun ownership. These social gun cultures have rarely been formally studied but may be important determinants of gun ownership," the study's authors wrote.

In the Northeast, gun ownership was below the national average, ranging from 5.8% in Rhode Island to 28.8% in Vermont. In the Midwest and South, ownership ranged from 26.2% in Illinois to 57.9% in Arkansas. And in the West, just more than 20% of Californians own a gun, compared with about 57% in Idaho.
 #105701  by Owen

I don't buy it. First it was published in the "journal Injury Prevention". Sounds a lot like the current "gun violence is a health issue front".

That and asking 4000 people out of the 200+ million is by no means a statistically valid sample set.
 #105703  by dave_in_delaware

So 4000 people were asked, and since every state is shown, that's only 80 people per State that were asked. Was that all in one city? Scattered around? How'd they select the people who were asked?

Not a very accurate map or poll.

Heck, if they asked 80 people in DE and they all happened to be members of DELOC, Delaware would be at 100%.
 #105705  by Owen

c17loadsmasher wrote:If i recieved a phone call from a random person asking if i own a gun, there is no way i am telling them that i do. I have a hard time believing that is an accurate number.
^ This!

Plus who really answers random calls anymore?
 #105713  by Boots

Owen wrote:Plus who really answers random calls anymore?
And who are the people at home during the middle of the day when the phone calls are made?
 #105714  by stephpd

dave_in_delaware wrote:So 4000 people were asked, and since every state is shown, that's only 80 people per State that were asked. Was that all in one city? Scattered around? How'd they select the people who were asked?

Not a very accurate map or poll.

Heck, if they asked 80 people in DE and they all happened to be members of DELOC, Delaware would be at 100%.
If it's based on population then for DE they only called 13 people. 300,000,000/4000= 75,000
There are about 1 million people in this state so proportionally it would be 13. So, 1 out of the 13 admitted to having a gun.
 #105715  by stephpd

Boots wrote:
Owen wrote:Plus who really answers random calls anymore?
And who are the people at home during the middle of the day when the phone calls are made?
The same people that participation in the monthly Current Population Survey.
http://www.bls.gov/cps/

The type of people they call to determine the unemployment rate. Believe it or not unemployment has nothing to do with first time unemployment applications, nor on the new hire numbers. But by calling 60,000 people every month.

But then they too not only have to be home during regular working hours but also have a land line. Because the government doesn't call cell phones for that survey.
 #105718  by Kuntryboy816

NormH3 wrote:People lie when surveyed.
^^This! Given the current state of affairs in this country and the issues pertaining to firearms, who would be like, "Shoot yeah! I got plenty of guns!"

....and if you add in the numbers of thugs, druggies, gang-bangers, etc. then I bet you could safely add another 35% or more to that number of "owned firearms" whether they're legally owned or not.