Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #105868  by Kuntryboy816

http://m.wdel.com/story.php?id=69968/

Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:19pm

VIDEO: Elsmere won't ban guns from municipal buildings, public meetings
By: Shana O'Malley

Elsmere officials will not consider banning firearms in town buildings.

During a meeting Thursday night, Elsmere Town Council voted down the first reading of an ordinance that would have prohibited the public from openly carrying firearms in municipal buildings.

District 6 Councilwoman and former Elsmere mayor Deborah Norkavage proposed the change to the town's code.

"I feel that all of the citizens should be able to come to town hall to voice their opinions and their concerns without any feelings of being intimidated," Norkavage said.

Last year, officials held a lengthy public hearing to discuss the town's long standing ban on guns in parks. During that meeting, Norkavage said gun rights advocates were in full force.

"There were members of the public who were armed, and I don't tend to feel intimidated; however, I don't know that all members of the community would feel that way--and maybe because of that--would be less inclined to speak openly and freely as they should be able to do at our council meetings," she said.

State lawmakers passed a bill earlier this year allowing local governments to create their own policies for firearms in municipal buildings. That bill has not yet been signed.

----

Contact Shana O'Malley at somalley@dbcmedia.com or follow her on Twitter at @shanaomalley
 #105870  by NormH3

So basically what she is saying.. ...I really don't know what my constituents think, but I'm going to introduce the bill anyway....
 #105871  by NCC

NormH3 wrote:So basically what she is saying.. ...I really don't know what my constituents think, but I'm going to introduce the bill anyway....
This is gonna show my age.... What he said!

Thx for the help Kuntryboy!!!
 #105872  by Kuntryboy816

NCC wrote:
NormH3 wrote:So basically what she is saying.. ...I really don't know what my constituents think, but I'm going to introduce the bill anyway....
This is gonna show my age.... What he said!

Thx for the help Kuntryboy!!!
No worries. I couldn't get the video to transfer over and work filters block it. I'll check it out when I get home from work.
 #106120  by rmac

Hey, haven't been here in awhile, but I received a flyer in my mailbox today concerning this and more. On 10/8 at Elsmere Town Hall 6:30pm they are voting on on Ord 604 which if passed will prohibit open carry in the Town hall, and Ord 603 which will allow open carry in Elsmere parks.

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/ineed ... 2.jpg.html

It appears at least from this flyer that there are more in support of allowing open carry than banning it but we will see. I am going to try and be there with the kids and wife.