Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #106318  by laxplayer2

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /74266556/

Bipartisan group of lawmakers start gun caucus

A bipartisan group of downstate lawmakers have established a caucus that looks to protect Second Amendment rights and boost wildlife conservation efforts.

The establishment of the Delaware Legislative Sportsmen's Caucus comes as lawmakers have tried and failed to impose stricter gun-control measures. Most recently, Senate lawmakers stalled bills driven by former Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden that would have attempted to keep firearms out of the hands of those considered dangerously mentally ill. This year, lawmakers scaled back a bill that would have required anyone with a protection-from-abuse order issued against them to turn over their firearms immediately.

The caucus, chaired by Reps. Jeff Spiegelman, R-Clayton, and William Carson, D-Smyrna, and Sens. Brian Pettyjohn, R-Georgetown, and Bruce Ennis, D-Smyrna, will operate under the umbrella of the National Assembly of Sportsmen's Caucuses and lobby on a variety of issues, including Second Amendment rights, protecting public access to hunting areas and advancing "the traditional rights of Delaware’s citizens to hunt, fish, and pursue outdoor activities."

The Delaware State Sportsmen's Association, which lobbies at Legislative Hall, is the local representative organization for the National Rifle Association on all legislative and political matters, according to its website. Other caucuses within the General Assembly include the Delaware Black Caucus and Small Business Caucus.

"We realized we didn't have a sportsmen caucus in Delaware that really took a look at the history of hunting and recreational use of firearms," Pettyjohn said. "There is a large group that support Second Amendment rights in Delaware and its natural to form that caucus with like-minded individuals so we can keep some of these histories alive."

Pettyjohn said the lawmakers involved want to make sure that hunters have a, "good voice in the General Assembly when there are different laws that are presented that may impact the hobbies they may have."

The caucus in the state will take some of the issues in other states and adapt them to Delaware, he said.

Nationally, the caucus and its affiliates like the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation have been involved in such issues like using "modern sporting rifles," based on AR-15s, and other high-powered rifles in hunting, being able to carry a handgun while hunting, and various issues dealing with wildlife conservation funding, like the establishment of a conservation sales tax.

"I'm not going to look to change how we do hunting here in Delaware, I just want to preserve what we have," he added.

The caucus's first meeting is expected to meet before lawmakers return to Dover in January.

Reach Jon Offredo at (302) 324-2226 or joffredo@delawareonline.com. Follow him on Twitter @JonOffredo.
 #106327  by Owen

pick_six wrote:Someone had post about silencers in Delaware. given that silencers are being allowed for hunting in many states, these guys may be an avenue.
That was my first thought was as well.
 #106329  by David

"A bipartisan group of downstate lawmakers"

"Reps. Jeff Spiegelman, R-Clayton, and William Carson, D-Smyrna, and Sens. Brian Pettyjohn, R-Georgetown, and Bruce Ennis, D-Smyrna"

I'm not sure those of us from downstate would consider Smyrna or Clayton to be "downstate". All a matter of perspective I guess. Heaven forbid they claim that any upstate Reps could possibly be involved. Its just those damn rednecks downstate that cause all the problems.