Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #108130  by CorBon

All-around bad news.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/12/po ... tcmp=hpbt1

Police say 'around 20' killed in shooting at Orlando nightclub, more than 40 taken to local hospitals

June 12, 2016: Orlando Police officers direct family members away from a multiple shooting at a nightclub in Orlando, Fla. (AP)

BREAKING NEWS – A gunman who federal authorities say had possible ties to terrorism opened fire early Sunday morning at a packed Florida nightclub, killing approximately 20 people and wounding scores more in a bloody scene that ended hours later when police stormed the building and killed the suspect.

The shooting in Orlando at Pulse, which bills itself as "the hottest gay bar" in the city and was packed with more than 300 people, was reported minutes after 2 a.m. Sunday. In addition to those killed inside the club, at least 42 people were taken to area hospitals. Dozens of party-goers remained hostages in the club for several hours after the initial shooting, prompting SWAT teams to pour inside. Shortly after 6 a.m. local time, Orlando police tweeted that the gunman had been killed.

The gunman, whose identity was not immediately released, “may have leanings” toward radical Islam, FBI Special Agent in Charge Ron Harper said when asked by Fox News whether the suspect had ties to Jihadist terror groups. Harper said the investigation is looking into possible threats made previously by the suspect in connection to radical Islam groups. He said the agency is still investigating and has yet to confirm any role a terror group may have played in the mass shooting.

“There are allegations the individual made threats in the past to having ties to terrorist organizations,” Harper told Fox News.

"At this time we're looking at all angles right now," Harper said. "We do have suggestions that that individual may have leanings toward [radical Islam], that particular ideology. But right now we can’t say definitively so we’re still running everything around.”

The incident “is being investigated as an act of terrorism,” said Danny Banks, special agent in charge at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, who added that “around 20” people are believed dead inside the nightclub.

Banks said the suspected shooter – who was armed with an “assault-type rifle” and a handgun -- also was dead inside the club, where he was shot and killed at around 5 a.m. in a shootout with SWAT team officers who were called in “to rescue hostages,” Chief John Mina of the Orlando Police Department said.

Mina said officers were engaged in a gun battle outside the club before the suspect went back into the building, where more shots were fired. He said the gunman then took several hostages.

"It appears he was organized and well-prepared," the chief said, adding that the shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and "some type of (other) device on him."

At least 9 officers were involved in raiding the nightclub, and one officer was injured, according to Banks. The injured officer was hit by a bullet and his Kevlar helmet saved his life, Banks said.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer credited law enforcement with saving more lives by their heroic efforts.

“Many were saved by the heroic efforts of the Orlando Police Department and Orange County Sheriff’s Office,” he said.

Officials said the next update will take place at 9 a.m. Police said local, state and federal agencies were investigating.

Witnesses in the club reported mass chaos after hearing several shots ring out inside the nightclub.

Pulse Orlando posted on its own Facebook page around 2 a.m.: "Everyone get out of pulse and keep running." Just before 6 a.m., the club posted an update: "As soon as we have any information we will update everyone. Please keep everyone in your prayers as we work through this tragic event. Thank you for your thoughts and love."

Mina Justice was outside the club early Sunday trying to contact her 30-year-old son Eddie, who texted her when the shooting happened and asked her to call police. He told her he ran into a bathroom with other club patrons to hide. He then texted her: "He's coming."

"The next text said: 'He has us, and he's in here with us,'" she said. "That was the last conversation."

Jon Alamo said he was at the back of one of the club's rooms when a man holding a weapon came into the front of the room.

"I heard 20, 40, 50 shots," Alamo said. "The music stopped."

Club-goer Rob Rick said it happened around, 2 a.m., just before closing time.

"Everybody was drinking their last sip," he said.

He estimated more than 100 people were still inside when he heard shots, got on the ground and crawled toward a DJ booth. A bouncer knocked down a partition between the club area and an area in the back where only workers are allowed. People inside were able to then escape through the back of the club.

Christopher Hansen said he was in the VIP lounge when he started hearing gunshots. He continued to hear shooting even after he emerged, where police were telling people to back away from the club. He saw injured people being tended to across the street.

"I was thinking, are you kidding me? So I just dropped down. I just said please, please, please, I want to make it out," he said. "And when I did, I saw people shot. I saw blood. You hope and pray you don't get shot."

Ricardo Negron Almodovar, who posted a message on the club’s Facebook page describing his harrowing escape after shots broke out, described a chaotic scene.

"People on the dance floor and bar got down on the floor and some of us who were near the bar and back exit managed to go out through the outdoor area and just ran," he posted on the club's Facebook page.

"I am safely home and hoping everyone gets home safely as well."

The incident follows the fatal shooting late Friday of 22-year-old singer Christina Grimmie, who was killed after her concert in Orlando by a 27-year-old Florida man who later killed himself. Grimmie was a YouTube sensation and former contestant on "The Voice."

Police said there was no more threat to the area.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
 #108133  by surfacedragon

Yesterday I was talking with someone about Christina Grimmie and Dimebag Darrel.

We talked about how going to concerts unarmed is the common thing most people do and how I would personally never get up on a stage unarmed.

I then said "Well, I'm usually armed anyways. Especially if I go to some place with lots of people like a bar."

Then I wake up this morning to a bunch of notifications about a this Orlando Gay Bar Shooting and my first thought was -

"If I were to go out to some place like a gay bar late at night I would've definitely been carrying a firearm to defend myself and others with." In the situation that someone/thing was attempting to cause grievous bodily harm or death to myself or another, that is.

When I read in a news article that the shooter was engaged in a shootout with the police in the parking lot then entered the bar I thought -

"Wrong move bad guy, your about to be confronted by a good guy with a gun if you go in that building."

But no. From what I've read when he got in the building things got worse and police had to literally bust in there to get the bad guy.

Truly upsetting. I personally feel that less lives would have been lost if more good people had a means to defend themselves on their person.
 #108134  by CorBon

surfacedragon wrote:

I then said "Well, I'm usually armed anyways. Especially if I go to some place with lots of people like a bar." .
The truth is that if you can legally be armed when you go someplace, there's no reason not to be armed when you go to that place. I don't know when or where stuff will happen, and if I did -- I WOULD STAY HOME.
 #108137  by pick_six

In Florida, depending on how the place is licensed. Being armed may not have been legal. Probably a GFZ. Those are so effective, as we are well aware. Being that it was labeled as a bar...

FL law 790.06 12a (12) says that CCW permits are not valid in an establishment licensed to serve alcohol for consumption as its primary purpose. Iirc, Florida requires a permit for ANY carry. I may be mistaken there.

It also sounded like police believed the reports by "regular citizens" about a bomb vest. Sounds to be an erroneous report. I am still waiting for a more detailed report in a few days, but my premature guess is that it was maybe a chest mounted ammo setup, or similar. Again speculation, but someone without familiarity could think it was a vest bomb.

They delayed entry for a few hours, or so it sounded in the reports, based on the bomb vest report. Did they miss the golden hour for several of the victims? It looked like they were carrying victims away from.the bar about a block or.so, to medic vehicles. At least for some of the time.
surfacedragon wrote:Yesterday I was talking with someone about Christina Grimmie and Dimebag Darrel.

We talked about how going to concerts unarmed is the common thing most people do and how I would personally never get up on a stage unarmed.

I then said "Well, I'm usually armed anyways. Especially if I go to some place with lots of people like a bar."

Then I wake up this morning to a bunch of notifications about a this Orlando Gay Bar Shooting and my first thought was -

"If I were to go out to some place like a gay bar late at night I would've definitely been carrying a firearm to defend myself and others with." In the situation that someone/thing was attempting to cause grievous bodily harm or death to myself or another, that is.

When I read in a news article that the shooter was engaged in a shootout with the police in the parking lot then entered the bar I thought -

"Wrong move bad guy, your about to be confronted by a good guy with a gun if you go in that building."

But no. From what I've read when he got in the building things got worse and police had to literally bust in there to get the bad guy.

Truly upsetting. I personally feel that less lives would have been lost if more good people had a means to defend themselves on their person.
 #108141  by brich2929

Dreck from http://www.salon.com/2016/06/13/nobody_ ... _machines/

Nobody needs an AR-15: The Orlando massacre teaches us (again) that we must ban semi-automatic human killing machines

Do it now: Congress must ban military-style weapons and make it harder for terrorists to act on their hate

I just came from a meeting today in the Situation Room in which I have people who know we have been on ISIL websites, living here in the United States, US citizens, and we’re allowed to put them on the no fly list when it comes to airlines, but because of the National Rifle Association I cannot prohibit these people from buying a gun. This is somebody who is a known ISIL sympathizer and if he wants to walk into a gun store or a gun show and buy as much, as many weapons and ammo as he can, nothing is prohibiting him from doing that even though the FBI knows who that person is. So sir, I just have to say respectfully that there is a way to have common sense gun laws, there is a way to make sure that lawful, responsible gun owners, like yourself, are able to use it for sporting, hunting, protecting yourself. But the only way we’re going to be able to do that is if we don’t have a situation where anything that is proposed is viewed as some tyrannical destruction of the second amendment. And that is how the issue too often gets framed — President Obama, June 2, 2016

We’ve had yet another horrific mass shooting. In fact, it’s the worst mass shooting in American history. More than fifty people were killed and many more wounded in a nightclub that catered to gay people in Orlando Florida. At the moment I’m writing this, what we know is that these murders were carried out by an American Muslim by the name of Omar Mateen, the son of Afghan immigrants who was born in New York 29 years ago. We know that he called 911 during the killing and reportedly pledged allegiance to ISIS and mentioned the Tsarnaev brothers (who were not ISIS, for what it’s worth). We know the FBI had been aware of some radical connections and jihadist “leanings” and had interviewed him in the past. His father reported that he was an angry homophobe. His ex-wife said he was a violent domestic abuser who was mentally unstable. He was a hate-filled, violent piece of work.

And we also know that he had earlier been given a firearms license and a concealed carry permit in Florida. Earlier last week he walked into a gun store and walked out with a hand gun and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle with the capability of mowing down a hundred people in a matter of minutes. And that is what he proceeded to do.

President Obama’s statement above is a partial answer to a question put to him in a town hall ten days ago in which a gun store owner asked why he and Hillary want to control and restrict gun ownership from “good guys”. The president explained that he and Hillary aren’t trying to confiscate anyone’s guns but rather that they are trying to mitigate the carnage much the same way that we mitigated the carnage of auto crashes. (I would argue we need cars a lot more than we need guns.) And then he made that statement about the NRA’s adamant insistence that government cannot prevent even suspected terrorists from buying as many guns as they want.

I’ve always been surprised that this hasn’t caused more controversy about this since 9/11 but perhaps the fact that most of our distressingly regular terrorist mass shootings since then were not carried out by Muslim extremists. The normal reaction among gun proliferation advocates is to treat these events as if they are a natural disaster like a tornado or an earthquake. A mentally ill man armed to the teeth goes into a movie theater and kills 12 people and injures seventy more. A troubled young man whose mother bought him a cache of weapons kills her and then brutally murders 20 first graders and 6 of their teachers for no apparent reason. A frustrated young man goes on a killing spree to punish women for rejecting him and to punish sexually active men for living a more enjoyable life than his. Here on the other side of the country from Orlando, the Santa Monica police today caught a man just half a mile from my house, armed with three semi-automatic rifles and some explosives who said he was headed to the LA gay pride parade to kill people.

All of them use guns to kill but the gun rights zealots shrug and say the only thing we can do is arm the “good guys” so they can shoot the “bad guys.”

But now what appears to be a “lone wolf” terrorist, who was even a licensed “good guy” by the state of Florida, just perpetrated the worst mass shooting in American history. And we don’t see the gun advocates shrugging this off as if this was an unpreventable act of God. In fact, we can look to the man the NRA just endorsed to see the reaction:

What has happened in Orlando is just the beginning. Our leadership is weak and ineffective. I called it and asked for the ban. Must be tough

Live links and more at: Salon.com
 #108145  by Owen

Sad story. My prayers go out to the victims and their families.

The liberal/progressives have had a long enough run with all their gun control schemes. It's time to drop all that. The only thing offsetting the damage those laws did is the persistence of good people even with all the hoops.
 #108146  by NCC

Florida gun owners are not allowed to carry in any establishment that serves alcohol. Here is an interesting article on where they say that since at least 1950, only slightly over 1 percent of mass public shootings have occurred where general citizens have been able to defend themselves.

http://crimeresearch.org/2016/06/mass-s ... nightclub/