Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #108307  by Surface Dragon

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /86673976/

CRIME

2 attempted abductions reported in Newark

Saranac Hale Spencer, The News Journal

A man tried to abduct two women in Newark late Sunday and early Monday, once by putting a rag saturated with a chemical over the victim's mouth, police said. He was unsuccessful both times.

The first attempt was at about 11:20 p.m. on Sunday at the Colonial Gardens Apartments in the 300 block of E. Main St., according to police.

A 28-year-old University of Delaware student was unloading her car, and as she was leaving the building to make another trip to the car, the man grabbed her from behind and tried to put the chemical-soaked rag over her mouth, police said.
He tried to force her outside, but she fought him off, and he ran away, police said.
About four hours later, at 3:33 a.m. on Monday, he tried to abduct a woman from a neighboring apartment complex, Main Towers, according to police. There, he grabbed the neck and mouth of a 61-year-old woman from behind and tried to push her into her car. She fought him off and he ran away, police said.
Both victims declined medical attention.
Police said they are looking for a white man in his early 20s, 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 7 inches tall, with a thin build.
Duncan Smith had just left work late Sunday night and was walking to the Colonial Gardens Apartments, where his wife babysits, when police approached and told him to put his hands up, he said. Smith was unaware at the time that a man had just attempted to abduct a woman from the apartments.
Officers realized that he did not match the suspect's description, Smith said.

"I was really worried because my wife, she's pregnant, and she walks around here all of the time," said Smith, adding that they always thought the area was safe.
Management for the apartment complexes did not respond to calls Monday.
Daniel Liu, an engineering student at the University of Delaware from Taiwan, lives at Colonial Gardens with his wife and two children, who are 9 and 6. He heard about the abduction attempts in an email Monday from the city of Newark and said they're on edge.

"We will keep aware of strangers because we have small kids," he said.

Police ask anyone with information about the incident to contact Newark Police Detective James Skinner at (302) 366-7100, ext. 3135, or james.skinner@cj.state.de.us.
Contact Saranac Hale Spencer at (302) 324-2909, sspencer@delawareonline.com or on Twitter @SSpencerTNJ. Contact Karl Baker at kbaker@delawareonline.com or (302) 324-2329. Follow him on Twitter @kbaker6.
 #108308  by Amy Blackthorn

Called Newark PD and related the dude in the minivan trying to park in my driveway and tromp through the woods matching this description an hour before it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #108347  by NCC

Saw on Channel 6 this morning that they caught this guy over the weekend.