Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #109360  by CorBon

Would-be thief has gun taken at People's Plaza Shopping Center
Xerxes Wilson, The News Journal. 8:45 p.m. EST December 28, 2016

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /95936036/

A would-be robber had his own gun taken from him in People's Plaza Shopping Center in Glasgow Tuesday, according to Delaware State Police.

Police were called to the shopping center shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday. A 33-year-old man had arranged to sell two phones to another man in the shopping center parking lot. But instead of purchasing the phones, the person pulled a gun on the man trying to sell the phones, police said.

The suspect demanded the phones, but the victim refused and wrestled the would-be thief to the ground and took his gun, police said. The suspect then fled on foot, police said.

Nobody was injured and police described the suspect as a black man, standing 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall with a black hooded sweatshirt and black hat.

If anyone has any information in reference to this incident they are asked to contact the Robbery Unit at Troop 2, Glasgow, at 302-365-8566. Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333, via the internet at http://www.tipsubmit.com, or by sending an anonymous tip by text to 274637 (CRIMES) using the keyword “DSP.”
 #109366  by Kuntryboy816

There's a little more to the story (others involved) but here's a link to Mr. Gibson's post on the night of the incident. I wholeheartedly agree on him being one brave son-of-a-gun!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/210967792 ... 6893327464
 #109368  by Kuntryboy816

Apologies... apparently the FB police have deleted the video or the page administrator did so. Could be that Mr. Gordon or his female friend took them down for legal reasons too. Basically, there were two female parties (one on the sale side and one on the buy side) as well. The female on the Sale side posted a warning and the account of the incident and screenshots of the female buyer's picture and FB page. Mr. Gordon also followed up with a video saying, "Hey guys, I'm all right.. here's what happened.. be careful out there." I won't go into any details about the accounts of the incident they shared in case there is pending legalities involved.

The story first caught my attention b/c my sis-in-law, as well as myself and a few friends/family, is on the same resale page and has sold more than a few items through it. My brother and I have repeatedly told her to stop meeting these people alone, especially during the evening hours. So here was another "I told you so" story that I was sending her way when I got a pretty good reality check! This incident occurred in the EXACT some spot (In front of Rugged Warehouse, in People's Plaza) that my SIL had sold an old tablet a few weeks prior!! Luckily, as she always does, she called my brother to tell him where, when and what she was doing (good habit). We were just getting to his house (only about 5 mins away) and we both were like, "Yeah.. let's go keep her company and make sure this is legit." When we got there, it was no, let's sit a few spots away-incognito-trying and catch a thief-observe from afar-storm in guns blazing, type of scenario. We pulled up right next to her, lights on inside and out and standing outside of the Jeep talking to my SIL through her window. Both of us were CC so there was no visual for any ne'er-do-wells to pick up on. Just the fact that there were two grown men accompanying her during her sale we figured should be enough deterrent. Luckily, for us that night, everything stayed legit and nothing grievous happened... unless you account for her selling that tablet so cheap! :shock:

Friends, stay safe, stay smart, stay vigilant and always keep your situational awareness. Carry at all times and don't allow yourself to become a victim! But for a matter of days, this could've been my sister-in-law!
 #109369  by soundman2345

Unless it's someone that I know from the forums I follow, I insist that the exchanges take place either at Troop 2 or the Middletown PD.
 #109370  by CorBon

If there is a "worst spot" in that shopping center, it does appear to be between the movie theater and the Rugged corner. Purse snatchings and robberies being the most common incidents. Years ago, purse snatchings were all the rage, with the bad guys leaving there and going directly to the Royal Farms across from WalMart in Elkton. Not only were the credit cards used at Royal Farms, but the purses were often found there, too.

Sometimes it just safer to be a pack rat!