Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #109894  by Amy Blackthorn

Crime on the rise in Dover
https://t.co/3fXUooIzQk
Associated Press Apr 2, 2017 - 11:34 pm (0)
policeline.jpg
Dover apparently one of the more dangerous cities for its size as new statistics show crime is on the rise in the state capital.

City police said they handled 4,500 more complaints this year--that's a rise of nearly 12 percent.

The number of murders though fell from seven in 2015 to just three last year.

Acting Police Chief Major Marvin Mailey attributed the drop to police taking more guns off the street.

Officials said the department's clearance rates for crimes including robbery, rape, burglary, and aggravated assault, remain higher than the national average for similar-sized cities. The Delaware State News reported the heroin epidemic has led to a to a five-year high in the number of drug offenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #109896  by airman1968

It all starts with drugs and goes on from there. This is why we choose self protection, you never know when and where.
 #109897  by Owen

If drugs were legal, I wonder how many resources would be freed up to deal with crime? I always wonder about that. Seems like more money is spent "fighting drugs" than actually fighting crimes like robbery, burglary, and aggravated assault.

For example: lots of money for SWAT and their drug raids but if you get robbed or your car stolen not so much. Seems like we have it wrong.
 #109899  by NCC

Fear not! Our dumbass legislature is about to take care of that "for us".
 #109903  by GatorDude

You are spot on. Drug laws, along with their enforcement and interdiction efforts, are law-enforcement employment laws. As long as the drug laws exist, more and more resources need to be put towards law enforcement in an attempt to "stop" the flow of drugs. Of course, that flow will never end, just as the flow of alcohol did not end during Prohibition.

A former top Deputy AG once wrote a piece in the NJ that basically spelled out that the resources being expended in the pursuit of the "drug war" were wasted. In fact, he contended, the state could put an individual drug counselor in EVERY classroom in every school in the ENTIRE state for less money than spent on that drug war. Frustrating.
Owen wrote:If drugs were legal, I wonder how many resources would be freed up to deal with crime? I always wonder about that. Seems like more money is spent "fighting drugs" than actually fighting crimes like robbery, burglary, and aggravated assault.

For example: lots of money for SWAT and their drug raids but if you get robbed or your car stolen not so much. Seems like we have it wrong.