Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #110888  by CorBon

Some guns are weapons of mass destruction. Delaware should ban them.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/op ... 356197002/

Columbine, 1999. A “once-in-a-lifetime” mass shooting that left our country in disbelief. We thought it could never happen again.

Until Red Lake Senior High, 2005. Or West Nickel Mines School, 2006. Or Virginia Tech, 2007. Or Oikos University, 2012. More and more high school and college students across America entered classrooms and never emerged.

And then one day twenty young children and six brave educators died inside Sandy Hook Elementary.

Since then, our country has endured more than 200 school shootings, eight of these being classified as “mass shootings.” Many of these atrocities were enabled by the needless and ubiquitous availability of high-capacity, military-grade firearms, which have been legal to own since Congress allowed the assault weapons ban to expire in 2004.

Automatic and semi-automatic assault rifles and pistols are, simply put, weapons of mass destruction.

These weapons did not exist when the Founding Fathers discussed the right to bear arms. Our forefathers couldn’t have imagined the devastation that a single weapon could inflict on 17 high schoolers – or 20 grade schoolers, or 32 college kids, or 58 concert-goers — at once.

Weapons like the AR-15 and M-16 are meant for the military, not civilians.

Unsurprisingly, a large majority of Americans feel the same way. A 2017 Pew Research Center study found that 48 percent of gun owners and 77 percent of non-gun owners support an assault weapons ban.

For ten years, a federal assault weapons ban reduced mass shootings by almost one-third nationwide. Delaware’s own Mike Castle implored Congress to reauthorize the ban as its expiration date approached; however, federal lawmakers failed to act, leaving states to implement their own assault weapon bans.

Many explored the idea, but few took action.

For too long, leaders across America have neglected to pass any meaningful legislation addressing assault weapons. Only a handful of states have banned automatic and semi-automatic rifles, pistols, and high-capacity magazines. It should come as no surprise that these states have some of the lowest rates of gun deaths nationwide.

Lawmakers in Connecticut, for example, identified and implemented a series of gun control reforms in the wake of Sandy Hook — including an assault weapons ban. Consequently, gun deaths are currently trending downward in Connecticut.

Today, I call on Delaware’s General Assembly to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. We would be remiss to allow another legislative session to pass without action.

Reform-minded lawmakers in Dover have attempted to champion this effort in the past, to no avail. This legislative body needs to stand up for the safety of our schools and Delaware’s communities.

We must not wait until the unthinkable makes the stakes clear. We cannot continue to offer our thoughts, prayers, watered-down policy solutions, and assertions that we shouldn’t address gun policies while people are grieving. Until we take these weapons of mass destruction off the streets, our efforts to address any combination of mental illness and gun ownership will be in vain.

How many more mothers and fathers will put their children on the school bus for the last time? How many little boys and girls have tearfully asked their parents to stay home from school because they no longer feel safe in their classrooms?

We owe it to our nation’s innocent school children and their parents to treat classrooms, movie theaters, shopping malls, and churches as sanctuaries of civility and normalcy, not war zones.

I am profoundly inspired by the courage and resilience of student activists who are speaking out in Florida and planning protests to commence this week. On the day of the shooting, they were victims; today, they are survivors and leaders. Now is exactly the time to stand with them and follow their lead.

I urge you to contact your state legislators today and ask them to support an assault weapons ban. Applaud and support those who show the courage to stand up to the gun lobby, and put pressure on the undecided. Election year or not, Delawareans deserve to go to sleep at night knowing that their leaders are doing everything imaginable to eliminate the chance that any of our communities become the next Parkland.

Chris Johnson is a candidate for Delaware Attorney General. He is an attorney who has worked in both the public and private sectors, is a board member of the Delaware Center for Justice and a vice chair of the Wilmington Democratic Party.
 #110889  by dave_in_delaware

These weapons did not exist when the Founding Fathers discussed the right to bear arms. Our forefathers couldn’t have imagined the devastation that a single weapon could inflict on 17 high schoolers – or 20 grade schoolers, or 32 college kids, or 58 concert-goers — at once.
I'm pretty sure that our Founding Fathers also couldn't have imagined that there would ever be a person so cowardly and evil to purposely shoot school children, college kids, concert-goers, movie-goers, or church-goers. Again, it's not the gun or ammo capacity that is to blame - it's the demented sick warped mind and free will of the individual who pulls the trigger on innocent people.
Chris Johnson is a candidate for Delaware Attorney General. He is an attorney who has worked in both the public and private sectors, is a board member of the Delaware Center for Justice and a vice chair of the Wilmington Democratic Party.
Yeah, getting an AG who believes in widespread banning of weapons and magazines would not be a good thing for Delaware. And he's a democrat? I'm shocked.
 #110890  by Owen

These weapons did not exist when the Founding Fathers discussed the right to bear arms. Our forefathers couldn’t have imagined the devastation that a single weapon could inflict on 17 high schoolers – or 20 grade schoolers, or 32 college kids, or 58 concert-goers — at once
I'm pretty sure our Founding Fathers could have never imagined the willful creation of areas where human life is not protected. All the blame for these school shootings lays at the feet of those that passed the laws removing protection from our children, period.
 #110894  by California_Exile

"Automatic and semi-automatic assault rifles and pistols are, simply put, weapons of mass destruction."

It's probably asking too much from a Wilmington pol to ask him to write something that makes grammatical sense in the English language, but that sure reads like he wants to ban all semiauto pistols. Unless there's now some new category of "semi-automatic assault ... pistols" that I haven't heard about.

Aw, who am I kidding? My Glock 19 is a semi-automatic assault pistol, isn't it? What with its "high-capacity magazine" and all.
 #110897  by Owen

At some point we're going to have to start arresting and trying these people for violating their oath of office. They swore an oath to uphold and defend the constitution of the state of Delaware and last time I checked we had the right to bear arms enshrined there.
Delaware Code Title 10. Courts and Judicial Procedure § 1907. Oath of attorneys-at-law

Every attorney-at-law, upon admission to the Bar of this State, shall take and subscribe the following oath or affirmation:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Delaware;  that I will behave myself in the office of an attorney within the Court according to the best of my learning and ability and with all good fidelity, as well to the Court as to the client;  that I will use no falsehood, nor delay any person's cause through lucre and malice.”