Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #101437  by DragonJames

Im surprised i have not seen this crop up here yet as im sure there are some ARFCOMers on here.

Jist of it is the 86 FOPA Hughs amendment prohibits the manufacture, sale, or transfer of full auto firearms to civillians if manufactured after the magical date of enactment, May 16 1986. Not found in the wording of Hughs is any mention of Trusts. Fast forward to about August this year and a few guys with NFA Trusts decide to file ATF form 1's for the manufacture of new machine guns, last week one gets a phone call from the ATF stating his form was approved in error, and urges the filer to not go thru with the building and please return the stamp ASAP.

There is now a legal battle and possible class action lawsuit growing legs with a few attorneys taking this up. So far there have been rumors of up to 100 or more aprovals, but so far only one has publicly stepped forward. Of the hearsays, supposedly someone has acted upon the issued stamp and built what could possibly be one of the first new MGs in public hands since 1986.

Link to ARFCOM thread, OP is updated as new developments arise, no need to read the so far 50 some pages to see whats going on.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/162446 ... tml&page=1

Heees to hoping this goes well and perhaps the at least Hughs will be struck down, this would be a major win, but its one big hail mary in the direction of the endzone.

-James
 #101439  by DragonJames

I feel that would be an easier fight to be won if this goes the right direction, some are tossing around the Heller "in common use" vein in hopes it can be argued that they are in common use but modified to comply with 922o as AR15s and semi auto AKs. Would be nice but atm its all speculation and planning. Be nice to see at least Hughs fall, then mayby after that '68 and '34, but thats me being really optimistic...
 #101456  by Owen

I'd love to get them all throw out for the unconstitutional laws that they are. The government cannot be "more equal" because their authority comes from the people. We authorize them not the other way around.

The only NFA things I'd want would be SBRs and suppressors. The spray and pray of full auto is pretty useless in my book.
 #101458  by DragonJames

Looks like the latest update i saw is the lawyer is going to be taking a shot at the whole NFA, and not just the post 86 ban.

While i agree that FA is rather useless in usual shooting activity, id probably have more than a few if i didnt have to be treated like a sex offender and pay insane prices for it, and my deuce is BEGGING to have a Ma Deuce mounted on her [emoji41]
 #101463  by astro_wanabe

DragonJames wrote:While i agree that FA is rather useless in usual shooting activity, id probably have more than a few if i didnt have to be treated like a sex offender and pay insane prices for it, and my deuce is BEGGING to have a Ma Deuce mounted on her [emoji41]
If we didn't have these restrictions in the first place nearly every AR and AK pattern rifle in existence would be select-fire just as they were originally designed. I wouldn't use the FA setting very often, but it would be there. Select fire rifles might not be in "common use" by civilians in this country, but only as a direct result of burdensome government prohibition. Otherwise a very large percentage of firearms would be select fire (probably not most handguns or shotguns though, simply due to difficulty of use).
 #101468  by Owen

I like where this story is going. Thanks for the updates!

As far as FA: my buddy who was deployed in Iraq etc said that even three round burst on a carbine wasn't used. They played with them from time to time but he said you really want to make each shot count in combat. 30 rounds sounds like a lot but it's not enough when you run out. He said FA was used more in the truck guns (M2, M240) because in that context (and belt fed!) it could be used for suppressing and multiple targets. He said even when he shot the M2 he tried to keep it to one at a time. He said it is actually very accurate if controlled. The M2 cycles slow relatively so short bursts were useful but again belt fed. I might consider FA if I had a belt fed gun. :troll:
 #101471  by DragonJames

astro_wanabe wrote: If we didn't have these restrictions in the first place nearly every AR and AK pattern rifle in existence would be select-fire just as they were originally designed. I wouldn't use the FA setting very often, but it would be there. Select fire rifles might not be in "common use" by civilians in this country, but only as a direct result of burdensome government prohibition. Otherwise a very large percentage of firearms would be select fire (probably not most handguns or shotguns though, simply due to difficulty of use).
This is one of the bigger sticking points being thrown around, along with MGs over 50yo are not considerd C&R so they must, by deffinition, not be bizar or obscure pieces, and are only really obscure in the greater sense due to the government prohibition on them.

Someone also chucked in the thread a link to a news article about Sen. Senssenbrenner(sp?) Proposing to abolish the ATF and roll their duties into FBI and DEA.
 #101949  by DragonJames

BIG UPDATE!!!!

Funding link now posted, and a slight tick in the news from examiner.com (was apparently linked on yahoo news front page early this morning)

Article Link: http://www.examiner.com/article/attorne ... al-grounds

Funding Link: http://www.gofundme.com/fmxlnk

And heres again to hoping we can score a big win and get this mess overturned and get some more rights back, if it falls on the .fedgov side then it wont be hard to knock over individual state bans such as ours.

- James