Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #104170  by astro_wanabe

Suppressor ownership is one of the top 2 things I'd like to see changed the most about DE gun laws - the other being repealing the ban on carry in state parks.

If there isn't a single group of supporters with enough sway to get this changed on their own it may be beneficial to focus on building a coalition to show how diverse the support for legalization is. For example, some groups that might be persuaded to show support, or at least indicate that they wouldn't be negatively impacted:
-Gun owners that want to own one (obviously)
-Residents near gun ranges that have complained about noise.
-Residents that complain about hunting / shooting noise
-Animal rights activists worried about the impact of hunting / shooting noise on natural habitats
-Dealers that would be interested in selling suppressors
-National industry stakeholders, likely through the American Suppressor Association
-LEO groups (if not willing to outright support, might at least indicate they have no objection)
-Local politicians

While each of these groups could be interfaced with directly, such as by contacting potential dealers in person, I think a lot of them could also be reached through various activist organizations. This would both make reaching them easier and add extra support to the movement if you can get the groups to officially sign on in support.

Also need to draw up advertising messages tailored to the various potential support groups - benefits of safety to gun owners, benefits of reduced noise to community stakeholders, benefits of sales to dealers, etc. The ASA and DSSA come to mind as potentially being resources for interfacing with legislators (the ASA having seen what works in other states, DSSA having experience locally).

oh, and +1 on changing the thread title to something more descriptive.
 #104176  by brich2929

phlydude wrote:If you were to legally purchase a suppressor, would you shoot it only in DE? If not, would you own it via trust?
Crossing state lines without written approval is a no-no and for the range I would want to go to, would involve a bit of preplanning.

I believe that there is no requirement to file a 5320.20 with respect to suppressors.

Now, MG's and SBR's are a different story
 #105494  by hukuzatuna

Sorry for revitalizing an old thread, but did this ever go anywhere? I would certainly like to be able to own suppressors (even though I'd have to change the barrels when OCing in VA), particularly for my precision long-range rifle. I know I'd like to have my Glock suppressed for home defense use.

Cheers,
Phil
 #105497  by astro_wanabe

hukuzatuna wrote:Sorry for revitalizing an old thread, but did this ever go anywhere?
Not that I'm aware of. The American Suppressor Association and others managed to get 2 more states to legalize suppressors this year, raising the score to 41 allowing and 9 prohibiting. I haven't seen any groups state that they're trying to legalize them here though, so unless there's something going on behind the scenes, there's probably not been much happening. We've had a hard enough time recently just trying to stop anti-gun legislation.
 #105502  by hukuzatuna

astro_wanabe wrote: We've had a hard enough time recently just trying to stop anti-gun legislation.
Yeah, I hear you. That's one of the most valuable benefits of my NRA membership - the legislation updates. There are few things that actually motivate me to contact my legislators, but anti-gun bills will certainly do the trick. I'm actually contemplating moving to a more gun-friendly state, or at least one that allows possession of suppressors.

Cheers,
Phil
 #106164  by Mirlen

hukuzatuna wrote: I'm actually contemplating moving to a more gun-friendly state, or at least one that allows possession of suppressors.
It's a short move a few miles north to PA :) full auto too if you need to waste more money ;-P
 #106393  by Owen

There is a bill proposed in the house to remove suppressors from NFA and consider them as long guns. IT has some preemption in it but I am not sure if that means Delawares ban would remain.

Hearing Protection Act of 2015

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015102 ... essor-laws

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr3799/text
 #107458  by pick_six

just bumping this. several states have used the "hearing protection" aspect recently to make suppressors legal.

iowa has a bill they are trying to get through now.

also, an op/ed published in the LATimes, yeah, go figure, was also a well laid out case. it included a history of why suppressors are "so bad" and why they should be allowed.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

also, if you guys did push this, one of the possible "legit" reasons the state legislature could be pushed on is special management hunts, association with the master hunting license program. i don't recall any of these hunts occurring recently, but it could help to ask folks about them.

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Hunter ... unter.aspx

iirc, places in the area of the old dupont golf course/?louviers?/forget what it's called now, were such places. there is some state and i think county public land in the area that had the master hunts.

the overpopulation of deer all up and down the roads in the area, between kirkwood highway and the state line, the small strips of public land, and the special hunts and permits, would be really a good selling point for suppressed fire. it may also require some changes to the hunting laws/regs, like use of rifles.

but in these cases, something like a suppressed ar/300bo would be interesting for thinning out the 4 legged hazards.

while hunting may not be, or IS NOT, the only viable use for suppressed fire, it could be a good door opener for suppressed shooting. getting dnrec support could help.

in the land of biden, i don't think much else will get things to loosen up. and the rich folk in the nw corner of the state may even support suppressors so they don't total their nice mercedes driving around hill country.
Owen wrote:There is a bill proposed in the house to remove suppressors from NFA and consider them as long guns. IT has some preemption in it but I am not sure if that means Delawares ban would remain.

Hearing Protection Act of 2015

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015102 ... essor-laws

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr3799/text