Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #105432  by pick_six

an interesting perspective on limits placed on marriage and 2a rights from the constitutional law perspective.

if something is a right, and ruled that limits can not exist, or bans, based on it being a right, what effect does that have on the way laws are being made in relation to the the 2a.

this is an interesting read. the attached brief written by someone that appears AGM, and maybe pro gun, seems to make a pretty strong case for rulings in favor of the 2a based on the logic applied in the GM suit. equal treatment under law.

if a marriage license and marriage must be honored in all states, why wouldn't concealed carry permits, or even blanket open carry?

http://bearingarms.com/can-gay-couples- ... bergefell/

down towards the bottom of the document, in the document linking to the full listing of the brief, is the explicit 2a link... but also a part of which is in the excerpt.

also of interest, the writer notes that the courts, in almost all cases has throw out populist ideas (what the population of most states desire, as noted by citizen votes), and says forget that. we (scotus) will determine what you want. yeah, i paraphrased that somewhat, but it's the general point.

so, equal treatment, NATION WIDE, can trump state law/rights. remember, cali even went so far as to pass a STATE constitutional amendment in the 2000's prohibiting ssm.
 #105433  by David

Saw an article this morning form the Texas AG saying that counties could ignore the SCOTUS ruling, and that the state would back them if they get sued.
 #105434  by pick_six

Ignore the gay marriage ruling? Ouch

Ignore the gun side effect? Sure, because we all hate guns!

Scotus may have really set things a blender this time
David wrote:Saw an article this morning form the Texas AG saying that counties could ignore the SCOTUS ruling, and that the state would back them if they get sued.
 #105436  by 2xTony

I think this whole gay marrige thing is just a well timed distraction for that TPP trade bill the american public isnt allowed to read. While everyone is talking about these "passion" issues, were getting sold out
 #105438  by pick_six

Not that scotus can't go all hypocrite on us, but their logic in this case is my focus.

Basically, nullification of states rights. And consider nj ny ca gun laws in light of this case.

If states that had state constitutional, ala cali, or laws against ssm, must honor all ssm licenses, what must they do in regard to 2a things like open or concealed carry.

That said, their application of logic may not be consistent as several if them are just plain old anti 2a. SotoKagen most notably.

While tpp may be a huge sellout, I am trying to focus the 2a aspect and their logic.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've always wondered how nj and cali got away with something about a hair short of a complete carry ban and why my constitutional rights end at the state line.
2xTony wrote:I think this whole gay marrige thing is just a well timed distraction for that TPP trade bill the american public isnt allowed to read. While everyone is talking about these "passion" issues, were getting sold out