Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #110903  by SCUBA9097

Statement from Governor Carney:

"In the coming weeks, my team will work closely with lawmakers to craft legislation that would prohibit the sale of assault-style rifles in Delaware. As we have seen in Las Vegas, Parkland, and in many other horrific incidents across our country, military-style weapons can be used to carry out catastrophic acts of violence. They have no place on the streets of our neighborhoods."

https://news.delaware.gov/2018/02/23/st ... fety-laws/
 #110911  by SCUBA9097

Statement from Republican House Minority Leader Danny Short:

Whenever there is a horrendous event involving firearms and a large loss of life, there is a knee-jerk reaction to do something, anything, to fight the horror and pain. That is an understandable human response, but it is a poor way to make meaningful public policy.

We had a federal ban on assault weapons between 1994 and 2004. It proved ineffective.

One of the problems then, as now, is defining an “assault weapon.” True assault weapons – rifles capable of fully automatic fire – are already illegal for most Americans to own and have been for decades.

What the governor apparently means by the provocative term is any semi-automatic rifle resembling a military weapon, like the AR-15 rifle used in the recent Florida tragedy. According to the National Rifle Association, Americans own about five million AR-15s alone. Millions more semi-automatic rifles of other types are also owned by Americans – the vast majority of which will never be employed in any crime. Such rifles are ubiquitous.

It also needs to be stressed that violent crime in our nation has dropped dramatically. According to the Pew Research Center (using FBI data) the violent crime rate in the U.S. has fallen by 48% between 1993 and 2016.

Passing laws to restrict the basic firearms ownership rights, guaranteed by both our federal and state constitutions, is not the answer to reducing the anomalous incidents of mass violence perpetrated by a few deranged individuals.

I, and my caucus colleagues, generally support a ban on the sale and use of so-called bump-stocks and trigger-crank devices.

And, in lieu of HB 302 (the Beau Biden Gun Violence Prevention Act), we support enactment of House Bill 285, which will create procedures for making sure firearms do not find their way into the hands of dangerous people, while protecting due process and avoiding the creation of barriers to treat those suffering from mental illnesses.

In contrast to HB 302, HB 285 has bipartisan support and is far more comprehensive in its approach.

The proposed assault weapon sales ban is a misguided effort that will only serve to further politically polarize Delawareans with no hope of making any real impact on the desired goal of reducing isolated incidents of mass violence. I instead urge the governor to work in a non-partisan fashion with all the members of the 149th General Assembly to create rational laws that will actually make a difference.
 #110913  by pick_six

the devil will be in the details. not that i agree with any of the details, i and i don't support this in any form. that said, if they pass this, what happens to those who own them now?

if you purchased before the effective date, are you legal? how would they know when you purchased?

if, like ca/nj/etc, you move (back) to delaware, after the effective date, and bring one with you, what then?

will they make the current law abiding owners of ar's in delaware felons? would it be a misdemeanor resulting in confiscation? raiding your residence? taking all guns? or those that dont comply with the new rule? would a remington 7400, browning BAR (not the m1918, but the hunting version similar to the remmy), or the benelli, etc?
 #110914  by SCUBA9097

These will all add up to the million dollar question.

Normally, I'll hear little bits and pieces here and there on upcoming legislation through the network. This time however, it's been 'radio silence', and that concerns me.

I'll try to update if anything comes to light. In the meantime, spread the word as loud and as often as possible.