Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #111011  by California_Exile

https://www.facebook.com/delaware.gunsh ... =3&theater

The usual suspects are at it again. This bill doesn't appear to have been introduced yet, but it's a conscious copy of the Maryland 2013 ban, with all the insanity that comes with that.

Possibly a lightning rod by the electorally-invulnerable to help them sneak through a "more reasonable compromise." :roll:

It's really kind of sad that the author (Sen. Townsend) has a bar license and holds himself out as practicing law. This is a pathetic level of legislative drafting, pretty obviously just a "let's throw it at the wall and see what sticks" kind of deal. Um, leaving aside the total and flagrant disrespect for enumerated constitutional rights, of course...

Looking ahead to inevitable litigation: "So, you banned the AR-15, huh? Funny, AR-15s had been on the market and freely available to civilians for over 20 years when Article I, Section 20 was added to the Delaware Constitution, and that was over 30 years ago. We aren't talking about some devastating new technology that the Framers in the musket era couldn't have dreamed of. I mean, you'd think if the General Assembly meant to carve out AR-15s from being protected 'arms,' they might have said something about it..."
 #111012  by NormH3

The Senator happens to represent my district. I follow him on FB and he has yet to mention this although I have seen it elsewhere. For those that may not remember, he ran against Blunt in the Democrat primary for the Congressional seat. He has high goals for himself and I think he's trying to get his name out there. His father is a retired LEO and I would love to hear his opinion on what his son is doing. Perhaps he agrees..
 #111013  by pick_six

A late in life discovery, for me. Ayn Rand.
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kinds of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted—and you create a nation of lawbreakers—and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.
 #111035  by California_Exile

The really funny thing is that the MD State Police give guidance on what is and isn't banned as an "assault weapon." When I looked at their official list earlier this week, it said that there were two specific model numbers of the Ruger AR-556 that were banned, but two different model numbers of the same rifle that were not, and the SR-556 isn't banned either. (Similar story with other manufacturers.)

If I thought laws meant anything and standards of review meant anything beyond the whim of the judges interpreting it, I'd be yelling about this not even having a rational basis.

But the rational basis is "let's disarm the normal people." That's all it ever is. The legislators and the judges either get away with that, or they don't.