Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #1243  by bms429

I have thought about it and want to do it once I get my own house and pay off some of my student loans. What bout you guys? Ever think about running for a local government office? State Rep, Sen, etc?

Can I count on your votes when the time comes? haha
 #1245  by stephpd

I just don't have the stomach for such a career. Just reading about some of the stuff that goes on puts my stomach in knots.

Political activist, maybe. Would have to be something I feel passionately about. I've never even used a bumper sticker in my life.

As far as you running, go for it if you want.
What are your positions on:
Gun control
Crime control
Campaign finance
Energy policy
Pollution control
Air quality (in DE)
Recycling

Did I miss any?
Depending on your answers to the above are how I make my decisions. Not necessarily in any particular order but by a majority of similar feelings toward each.
Last edited by stephpd on Sat May 24, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1251  by Wynder

I'll give a go at this...

Gun control: I will move to make Delaware a Shall Issue state. I'd create legislation to make the state Shall Issue and remove the ridiculous requirement to post your personal information in the newspaper. I'd encourage people to carry openly or concealed and take responsibility for the safety of themselves, their family and, if they so desire, their own neighborhoods through watch programs.

Crime control: With more citizens carrying firearms, our job will be easier here. I'd encourage more community-based programs for first-time, non-violent offenders as an alternative to jail time. For those offenders who warrant incarceration, I'd attempt to make sure there are programs available to actual rehabilitate and change the behavior, also using work programs as a source of income to offset the cost of the inmates' stay and to build ties between the inmate and the employer to potentially secure a job after their time is served.

Campaign finance: Whomever would like to finance my campaign is more than welcome to contribute. I make no promises to any special interest groups, rather I will serve the needs and interests of my constituency and ensure the Constitution lives on every day.

Wind farms: If the result is lower energy bills for the Delaware citizen, absolutely. With the recent massive price hike from DelMarVa and now Artesian making a bid for a 29% increase in your water bill, we need to find a way to make life economically feasible by letting the free market work and giving the power companies competition to drive prices down.

Pollution control/Air quality (in DE): Putting these two together because they go hand in hand. Sadly, with our current state of affairs, refineries -- a large cause of our polution and air quality issues, are a necessity. The massive fines imposed on Delaware City Refineries have driven out at least two different oil companies over the past 15 years. In a time when America needs more refineries to help citizens cope with rising gasoline prices, I'd look to offer heavy tax incentives for a company to come in to refurbish the refineries and run them safely and as clean as possible on the condition that they, in exchange, sell locally first (lower shipping costs == cheaper gas) and to devote a program on developing alternative energy sources.

Recycling: As long as it is at the cost of the people, it should be completely optional. I think media campaigns promoting recycling drop-off locations would definitely be beneficial, I'm not going to put the burden of paying to recycle on the people.

Adding in a couple of other topics that were omitted.

Abortion: As a father of two very lovely and very energetic daughters, I believe that abortion is a choice of the mother that I fervently hope she doesn't take. That being said, I do not condone late-term or partial birth abortions where the head of the child is delivered (part of a normal delivery) and a sharp instrument is inserted into the skull, evacuating the cranial cavity. This is murder masking itself under the laws where it is not considered such simply because the entire child has not yet left the birth canal.

Gay Marriage: If a male or female couple wishes to be as miserable as I am, more power to them. :) They are more than welcome to enter into civil unions; however, I do not think that churches should be forced to marry gay couples. I do believe, although, that churches who refuse to marry a couple based on their gender make-up should loose their tax-exempt status.

-------------
Well.... How'd I do? :)
 #1254  by stephpd

You're my hero!
xoxoxoxoxo
:pbjtime: :pbjtime: :pbjtime: :pbjtime: :pbjtime: :pbjtime:

VOTE FOR ROB
:D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Last edited by stephpd on Sun May 25, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1255  by Wynder

Care to elaborate a bit more one what you agree with or might not be completely in sync with?
 #1258  by stephpd

With the two party system and all the bickering we have a country divided. I hold that the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution of the United States, the Bill of Rights and all amendments to be held in high regard.The same for each states Constitution. And the only laws we need. But we need to find a common ground where more then just half agree. To make change, we must strive for much better.

On this Memorial Day weekend we should not just honor those that fought and died for this Country, but those that lived to form this new government. And so it is that I am starting this post not to just honor those that have served with honor but also those that will follow in this same pursuit.

I would like everyones input so that this may become an area where most can agree on and what we think should be done to correct the course that our Country has taken. I believe that the only way that change can truly happen is we come together, agree in principle and set forth on the right path.

With that said these are the areas of concern and the things I'd like to see changed. and this web based debate being a new way to come to agreement.

Gun control---We are fighting this problem from the wrong direction. We need to bring back the States Militia (Guard). All voluntary, discount on guns and ammo supplies, range fees. Offer qualifications on different weapons.
What is our federal government doing with all it's old small arms? Didn't WE already buy these?Give them back!
Tie the militia to drivers license for discounts and qualifications. A simple check mark on driver license renewal is all the paperwork involved.
Only requirement for State Guard duty is open carry of weapon of choice, including long guns.
I'd change the age requirements to 18 - 80 years old.
Baseball caps and t-shirts with state guard symbol on state colored clothing optional. Polo's, Button down shirts.
Only used in state emergencies or to help other states (optional).
Donations freely accepted. I'll give!
This is being discussed here;
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum15/11120.html
All input is welcome.
I truly believe that with a State Guard that peoples fears of guns would diminish quickly, making the second part of the Second Amendment so much more easy.

Crime control--This is an area of great concern. To decrease crime in general. Severe in the punishment but just in it's application.
First and many will disagree.-- Legalize, regulate and tax heavily all illegal drugs. Tax based on how dangerous. Pot the least,Coke the worst. Alcohol, tobacco and heroin in between.
Take away the profit and the gangs will go. And murders and all the crime that go's with it will leave.Prohibition has never worked.
For victim less crime -- monetary fines, no jail time.
For crimes against property -- same as above but 200% of all costs. Lawyer,courts time etc.
non violent felonious crimes -- work no pay. Kinda work release but back in jail before lights out at 8pm.
For violent felonious crimes--maximum penalties, no plea bargain.Stack multiple charges and you still work, but sh** jobs armed security watching. Like cleaning up states highways.
DUI - license revoked. Second offense felony.This needs a great deal of work since the potential to do harm to others is severe.
This is also being discussed here and is a work in progress. Again all input welcome
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic ... orum_id=15

Campaign finance--$2000 per citizen per candidate, unlimited to the party. Corporate donations to the party only, none to the individual to keep undue influence.
All TV stations, including every cable channel, must donate 1 hr/day to political debate instead of infomercial. Pay channels and pay per view would be exempt. Can be any time of day.As more people start watching the late, late, late political debates it would be moved to a more appropriate time with viewer call in.
TV and the MEDIA Way out of control! Like I need to tell a bunch of 'gun nuts'.
I don't even know where to start.

So much disinformation,repetition and propaganda.Everywhere.

Politicians, Judges and Doctors--- need close scrutiny. Why do we have to be tested and they don't?
Judges the strictest, monthly random drug testing for all mind altering drugs including prescription drug. Judges lose job for any infraction,
Politicians and doctors it would be quarterly. Politicians and doctor have that information made public, state web site and /or newspaper. Don't lose job, but you'll never get another job or customer. Well maybe lose job, I'm still undecided.

Energy policy-- no objection to your proposals except having Artesian charging current customers for future customer hook up. That should be added to price of new house.

Also review Tesla idea about wireless transmission of electricity. Like TV and radio. Make sure it's safe. 75% of cost is in transmission.
Look at 100% tax rebate from state/fed amortized over 7 years for all solar panels,hot water solar,home insulation and low-e glass windows.
Rebates would be proportional between state and federal tax.
25% tax rebate for electrical generation and businesses.
All new passenger vehicles minimum 45 mpg.

We have got to reduce our dependence on oil.Just the above meauses would reduce our consumption in half!

Pollution-- require DC refinery to switch to low sulfur oils. Heavy fines for exhaust emissions over current law.All fines would come out of board of directors salaries or stock options
All diesel engines must pass stringent exhaust emissions like cars.
Look towards gas turbine engines with variable speed transmissions instead of reciprocal engines. Less parts and way more efficient.Look at pumps for an example. Come to my job, I'll show you! WE have a piston pump that over 100 years old.
Put most highway tax dollars towards reducing traffic jams (Churchmans Marsh, 202)
Sitting in traffic just wastes fuel.

Recycling--multiple trash cans required, presorted. glass, plastic, degradable. Create businesses to process these materials.

Abortion-- Last resort. Work toward and encourage easier adoptions.All prenatal medical costs cover by adopter's insurance.

Gay marriage--I don't care. If they want to go ahead. It's a states issue. not a church issue unless that church disapproves. Just go to court house or a different church.

Taxes-- Truly progressive this includes Medicare, Social Security.Others? All inclusive.
Federal
$0-20,00-- no taxes at all. including Medicare, Social Security.
$20-100,000-- 10%
100,000-- 1,000,000-- 20%
1,000,000 - 1,000,000,000-- 30%
Over that amount35- 45% to make up the difference and pay down debt.
One it's payed down we either save, invest and own or loan to others countries.
All income including stock dividends or however they are avoiding paying is taxed at these rates.

State-- Along the same lines as Federal but much lower percentage I'm not sure at what percents?
Any thoughts?

City and County-- See State

This is a work in progress. Changes and additions will be following! :D

That's how I feel.
There are just minor differences in the details.
I'd vote for you Rob!
You could be The Next President of The United States!
"I'm King of the world Ma!"
If you want a job in this sign up early!
Positions are filling rapidly!

This is fun for me, hopefully others as well.
I'd like input for gun control and crime control discussed at:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum15/

I personally want those two to stay at the top of that page. All are invited to participate. The other topics I'd like to keep here. OK? :D

Maybe, eventually, each topic will have it's own page.

To keep this from getting huge I'd suggest each person make one entry to this thread and edit it as you coalesce your thoughts.
And use one, I volunteer mine to be the final draft.
I suggest We The People's Party, or The Peoples Party but that sound kinda communistic.
Final draft by unanimous consent, 75% or 67% ? Which would be best?
I'd start another one for myself but not sure how. Rob, can you duplicate this one and we rename We The people's Party? Passed my skills. :pointlaugh:

I think that as these thought gel that we will find we have similar thoughts on how these things can be solved.
And either create a new party or force the parties in power to start seeing things our way and force compliance.

As we come together on these things, and this thing grows we can get to more important pages on the web and this could really take off.
I don't know if this is possible or not. :roll:
It's my dream!

Thank ya, thank ya very much!
I'm here all weekend. Shows at 6:00,8:00 and 11:00
Please tip your waiters and waitresses.

:pointlaugh: Steve
 #1440  by Gotarheels03

1st thing I'd want to do. Do away with the "Commerce Clause." Judicial precedent based upon it has done more to destroy the Constitution than anything else in history IMO.
 #1547  by LordJim

Gay Marriage: If a male or female couple wishes to be as miserable as I am, more power to them. :) They are more than welcome to enter into civil unions; however, I do not think that churches should be forced to marry gay couples. I do believe, although, that churches who refuse to marry a couple based on their gender make-up should loose their tax-exempt status.
I'm all for civil unions of same sex couples, it's not -my- cup of tea, but they aren't hurting anyone, so go for it.

However, the idea that you'd consider taking away a church's tax-exempt status for refusing to do something that they so strongly disagree with is, in my humble opinion, a terrible and perhaps even dangerous idea. Using the government to interfere with or even dictate private religious beliefs? Take a moment to remember our past, to remember why our forefathers came here in the first place.

-
Jim
 #1548  by Wynder

In my eyes, it's another form of discrimination to me.. to qualify under 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, the organization "...must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests," so, with that in mind, I don't think it would be influencing peoples' religion through the government... if they were allowed to keep their tax-exempt status, I think that would be akin to sanctioned discrimination.

Private Golf clubs, cigar and gentlemen's clubs... sure, they're not tax-exempt. The church is required to operate not of their own interests -- if they want to, that's absolutely their prerogative, but then they shouldn't have that status.
 #1553  by stephpd

Wynder wrote:In my eyes, it's another form of discrimination to me.. to qualify under 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, the organization "...must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests," so, with that in mind, I don't think it would be influencing peoples' religion through the government... if they were allowed to keep their tax-exempt status, I think that would be akin to sanctioned discrimination.

Private Golf clubs, cigar and gentlemen's clubs... sure, they're not tax-exempt. The church is required to operate not of their own interests -- if they want to, that's absolutely their prerogative, but then they shouldn't have that status.
The thing is, the marriage license is a state document. There is no need to use a church. A judge can marry you. And even with a church wedding the license is still returned to the state. Just get some witnesses to sign, then return it to the court house.

When Brenda and I got married we went through some BS. I'm catholic (not really, I quit) and she's protestant. They wanted her to convert. Similar problem with the Baptist church I was a member of. And they all wanted us to attend marriage counciling. Ended up getting married at a Swedenborgen church. We didn't even have to join the church.
Made for some great pictures.
Married 19 years.