Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #84991  by Boots

radnor wrote:I plan on taking a half day vaca to be there.
I'll be there too.
 #84999  by gheart

Just read that they're having a hearing today at 2:30pm for HB58... If anyone is going for that, I'd love to hear how it went.
 #85000  by stephpd

Boots wrote:
radnor wrote:I plan on taking a half day vaca to be there.
I'll be there too.
Me too, though I'm on graveyards so I'm actually off during these hours.
 #85015  by brich2929

Had to work today but here's the text of the letter I sent to each sponsor, co-sponsor, and House Administration Committee members regarding HB58:

Wednesday, May 01, 2013
Dear Representatives:
Regarding HB58, entitled AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 11 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO PROHIBITED CONDUCT IN CONNECTION WITH LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINES, I am asking you to oppose this bill for the following reasons-
1. This bill is an encroachment upon on the 2nd Amendment, which you have sworn in your oaths to uphold. That amendment states the following “A well-regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”. According to the Oxford Dictionary, the definition of infringe is: act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on: his legal rights were being infringed. A search for the word infringe on search engine Bing.com perhaps states it even more clearly: encroach on somebody's rights or property: to take over land, rights, privileges, or activities that belong to somebody else, especially in a minor or gradual way.

2. Almost all modern semiautomatic handguns ship with magazines that hold 10 or more rounds- Glock, Beretta, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Springfield, Ruger, etc. just to name a few- this bill would not only prohibit open carry of these firearms with standard capacity magazines, but there also is no provision in this bill, as currently written, for even concealed carry holders, who have already undergone stringent background checks and verification by the state. I have to wonder why you’ve not written in a provision that would provide CCDW holders that courtesy.

3. The number of rounds in a magazine which you have proposed, (10) is an arbitrarily assigned number. On what do you base that allowance? Could someone carry an unlimited amount of such magazines? What reasoning do you have behind such a limitation? What’s the difference whether someone carries 3 10-round magazines or 2 15 round magazines? I ask that you take a few minutes to watch the following shooting demonstration-
http://ow.ly/jCxVg

4. I think I could be in favor of this bill if it were to enact MANDATORY sentences for commission of a violent crime while in possession of a firearm with a magazine capable of holding 10 rounds or more, or even go one better MANDATORY sentences for commission of ANY violent crime with ANY firearm. By doing so, you would not be punishing law-abiding citizens as you are doing with HB58 as it now stands, but instead working hard to take the criminals and thugs off our streets.
Thanks for your time,

My Name
My Address
My Phone Number
 #85039  by stephpd

Sadly, the politicians and supporters of this bill think less of us then they do of the police and the criminals. At least that what I got out of the hearing. Knowing the criminals won't obey this law and are already banned from owning guns. And that the police are more equal then the rest of us. All I could surmise is they actually wish us harm by making us take the time to reload when the criminals will still be shooting.

Because the disconnect that somehow since the law abiding will follow this law and carry guns with only 10 round mags so will the criminals. Their logic escapes me.

Or that they see no legal problem with basically banning a huge percentage of pistols that hold more then 10 rounds. I pointed out this , after two Supreme Court decisions (Miller and Heller) where both talk about 'in common use'. And most pistols having a larger then 10 round magazine as standard capacity when they were sold. Literally making these guns banned since you can no longer use them as intended for self defense when outside the home. Nor sell them or hand them down to your kids or grand kids. Because I know of no way to permanently alter a magazine to hold only 10 rounds without also making it impossible to disassemble them to clean.

But the worst part is watching these representatives mutilate any understanding of guns then also make and or support these same laws. First up would be the AG guy that showed pictures and stated that .223 rounds were fired from an AK-47. :? Then the representative that didn't know that most .22 rifles have detachable magazines and reads the law about tubular mags and calls all the emailers quacks. :roll: Or that this law would apply to pistols. Most of them only thinking about rifles, as if they are what's used in the majority of shootings and self defense cases outside the home.

Or the misunderstanding about renewals of CCDW's and that, yes, we too are submitted to background checks each and every time. Sadly the AG's guy had left and didn't explain that renewals are submitted to them for approval prior to it going to the judge. But I would have expected the 'supporters' that were ex cops to know this but sadly didn't. They continued with the belief that we only pass the background check with the original application and no further checks. :shock:

But by far the best (worst) is the admittance that this law probably won't make any difference but that it's a step in the right direction. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
 #85209  by David

Committee meeting hearings for Wed. May 8.

House Health & Human Development
House Chamber
05/08/2013 03:00:00 PM
HB 88 AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 11 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO POSSESSION OF DEADLY WEAPONS BY PERSONS PROHIBITED AND TITLE 16 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO HEALTH AND SAFETY.
SYNOPSIS
This Act is designed to create procedures in Delaware for making sure firearms are not in the hands of dangerous people while protecting due process and not creating a barrier to care for those suffering from mental illness. Unlike other states, this Act intends to put Delaware at the forefront of this important issue by not simply looking narrowly for mental illness. Statistically, mental illness has little to do with homicide perpetration but conversely increases the chance of being a victim of violence. This bill looks instead for propensities of violence, a much more reliable and evidence-based metric. This metric will also ensure that we can provide care to those more likely to commit violent acts and help destigmatize mental illness here in Delaware. Specific components of this Act are set forth below.
http://legis.delaware.gov/LIS/lis147.ns ... endocument

House Judiciary
House Chamber
05/08/2013 12:30:00 PM
HB 72 AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 11 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO THE UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A CONCEALED WEAPON.
This Act will establish a one year minimum mandatory prison sentence to be imposed upon any person convicted of unlawfully carrying a concealed firearm.

HB 82 AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 11 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO PENALTIES FOR POSSESSION AND PURCHASE OF DEADLY WEAPONS BY PERSONS PROHIBITED.
This Act establishes that the minimum sentence of incarceration to be imposed upon any person who is convicted of illegally possessing a firearm while negligently causing serious physical injury or death through the use of such firearm shall be six (6) years, unless the defendant caused such injury or death within ten (10) years of a previous conviction for a violent felony in which case the minimum sentence shall be eight (8) years; or unless the defendant caused such injury or death after two (2) previous convictions for violent felonies in which case the minimum sentence shall be fifteen (15) years.