Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #82828  by George

reply from Gary Simpson:

Thanks George for the input. I agree with your position fully.

Gary
 #84394  by brich2929

Here's my letter-sent to all Committee members and Sponsors/co-sponsors-I personalized each letter sent.

Honorable Charles Potter, Jr.
Delaware Legislature
P.O. Box 1401
Dover, DE 19903

4/17/2013

Dear Representative Potter,
Please be advised that I am writing in order to ask you not to proceed with SB23 AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 22 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO MUNICIPALITIES AND LIMITATIONS ON FIREARM REGULATIONS.

This bill would not make any community safer, and in in fact would severely detriment responsible law-abiding gun owners, as it would increase the hurdles we must go through to protect our God-Given, Constitutionally mandated rights, the most important of which is to protect us, the citizens from Government tyranny.
Not only do we, as gun owners, have to fight federal legislation, but also state legislation, of which you are aware. Now, you have co-sponsored a bill that would allow Wilmington and other locales to additionally limit gun ownership rights. The law enacted in Title 22 in 1985 rightly ended practices that strip away and defeat legislation ALREADY on the books, much of which isn’t enforced at this time. If you truly wish to stop gun crimes, please support enforcement of laws already on the books to put away the criminal element from the moment they are caught. Additionally, the number figures for deaths caused by gunfire as listed in the text of SB23 are misleading, as of that roughly 30,000 figure, two thirds are suicides, which has been a consistent figure for years.

Your figures also fail to include the number of lives SAVED by gun possession, whether fired or merely displayed as a deterrent. I suspect those figures, were they available, would drastically change the subject at hand.
I would be pleased to discuss with you further this legislation

Sincerely,

Richard T Bishop, Sr.