Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #85075  by Kuntryboy816

Today's New Urinal....

DOVER — Gun-control legislation that would ban the sale of high-capacity ammunition magazines is headed to the full House for consideration following a 3-2 House committee vote Wednesday.

The bill would make it illegal in Delaware to manufacture or sell magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds. If anyone owns an existing magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds, they can use it in private settings such as a shooting range or keep it in their home.

Supporters of the legislation, sponsored by Elsmere Democratic Rep. John “Larry” Mitchell and backed by Gov. Jack Markell, argue limiting magazine capacity could limit the number of victims in a mass shooting.

“A ban on large capacity magazines will not prevent the next mass shooting, but what it can do is reduce the number of victims shot or the number of victims killed in the event such a tragedy were to occur in Delaware,” said Andy Lippstone, chief legal counsel to Markell.

Current and retired qualified law enforcement officials would be exempt.

Opponents of the bill say criminals will not abide by the letter of the law, and it potentially will leave victims defenseless in the face of an attack. They also argue that many standard-issue magazines hold up to 15 rounds of ammunition, saying the bill potentially would outlaw common weapons.

“This bill will needlessly restrict our ability to defend ourselves against multiple assailants,” said Tom Whittendale, of Hartly, who wore a shirt reading “Crime Control not Gun Control.”

House Speaker Pete Schwartzkopf, who supported the bill’s release from the House Administration committee, said he would consider amendments to increase the magazine sizes allowable under the proposal. Markell would not say Wednesday whether he would favor such an amendment.

Colin Goddard, who was shot four times during the 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech that killed 32 and wounded 17 others, was in Dover to advocate for the legislation, saying that “reducing the capacity of the magazine reduces the capability of the killer.”

(Page 2 of 2)

Macky Marker, of Odessa, questioned the exemption for members of law enforcement. “We all face the same threats when we leave our homes,” Marker said. “You’re hamstringing our ability to protect ourselves from criminals who will continue to keep the weapons regardless.”

The bill is the latest in a series of gun-control proposals pushed by Markell, Attorney General Beau Biden and Lt. Gov. Matt Denn in the wake of the December shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

A proposal to require background checks on private gun sales awaits Markell’s signature. Legislation that would require Delawareans report when a gun has been lost or stolen – or face criminal penalties – heads to the Senate floor for debate today. A bill to ban so-called assault weapons has not been heard in committee.

The measure to expand high-capacity magazines now heads to the House floor. The measure must be approved by the Senate before heading to the governor’s desk.

There were a number of bill supporters on hand for the hearing, including members of the clergy, trauma nurses from Bayhealth Medical Center in Dover and Christiana Care, and law enforcement officials.

“It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when the next officer gets killed in the line of duty in the state of Delaware,” said Fred Calhoun, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, which represents officers across the state.

“If we have the option of being shot at with a weapon that carries 10 rounds as opposed to 30, we’ll take 10.”
 #85078  by brich2929

Colin Goddard, who was shot four times during the 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech that killed 32 and wounded 17 others, was in Dover to advocate for the legislation, saying that “reducing the capacity of the magazine reduces the capability of the killer.”

Again with the non-DE residents (in this case and that of Mark Kelly, actually lobbyists) getting time to speak when they don't live in the State. How long did he speak for? Anyone know?

Yes, I've called all the committee members on the House Administration Committee regarding this.
 #85080  by stephpd

brich2929 wrote:

Again with the non-DE residents (in this case and that of Mark Kelly, actually lobbyists) getting time to speak when they don't live in the State. How long did he speak for? Anyone know?
Yes. Almost exactly 5 minutes as he absent mindlessly rambled on and on about all the mass shootings that have occurred in gun free zones. I intentionally timed it on Boots watch as we were sitting right next to each other and I hadn't brought in my cell phone. (or own a watch)

Worst was he opened up with the fact that he was their representing the Brady Campaign. So, a paid, out of state, shill that gets far more time then folks that will be effected by this bad law.

I made an emotional response with my 2 minutes. First I started with the obvious point that 2 Supreme Court rulings have already stated that this law would be illegal under the 'in common use' phrase of both decisions. I did have a written response but soon went off script as I pointed out that the AG and Governors people openly admitted this bill would have little, if any effect, on shootings.

But I also pointed out that as a CCDW holder it would increase the chances of me getting seriously injured when not at home as I would be limited to 10 rounds while the criminal(s) would still be using larger capacity magazines. Also that I thought it highly discriminatory that the state puts me in a position where they deem my life worth less the law enforcement. In that I don't get to use the best weapon to protect myself and have to waste precious time in an attack reloading while the criminals don't.
 #85082  by Kuntryboy816

“It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when the next officer gets killed in the line of duty in the state of Delaware,” said Fred Calhoun, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, which represents officers across the state.

“If we have the option of being shot at with a weapon that carries 10 rounds as opposed to 30, we’ll take 10."

Uhhhhh.... seriously Fred!! This would be assuming that those CRIMINALS shooting at y'all are adhering to said proposed law! If they have taken the initiative to fire on LEO with the intent to kill, do you think that a magazine limiting law is going to be a major concern for them?!?!? Like was said before, all this does is limit a LAW-ABIDING CITIZEN'S ability to protect themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alaska... here I come!
 #85083  by brich2929

How many times has 30 rounds been discharged at a LEO in Delaware? or anywhere else in the country for that matter?

Enough to warrant laws prohibiting magazines capable of such?

I DON"T THINK SO.
 #85084  by brich2929

[quote="Kuntryboy816"]“It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when the next officer gets killed in the line of duty in the state of Delaware,” said Fred Calhoun, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, which represents officers across the state.

“If we have the option of being shot at with a weapon that carries 10 rounds as opposed to 30, we’ll take 10."
/quote]

And if you had the option of being shot with a weapon that carries 1 round as opposed to 10 you'd take that too.
 #85085  by Guard_Duck

brich2929 wrote:And if you had the option of being shot with a weapon that carries 1 round as opposed to 10 you'd take that too.
All it takes in 1 round, the last shooting LEO LODD was due to 1 round being fired from a stolen handgun.

What about knife control? The last LODD for a LEO in Delaware was a stabbing. Their agruement doesn't hold water.
 #85087  by Gotarheels03

The really ridiculous thing is that the guy saying that was just some FOP dude. rank & file guys on the street generally oppose these mag bans & AWB's.

What do you guys think the chances are of this passing the house now that it's out of committee?
 #85088  by brich2929

Gotarheels03 wrote:The really ridiculous thing is that the guy saying that was just some FOP dude. rank & file guys on the street generally oppose these mag bans & AWB's.

What do you guys think the chances are of this passing the house now that it's out of committee?

I'd say buy your magazines now.... :censored: :kuku:
 #85091  by Gotarheels03

Oh I'm not worried about not being able to buy them. There are still ways to legally buy em even if this passes. It's the not being able to carry them that bothers me. What good are all these mags if I can only have them at home or at the range?