Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #85974  by David

DOVER, Del. (AP) — Legislative budget writers have appropriated $200,000 for a gun buyback program that would be administered by Delaware State Police.

Members of the Joint Finance Committee voted 7-to-5 Tuesday to appropriate the money, the same amount appropriated, but never spent, last year.

It's unclear whether this year's appropriation will ever be spent, but some lawmakers say budget language should be added to prohibit police from reselling any guns acquired in a new buyback program and require instead that they be destroyed.

Last year, the state Senate refused to reauthorize a pilot gun buyback program that resulted in more than 2,000 weapons being exchanged for prepaid debit cards worth $100 to $200.

Critics including, Republican state Sen. David Lawson of Marydel, have questioned the effectiveness of gun buybacks in reducing crime.
 #85985  by Guard_Duck

Most of the the guns turned in at the last "buyback" were junk guns that gun guys got rid of for more than they were worth.

And I HATE the term "buyback". We didn't buy the guns from the government, so how can they buy them back?
 #86523  by DragonJames

...but some lawmakers say budget language should be added to prohibit police from reselling any guns acquired in a new buyback program and require instead that they be destroyed.
And that little rid bit boils my blood, though some may be junk, if its clean (read: no bodies) it should be resold, I saw some beautiful guns on the table from the pictures of jerseys last buy back, all headed for destruction. It's an absolute shame...... :evil: f#@%ing politicians :evil: