Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #86993  by brich2929

and a companion article by NBC, very nicely done:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52217434/ns/l ... oylestown/

By Chris Ruvo Correspondent
PhillyBurbs.com

updated 6/16/2013 1:16:16 AM ET

Second Amendment advocates held a a peaceful rally Saturday morning in Doylestown in support of a state bill that protects gun rights.

The event included an orderly march through the borough and a groundbreaking public declaration by Perkasie Constable Andrew Rumbold, who became the first elected Bucks County official to announce publicly that he will not enforce federal legislation he deems unconstitutional regarding gun control, search and seizure, and due process.

“I’m not doing this for attention,” said Rumbold. “I’d much rather be with my family right now. But I do feel it’s important.”

The pro Second Amendment audience assembled amid the war memorials at the Bucks County Courthouse to hear addresses from Rumbold, state Rep. Paul Clymer , R-145, and Doylestown resident William Marsh of the gun-rights’ group Concerned Gun Owners of Pennsylvania.

Clymer spoke in support of Pennsylvania House Bill 357. Proposed by state Rep. Daryl Metcalfe of Butler County, the bill states that any federal law that attempts to register, restrict or ban a firearm — or to limit the size of a magazine of a firearm — in Pennsylvania shall be unenforceable in the commonwealth.

Called the Right To Bear Arms Protection Act, the bill further states that officials who enforce or attempt to enforce such a federal law could be convicted of a third-degree felony and sent to prison for at least a year. A fine of up to $15,000 could also be levied, says the bill, which directs the Pennsylvania Attorney General to defend law-abiding Keystone State residents who may be prosecuted by the federal government under gun laws some would deem unconstitutional.

According to commonwealth documents, the bill has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. When a vote on it may occur is unclear.

“We must push back against the people who would seek to disarm our nation,” said Clymer.

His speech drew cheers from attendees, many of whom were families with children. Robert Flubacher was on hand with his sons. He believes it is important to preserve the right to bear arms, not only for himself, but for his children and for generations to come.

“If you don’t have a Second Amendment, then how can you have the rest?” he said.

Buckingham Resident George S. Zolnoski believes a citizen’s right to bear arms forms part of the fundamental bedrock of a democracy. Citing recent federal scandals involving the NSA and IRS, along with a crackdown on Second Amendment rights, Zolnoski said it has become clear that “federal government has overstepped constitutional protections. People have to take a stand and be noticed.”

After the speeches, event attendees marched on Court and State streets. They carried American flags, “Don’t Tread on Me” flags, and signs that said things like “Guns Defeat Tyranny” and “Protect my right to protect my family at home.” One sign included a quote from founding father George Mason: “To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.”

Many of the marchers exercised their right to openly carry firearms. Both rifles and handguns were in plain view. The sight of the marchers drew everything from bemused and concerned looks from some passerby to enthusiastic support, with drivers and motorcycle riders frequently honking horns to show approval.

“They say that like muscles, rights unexercised atrophy until they disappear,” said Marsh. “Today we exercise our right to peaceably assemble, to petition our government, to free speech and to self-defense, which is to say our right to keep and bear arms.”

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: