Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #94893  by harr2969

Posting in activism forum.

Martin Nicholson - thanks for taking time from your schedule to go to the NCC council meeting regarding the illegal NCC parks ordinance.

Councilman Tackett, whom I've spoken with on this topic many times previously reached out to me in response to your visit.

He advised that "we" (the deloc group and/or concerned members of the public), should request a meeting with the county executive and ask the police chief to attend. (I believe this is because he expects the executive will defer to the police chief on these matters -- I note that the executive is a former chief himself)

Councilman Tackett gives the email addresses of the executive and the police chief:
Toms email is TPGordon@nccde.org
Police Chiefs email is Esetting@nccde.org
(Yes these addresses are publicly available, but I would ask my readers to be exercise restraint and courtesy in their use)

I'd like help out however I can, time permitting.

How would you like to handle this? I would love to see 2-3 people go and represent us effectively, and I'd love to be one of them but there may be others more qualified. (Unless you (or we) arrange an open meeting in which case the more the merrier!)
 #94895  by martyusa

I'm glad someone reached out, because I quoted an email from 2008 and felt that 5 years was enough time to get things in order. Especially when the Pro Tempore of the State Senate agrees that it's illegal. It really blew me away that they can write an illegal ordinance and not be willing to correct it. This tells me a few things and it's almost to a point where Shannon Alford gets involved with the NRA and files a class action law suit against the County.

I don't think emails will be enough. Just like we defeated HB 88, we were there in numbers and put political pressure on those in office. We also delivered 50k petitions from Delaware Constituents, alone. When Senator Blevins tells me that she is voting NO on SB23 and it probably won't make it out of committee, we are doing something right.

Thank you for the recognition and it is much appreciated. But this is much bigger than me as we are starting to see Wilmington crime bleed into our areas. And the more pressure the police put on them, the more they will spread out and cause problems in our Community. Elsmere was a drop in the bucket compared to NCC and I would have been embarrassed to be a council member last night for not stepping up to the plate and suggesting something. I will be more than happy to have myself and those around me join forces in righting new legislation for NCC and have it sponsored by one of the Council members.