Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #95383  by DieselTech

Hello fellow 2nd amendment supporters! Just a heads up, Delaware Campaign for Liberty Kent County has decided to take action on City of Dover's anti open carry ordinance. Hopefully with enough support from Delaware citizens we can get the poorly written ordinance off the books. More info to come. If interested on this action come check out our next monthly meeting held at Kent County Levy Court building in Dover. I'll post the date soon.
 #95384  by mdak06

I'm up in Dover off and on; I will attend the meeting if I am available.
 #95437  by harr2969

This is great. Keep in mind Dover's ordinance is grandfathered in, the only "legitimate" municipal ordinance, so it needs to be attacked as a constitutional / rights issue, not an inconsistency issue like the NCC park ordinance. I'm sure you knew that, but what to make sure everyone who reads this knows.
 #95446  by Boots

harr2969 wrote:... Keep in mind Dover's ordinance is grandfathered in, the only "legitimate" municipal ordinance, ....
True it was grandfathered in, but it's not clear to some people if the ordinance actually effects open carry, or not. It's due to that lack of clarity that the Dover Chief of Police is willing to provide a letter of authorization to those that request it.

The law definitely needs clarity, but if it were rewritten it would no longer have the grandfathered status. Therefore, many on the left prefer the ambiguity of the current law compared to "losing ground" to a re-written law.
 #95561  by mdak06

Not that it has any effect here, but I wonder if yesterday's ruling in Peruta v. San Diego (specifically regarding the right to bear arms) will open any eyes as far as the Dover city council is concerned.
 #96386  by DieselTech

Just a reminder if anybody is interested in attending the campaign for liberty Kent County meeting is at the Kent County Levy court house tonight 3/12 @ 7:00pm in room 221. I have also verified that levy court building is concealed carry friendly with a permit