Discussions pertaining to obtaining your FFL or C&R License or discussing C&R firearms.
 #43294  by bluedog46

Hello I had thought about possibly getting an ffl license, but it might just not be for me. With being more of a collector a curio relic license might work better. As i understand it the guns usually have to be 50 years old so we are talking 1961.

what kind of neat stuff can you get?

I saw a communist pistol that was a 9x18 that can be bought direct with that. Just wondering what any other holders have seen as good stuff they can get.
 #43328  by Jeepflexin

When you combine the cost to maintain the C&R and the liberty you give up in regards to allowing the ATF to come in your home at will to inspect your collection at their discretion, I have a hard time justifying getting a C&R. As far as I can tell it saves you a few bucks in transfer fees and that is about it.
 #43329  by bluedog46

Jeepflexin wrote:When you combine the cost to maintain the C&R and the liberty you give up in regards to allowing the ATF to come in your home at will to inspect your collection at their discretion, I have a hard time justifying getting a C&R. As far as I can tell it saves you a few bucks in transfer fees and that is about it.
thanks jeeps, I thought it would not give "the man" as much cart blanche to my house as a regular ffl would, besides might as well buy the good stuff and get someone else to do the transfer.

Scottease and i were actually talking about you the other night when i picked up the wifes springfield xd
 #43349  by Jeepflexin

thanks jeeps, I thought it would not give "the man" as much cart blanche to my house as a regular ffl would, besides might as well buy the good stuff and get someone else to do the transfer.
It falls under the same guidelines in regards to compliance checks (enforcement) that is where the permit holder agrees to allow inspections at any time. My understanding is many C&R guys do not get hassled (I think most FFL's don't get hassled actually) but you still sign off that they can come and check your gear at the time of their choosing. It is also my understanding that C&R guys get a courtesy call before the check, essentially giving them time to organize themselves and make sure they have no loose ends. That being said your privacy is still theirs to intrude on if they see fit.
Scottease and i were actually talking about you the other night when i picked up the wifes springfield xd
I can only imagine what he had to say about me, I'll get my lawyer right on that. :lol:
 #43351  by scottese

I just told him that you like whisker kisses, and to watch out :o (Pink banana hammock and all!)
 #43352  by scottese

bluedog46 wrote:Hello I had thought about possibly getting an ffl license, but it might just not be for me. With being more of a collector a curio relic license might work better. As i understand it the guns usually have to be 50 years old so we are talking 1961.

what kind of neat stuff can you get?

I saw a communist pistol that was a 9x18 that can be bought direct with that. Just wondering what any other holders have seen as good stuff they can get.
Jeep is right, the same things I discussed with you about the ATF applies to your C+R as well.

There is a list that the ATF publishes of what is C+R and I wouldn't try buying anything that is not on the list without a letter from the ATF. Most wholesalers will get the ATF to certify eligibility as C+R and then advertise as such. I won't sell as C+R unless it's on the list, as advised an ATF inspector, and some guys won't sell C+R at all because there is no way to verify the validity of their license. I don't see much value in it at all myself.
 #43353  by Jeepflexin

Jeep is right,
As much as I hear these three little words, I never tire of it.....You must get tired of saying them so often though, eh? 8-) 8-)
 #43354  by zencat

Jeepflexin wrote:When you combine the cost to maintain the C&R and the liberty you give up in regards to allowing the ATF to come in your home at will to inspect your collection at their discretion, I have a hard time justifying getting a C&R. As far as I can tell it saves you a few bucks in transfer fees and that is about it.

I've had mine for 2 weeks & have been offered discounts from Brownell's & another major supply house. My mailbox is filling up daily with catalogs from other companies. The cost of maintaining C&R is $30 for 3 years...10 bucks a year...I think it's worth it!

If the ATF wants to see your stuff, and you don't have a C&R but have ever bought a firearm...or ammo in states that record it like Jersey...it ain't real difficult to get a warrant...
I'd just as soon get a phone call and make an appointment...or even have them stop by unannounced...nothing to hide here...if you're not home they leave a card and you make the appt.

The nice lady from ATF who interviewed me was very helpful in pointing out rules & regs...I live in NJ so can't shortcut anything as per permits to purchase nor can I get guns in mail...but I can save beaucoup bucks on any order to several parts and accessory suppliers.
Easily recoup that $30 license fee in one order...

zencat :ugeek: