Discussions pertaining to obtaining your FFL or C&R License or discussing C&R firearms.
 #50230  by bluedog46

If you want an FFL does it matter the type of home you have or amount of land you have? Would they allow people in a townhouse or apartment to have one?

also if a person gets an FFL does that mean their spouse could be an employee and do transfers similar to how employees of a gunshop can do them.
 #50616  by Jeepflexin

If you want an FFL does it matter the type of home you have or amount of land you have?
It depends on a whole host of things. Best to ask these kind of questions to the ATF directly.
Would they allow people in a townhouse or apartment to have one?
Probably a townhouse is OK, very unlikely in an apartment though I have no solid grounds to back this up other than a hunch, probably has to do with getting permission from New Castle county to run a business from your home; again best to ask the ATF directly.
also if a person gets an FFL does that mean their spouse could be an employee and do transfers similar to how employees of a gunshop can do them.
As it was explained to me when I inquired awhile back, anyone related to the sole proprietor FFL holder, living at the residence and able to pass the background check is allowed to perform the transfer. My understanding is this has more to do with county code than actual FFL policy, my understanding is the ATF has no issue with non relatives doing 4473's on behalf of an FFL so long as they can pass the background check and the process doesn't violate local codes/laws.

Before you dive into the FFL pool ask around and make sure it is really for you, most individual FFL's do it as a side gig and the money isn't that great for the effort and expense you go through. I'd call it a labor of love and not so much a profitable endeavor. Most private FFL's do most of their business as just transfers, this translates to funky hours trying to accommodate people, running around to pick up firearms from shippers if you work a real job during the day (they deliver during the day).

Be prepared for people showing up unannounced at weird times and holidays to check and see if a gun has shown up yet (including when you are not home). Also remember you will be opening up your house to folks you are meeting for the first time and might have tell them they are denied and hope they react 'good'. Granted most gun people are good people, there is still that 1% who are scumbags and they will know where you live. I looked into it and for me the only way I could do an FFL is with a full blown store front, I see way to much liability to let folks off the street come to my house.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
 #50618  by bluedog46

Thanks pete

funny thing is it is my wife that is more intrested in it. I could not even get her to touch a gun. We have a shooting in our neighborhood and how she is a gun packing ( figurative) mama grizzly.

she actually would like to do it as a side gig. I telecomute most of the time so if i can do some of it that would work out. I have gotten paid to write business plans for small business before, I figure i might figure out something for her, but i have heard it will be a pain. I personally thought about it but decided i dont want to go about getting one.
 #52246  by bluedog46

How do I find out if my wife can run the business from our house? I know we are not zoned commercial, but the two FFL homes I have been to dont look like they would be either?
 #52262  by GatorDude

bluedog46 wrote:How do I find out if my wife can run the business from our house? I know we are not zoned commercial, but the two FFL homes I have been to dont look like they would be either?
You don't need to be zoned commercial unless you plan on opening up a storefront.

In most non-deed-restricted communities you can run a small business out of your home. If you live in New Castle County, you can find your zoning on your parcel info on the County website. Just look up your house.

Then go to the County Code to see what activities are permitted in your zoning code.
 #52288  by bluedog46

thanks gator.

It is hard to believe I could not get her to pick up a gun before there was a shooting in our area. Now she wants to be a gun dealer.
 #52299  by GatorDude

bluedog46 wrote:thanks gator.

It is hard to believe I could not get her to pick up a gun before there was a shooting in our area. Now she wants to be a gun dealer.
Rephrase that to "Licensed Firearms Dealer." "Gun dealer" sounds criminal. Just sayin'.... :D
 #67535  by phlydude

I saw a site advertised in American Rifleman called ffl123 dot com that not only guarantees that you will be successful in getting the FFL but also that you will be able to get it based out of home

For $40 or less, I am thinking about getting the materials...might be useful in the future
 #67546  by y0rlik

phlydude wrote:I saw a site advertised in American Rifleman called ffl123 dot com that not only guarantees that you will be successful in getting the FFL but also that you will be able to get it based out of home

For $40 or less, I am thinking about getting the materials...might be useful in the future
My understanding is that those packets don't have anything special that you can't (1) get from the ATF itself or (2) find elsewhere on the internet for free (there are /many/ free websites/forum threads out there with advice on how to get an FFL).

The ATF makes no guarantess about any application, and particularly not about applications with the 'advice' given by these people. (See this page for the ATF's stance on these sorts of people/companies.)

Save your money.