Discussions pertaining to obtaining your FFL or C&R License or discussing C&R firearms.
 #62008  by bluedog46

I want to make sure I understand this. As a C&R you can sell guns that you dont want for your collection to people. If I get a C&R and buy say 4 sks to see which one I like best and keep one do I have to run a background check or use an ffl in delaware to get rid of the other 3?

Also what info would need to be recorded in this book I have been told I will have to keep. Thanks in advance guys.
 #62009  by scottese

C&R isn't a dealer's license, so you can't buy anything without it meeting C&R requirements. You also don't have access to NICS. Nor can you engage in "business"...it's a collector's license. Alot of guys think it's a loophole...they find out at inspection time it's not. And if you buy 4 items and sell three, at your inspection, the BATFE agent isn't going to like that at all, and will have issue with you functioning as a dealer.

Most FFLs are funny about dealing with C&R holders (myself included) other than FTF, as there is no way to verify a C&R like you can an 01,06,07.
 #62026  by bluedog46

scottese wrote:C&R isn't a dealer's license, so you can't buy anything without it meeting C&R requirements. You also don't have access to NICS. Nor can you engage in "business"...it's a collector's license. Alot of guys think it's a loophole...they find out at inspection time it's not. And if you buy 4 items and sell three, at your inspection, the BATFE agent isn't going to like that at all, and will have issue with you functioning as a dealer.

Most FFLs are funny about dealing with C&R holders (myself included) other than FTF, as there is no way to verify a C&R like you can an 01,06,07.
I am aware of what its for ( per you actually) I was using that a for instance because I figure that for a collection you want the best specimen. If you get a couple extra and keep the best one what is wrong with getting rid of what you dont want? If it makes it easier lets say I buy two of every gun andkeep the better one but only 3 sales a year if that
 #62050  by scottese

Contact the ATF...in writing. You will get a written response. I would say to make sure you are not profiting from the other sales, then it could never be misconstrued as business dealings. Contrary to the belief of some :roll: the purpose of business is to make money. I would say lose $5 a piece to be sure.

Not sure why wouldn't you just pay the "hand pick fee" that alot of the places that frequently offer C&R stuff charge. Same exact thing you would be doing without increasing shipping, and the PITA of disposing the surplus (at a loss preferably). So you are actually going to save tiome and money that way. What you are talking about doing doesn't make sense to me. And FWIW ALL of the "hand picked" stuff that I have seen come through me has been pretty nice...the stuff that wasn't, was "luck of the draw"...meaning you might still end up with none that are nice.
 #62060  by bluedog46

Thanks scott

I actually saw that at one place on sks rifles. It was a bit extra, but will save me the headache I dont want or need.