If you have received communication from specific stores, malls, towns and cities regarding their firearms policies, good or bad, post them here.
 #4975  by dave_in_delaware

After reading about Mr. Bruce's Christiana Mall experience, I thought I'd contact the Mall to find out their official stance. Here's what I sent (via online comment form):
As a member of Delaware Open Carry and a private citizen, I
carry a firearm on my person daily for personal protection. Many
citizens on this State carry a gun either concealed (with a license) or
open (no license required). I am writing to find out what the Mall's
official policy is on firearms inside the mall, whether carried
concealed or openly. Thank you.
And their response:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your note regarding firearm access at Christiana Mall.
Yes, the official policy is no firearms are permitted in the center. We
have it posted at all of the entrances as part of our basic "code of
conduct".. Our mall is owned and operated by General Growth Properties
and all of their 200+ malls have the same policy. It's designed to
provide our customers a safe, friendly, and comfortable place to shop.
Malls are private property with public access, so we do reserve the
right to enforce policies that we feel are necessary.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Again, thanks for send a
note out for clarification.

Regards,

Steve Chambliss, CSM
Sr. General Manager
Christiana Mall
302-731-9816 x1007
steven.chambliss@ggp.com
Boo!!!! :evil: :evil:

I don't think disarming the law-abiding citizens makes the mall safer at all. If anything, it invites criminals to a gun-free zone to create problems....

Should I try to argue w/ Mr. Chambliss, or should we just ban that mall?
 #4983  by stephpd

I don't think I've been to Christiana Mall in over 3 years. But that's just me and has nothing to do with any gun policy. It has to do with going through Churchman's Marsh, distance from home, crowds at th mall and the price of gas more then anything.

That and I hate 'shopping'. Their's nothing in the malls for guys. Mostly clothes and I already have them and can get them cheaper and closer at Kmart.

You could try arguing the point of gun free zones but I think it will fall on deaf ears. Business could care less about your rights.

Most shoppers are women and kids. Two groups that either fear guns or aren't allowed to have them. Guys are for carrying all the stuff and driving.

But that's my 2 cents.
 #4986  by dave_in_delaware

Oh, I agree 100%.

I hate that Mall, the way it's laid out, the stores in there (mostly for women and kids), the fact that it's usually stupidly busy, etc.... I avoid that particular Mall like the plague, so their anti-gun policy doesn't even really matter to me.

The ONLY reason I ever go in there is because my bosses get our Xmas presents (gift cards) to THAT Mall, so if I want to get myself anything, I have to go to that Mall. But I'm in and out of there as quickly as possible!!!

I was going to start an email "conversation" with the guy, but like you said, it'll probably fall on deaf ears, or onto ears that won't even consider changing the policy.

Of course, those who have their CCDW are used to NOT "printing" so who would know...... ;)
 #5029  by mustangdave

I haven't spent my money there in a while, don't plan on buying anything from there either, but I'll walk around the mall every once in a while.

I'll probably send them an email this month telling them they no longer have my business.
 #9600  by sean3686

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=9633733

WHEATON, Md. (AP) - Montgomery County police have arrested five people, including a 14-year-old girl, in the shooting last month outside a Macy's department store at Westfield Mall. One person was shot and two were hurt by shattered glass in the Dec. 23 incident.

Arrested were 18-year-old Antwaun Lee of Greenbelt, 19-year-old Andrew Davies of Hyattsville, 19-year-old Anthony Taylor of Washington, 20-year-old Samantha Quick of Greenbelt and 14-year-old Aliah Kinard of Alexandria, Va., who was charged as an adult.

Lee, Davies, Taylor and Kinard are charged with attempted first-degree murder and other offenses. Quick has been charged with accessory after the fact to attempted first-degree murder and other offenses.

Police say all the suspects have acknowledged being members in a Bloods gang.

well this isnt very far from here is it.... one state over.
and i bet there mall had the same policy as christiana... but they probably scratch there head and say.. well the sign was right here why didnt it stop them?
 #9603  by dave_in_delaware

Yeah, I'm sure most criminals are afraid of signs. :roll:

One of these days I wish people would realize that criminals will disobey all signs and laws that are put in place to stop their criminal behavior. They're criminals. They don't care.
 #9609  by Jacques

sean3686 wrote:http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=9633733
WHEATON, Md. (AP) - Montgomery County police have arrested five people, including a 14-year-old girl, in the shooting last month outside a Macy's department store at Westfield Mall. One person was shot and two were hurt by shattered glass in the Dec. 23 incident.
... truncated ...
I'm pretty sure that this mall is not a GGP Property...

I just hashed through the entire GGP Site and the entire Christiana Mall Site and the ONLY reference to the anti-gun policy is in the Parental Guidance Required PDF; which contains a page entitled "Code of Conduct" that says... "No firearms or illegal weapons"

Isn't that statement self contradictory? My firearm is not illegal!!! And technically it's not a weapon until it's used as such...

I sent a loosely worded question about "personal protection devices" to the GGP.com "Contact Us" form on their site...

Let's see what if any response I get...
 #9631  by sean3686

its not a firearm its a gun...
I bought it at the gun store...

I dont think it would apply to use here in DE as we dont have any chain of westfield malls here.
 #9650  by Wynder

I honestly wouldn't argue the point -- they've made their decision and further communications are either going to annoy, inflame or otherwise make them harden their policy out of spite. Gun, pistol, firearm: these are all, for the most part, synonyms in the dictionary and commonly understood to mean the same thing... As for illegal weapons -- I'm assuming that means you can carry pepper spray, knives, etc. or even conceal the knife if you have your CCDW.

If you want to challenge the retailers, instead of trying to poke holes in their policy, write letters of disapproval, letting them know that your money will be spent elsewhere, especially in this economic time when businesses need revenue the most.
 #13795  by Boots

dave_in_delaware wrote:
.. Our mall is owned and operated by General Growth Properties and all of their 200+ malls have the same policy. It's designed to provide our customers a safe, friendly, and comfortable place to shop. Malls are private property with public access, so we do reserve the right to enforce policies that we feel are necessary. Please let me know if you have any questions. ...
I don't think disarming the law-abiding citizens makes the mall safer at all. If anything, it invites criminals to a gun-free zone to create problems....

Should I try to argue w/ Mr. Chambliss, or should we just ban that mall?
The question I would have for Mr. Chamblis is this: How do you guarantee that law-abiding citizens will have a "safe, friendly, and comfortable place to shop" when you have denied them the means to protect themselves? It would seem that General Growth Properties has put themselves in jeopardy by taking on that responsibility for themselves. Criminals surely will have no regard whatsoever for your policy and will be attracted by the safety it affords them while they commit their crimes.