If you have received communication from specific stores, malls, towns and cities regarding their firearms policies, good or bad, post them here.
 #21559  by Tony T

I'm heading to Cabela's tomorrow and I did some quick google research to find out what their open carry policy was. Naturaly the first stop was Pafoa forums and I found what I was looking for pretty fast thanks to a post by a user named "Mikey".

My source is post #146 in the following thread, http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/5 ... ge-15.html.
mikey posted,

Print this out for further use!!

I just got this in an e-mail concerning concerning Cabelas corporate policy on firearms. ENJOY!! :)

Mike,
Here’s the statement:

Customer Open-Carry and Concealed-Carry of Pistols and Revolvers in Cabela’s Retail Stores

Cabela’s company policies are intended to be aligned with applicable federal, state and local laws. Accordingly, each store location has adopted policies to comply with the laws governing the state, county and city in which the store is located.

With respect to the issue of open-carry and concealed-carry of firearms by customers – it is Cabela’s general policy to allow customers to carry a pistol or revolver within Cabela’s stores if the customer is permitted to do so in accordance with applicable law; provided such firearm remains safely holstered while the customer is on Cabela’s property, and the activities of the customer do not raise safety concerns or otherwise interfere with Cabela’s business activities.

If a customer brings a firearm on Cabela’s property for purposes of repair, appraisal, evaluation, sale or any other purpose that will require the customer or someone else to handle the firearm or remove the firearm from a holster, the firearm must be checked in with store personnel, safely unloaded and fitted with a trigger lock.

Cabela’s supports responsible gun ownership and is committed to providing a safe family shopping environment. Accordingly, Cabela’s reserves the right to implement firearm safety procedures within its stores as Cabela’s deems appropriate.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe Arterburn

Corporate Communications Manager

Cabela's Inc.

One Cabela Drive

Sidney, NE 69160

joe.arterburn@cabelas.com

308-255-1204

Upon returning home tomorrow I will post my experience.
 #21566  by George

I have OC'd 3/4 of the times I was there. the first time I didn't know about OC. No problems
 #21603  by Tony T

Just returned from Cabela's. Their policy was posted on the front doors. The sign basically echoed the letter I posted. Open carry is no problem. The store was PACKED. Not one person ran away screaming at the mere sight of my Colt. I'm not surprised though, most people could care less.

I stopped and talked to a K-9 officer and his dog just outside the front door. Nice guy, pretty uneventful. To the best of my knowledge he didn't even glance at my sidearm and I was paying attention. I'm sure he saw it as part of the big picture, but he didn't focus his attention on it in the slightest.

On the way in I was stopped by two guys from NJ. They said something like, "Oh, you guy's have open carry here in PA." I explained that we were from De., and yes, OC was legal in both states. You should have seen the look of surprise when I mentioned that they could have started open carrying as soon as they hit the Delaware or PA state line. I'm sure you've seen the look before, the look of an American when he sudddenly realizes he's been being screwed for a long time.

They kinda looked just like this, :shock:.

But only for a split second, because then they looked like this, :evil:.

Let's just say they didn't have anything kind to say about their state for the next 5 minutes. :lol:

That place is huge. I stocked up on 5.56, they had plenty of ammo of just about any caliber. I got a box of Buffalo Bore 270gr .44mag +p's to temporarily satiate my desire for a Smith and Wesson 500.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... llery.html
 #21607  by Tony T

There were many different brands of .380acp on the shelves. They even had Buffalo Bore 380 +p. I remember thinking small gun, big bang.

From what I've heard the BB stuff is loaded to SAAMI max. I bought these .44's, http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l= ... etail&p=52

Basicaly, they had ammo for most the common calibers. In most of those calibers there were several choices as to brand or specific loading. Pmc, Fiocchi, Federal, Winchester, Hornady, Black Hills, Buffalo Bore, American Eagle, Corbon, Remmington, HSM, etc. A very healthy selection.

They had plenty of plastic ammo boxes full of 5.56 and .223 stacked on the floor. They had cases of Federal XM193.
 #21608  by scampbell3

I think I need to make a road trip. I was at the Bass Pro Shop in Concord, NC. last week. They only had one box of .380 auto. Rem Golden Saber.

Chip
 #21614  by Boots

Tony T wrote:.... On the way in I was stopped by two guys from NJ. They said something like, "Oh, you guy's have open carry here in PA." I explained that we were from De., and yes, OC was legal in both states. You should have seen the look of surprise when I mentioned that they could have started open carrying as soon as they hit the Delaware or PA state line. ....
As has been discussed many time on this forum, transporting your gun in your car for the purpose of OCing in PA is not that easy. Since the guys from NJ probably don't have a CC permit, they would have to rely on the Federal Interstate Commerce rules for transporting their firearms in both NJ and in PA, since PA requires a CC permit to carry a firearm in the car. Once they were on-foot in PA then OC would be perfectly legal for them.

Federal rules for transporting firearms would require travel from their home in NJ directly to Cabelas with no intermediate stops along the way. Also, federal rules would only cover them from Cabelas directly back to their home in NJ; again, with no intermediate stops along the way. Tough rules to follow.
 #21615  by VWpilot

Boots wrote:
Tony T wrote:.... On the way in I was stopped by two guys from NJ. They said something like, "Oh, you guy's have open carry here in PA." I explained that we were from De., and yes, OC was legal in both states. You should have seen the look of surprise when I mentioned that they could have started open carrying as soon as they hit the Delaware or PA state line. ....
As has been discussed many time on this forum, transporting your gun in your car for the purpose of OCing in PA is not that easy. Since the guys from NJ probably don't have a CC permit, they would have to rely on the Federal Interstate Commerce rules for transporting their firearms in both NJ and in PA, since PA requires a CC permit to carry a firearm in the car. Once they were on-foot in PA then OC would be perfectly legal for them.

Federal rules for transporting firearms would require travel from their home in NJ directly to Cabelas with no intermediate stops along the way. Also, federal rules would only cover them from Cabelas directly back to their home in NJ; again, with no intermediate stops along the way. Tough rules to follow.
Just another great reason I will never live in New Jersey, nor Maryland, nor New York.

Glad you had a good trip up Tony, I need to make it up there soon myself.
 #21627  by Tony T

Boots wrote:

Boots, I should have been more specific yesterday but I was kinda tired after a long day. Our conversation lasted better than 10 minutes and I did specifically tell them about interstate travel and open carrying in motor vehicles. I also grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down the address of this site and Opencarry.org. I wish I was driving because I've got pamphlets in my glove box.

Sometimes I forget that here we must be very carefull what we say and how we say it because it becomes a written source of information that people might take at first read and subsequently become missinformed.
 #21628  by Condition1

Boots wrote:.. since PA requires a CC permit to carry a firearm in the car...
I believe in PA you only need a CC permit, from any state, to carry inside of the car next to you (i.e. glove compartment). You can still have it unloaded in the trunk and when you stop in PA you can load and OC. When you get into your car, you have to unload it and put it back in the trunk.