If you have received communication from specific stores, malls, towns and cities regarding their firearms policies, good or bad, post them here.
 #23802  by Godasmypilot

I was at Chick's today picking up hay and I asked the lady behind the counter about their policy on OC. I introduced myself as a member of DELOC and explained the laws pertaining to OC. After a brief moment of contemplation she said "Sure, so long as it's in the holster." I said "Of course!" Then she asked why I needed to carry and I said "You never know when you're going to have to defend yourself." Unfortunately I forgot to mention that it's my way of upholding the Constitutional right that we have in this country, but I'll get better, it was my first inquiry.
 #23815  by Boots

Godasmycopilot wrote:I was at Chick's today picking up hay and I asked the lady behind the counter about their policy on OC. ....
I'm glad it worked out for you this time!

But if it's your plan to keep doing this, expect to receive more negative replies than positive ones. Pretty soon you'll have to keep a list of places you can't go because they've already told you "NO", and if you were to return later with your gun they'll just call the cops on you.

A better plan, IMHO, would be to just smile and be friendly. Very soon they'll learn by experience that there is nothing to be concerned about and will not even notice your sidearm.

However, if they were to start 'the conversation', then that would be the time to give your pitch and hope they don't wind up telling you "we don't allow that here", which is their right to do.
 #23824  by scampbell3

I will have to agree with Boots on this one. Most people have been indoctrinated to associate a gun, with acts of evil. Most really don't know they have been indoctrinated in this line of thinking. I have found that even in "gun circles" this illogical thought process will come to the surface..."why do you need to carry your gun?" I have been asked this question from gun-friendly types. This question is rooted in the illogical.

It is the intent of the Open Carry movement not only to exercise our rights as free men and women, but to serve an additional purpose, a purpose to combat the illogical indoctrination that a firearm as an implement of evil. This purpose it to educate people that firearms and the lawful carry of those firearms by joe-average-public is not a threat.

The media and politicians have often labeled the average 'gun-toter' as being unstable, and a split-second away from killing someone. This has been one of the mainstay arguments that anti's use, especially in regards to changes in right-to-carry laws. Right now, the State of Arizona now allows lawful carry of a firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol. The anti's response to the public...we are now going to get drunk, start a fight, then kill everyone insight....blood will flow down main street. How many times have we heard this logic. Yet it never happens.

From my own experiences, and similar to many on this forum, I personally don't ask a store or store owner about how they feel about Open Carry. I just go about my normal (if you can call my life normal) everyday business. If a person comments, or asks me about my firearm, then that is when I start "the talk". If said person asks me to leave, then I will abide by their choice and leave.

This accomplishes several things that are advantageous to Open Carry. You are exercising your right. It shows people that you interact with, and those who you just pass by on the street, that a man carrying a gun is not a threat. People are by nature curious. Most people can unconsciously discern what is a threat, and what is not a threat. Now, let's say someone carrying a gun in the open is agitated, making quick rapid movements, he would be perceived as a threat and people would avoid this individual. Lets take man carrying a firearm and is eating dinner in a restaurant with his family...most people will unconsciously determine that he is not a threat. (irregardless of their view on guns) It is this situation that peaks curiosity and compels some to approach and ask questions or comment on the firearm. Would these individuals approach this man eating with his family if they felt he was a threat?

So, what does all this mean...rather then ask people how they 'feel' about OC, just OC, and let those who you interact make the first "comment". This allows people, at least for the short time you are interacting with them, that a guy/gal with a gun going about the daily routine of life is not a threat. This is the de-mystification of the firearm. At one time in this country, firearms and carrying firearms was as common as the cellphone is today. But, we have a lot of work to do to get the public to understand that carrying a firearm is not evil. The example speaks louder then the question.

As many one this forum will tell you, and from my own experience, If you are going about your business, no one really notices or acts as though you are carrying a firearm. I have been to places where I think my Glock has a cloaking device...LOL

I may have missed your post in the new members thread...I am sorry...traveling too much right now. Welcome to DELOC, if you have any questions there are very knowledgeable folks on this site.

Chip
 #23831  by Godasmypilot

Boots and Chip,

Yeah, thanks for the insight. You're right, it probably is a better idea to just carry into the place and then ask, that' s the hurdle I'm gonna have to get over. I've never OC'd in public before, just around the property, mowing the back 10, that sort of thing. I'm comfortable with carry at home, just having trouble making that proverbial 'leap' into the real world. I guess me and my parents are taking awhile to get over the conditioning we've been subjected to in NJ. We'll get over it eventually, but it is sort of a culture shock you understand.

Thanks,

Tom
 #23832  by Godasmypilot

Godasmycopilot wrote:Boots and Chip,

Yeah, thanks for the insight. You're right, it probably is a better idea to just carry into the place and then ask,
I meant wait for curiousity or objections, oops, I was listening, I swear!

I was thinking of getting some color copies made of the trifold brochure that's downloadable from the site and having them available to hand out. I've heard of DELOC business cards, how do I get some of those?
 #23835  by photog

scampbell3 wrote:I will have to agree with Boots on this one. Most people have been indoctrinated to associate a gun, with acts of evil. Most really don't know they have been indoctrinated in this line of thinking. I have found that even in "gun circles" this illogical thought process will come to the surface..."why do you need to carry your gun?" I have been asked this question from gun-friendly types. This question is rooted in the illogical.

It is the intent of the Open Carry movement not only to exercise our rights as free men and women, but to serve an additional purpose, a purpose to combat the illogical indoctrination that a firearm as an implement of evil. This purpose it to educate people that firearms and the lawful carry of those firearms by joe-average-public is not a threat.

The media and politicians have often labeled the average 'gun-toter' as being unstable, and a split-second away from killing someone. This has been one of the mainstay arguments that anti's use, especially in regards to changes in right-to-carry laws. Right now, the State of Arizona now allows lawful carry of a firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol. The anti's response to the public...we are now going to get drunk, start a fight, then kill everyone insight....blood will flow down main street. How many times have we heard this logic. Yet it never happens.

From my own experiences, and similar to many on this forum, I personally don't ask a store or store owner about how they feel about Open Carry. I just go about my normal (if you can call my life normal) everyday business. If a person comments, or asks me about my firearm, then that is when I start "the talk". If said person asks me to leave, then I will abide by their choice and leave.

This accomplishes several things that are advantageous to Open Carry. You are exercising your right. It shows people that you interact with, and those who you just pass by on the street, that a man carrying a gun is not a threat. People are by nature curious. Most people can unconsciously discern what is a threat, and what is not a threat. Now, let's say someone carrying a gun in the open is agitated, making quick rapid movements, he would be perceived as a threat and people would avoid this individual. Lets take man carrying a firearm and is eating dinner in a restaurant with his family...most people will unconsciously determine that he is not a threat. (irregardless of their view on guns) It is this situation that peaks curiosity and compels some to approach and ask questions or comment on the firearm. Would these individuals approach this man eating with his family if they felt he was a threat?

So, what does all this mean...rather then ask people how they 'feel' about OC, just OC, and let those who you interact make the first "comment". This allows people, at least for the short time you are interacting with them, that a guy/gal with a gun going about the daily routine of life is not a threat. This is the de-mystification of the firearm. At one time in this country, firearms and carrying firearms was as common as the cellphone is today. But, we have a lot of work to do to get the public to understand that carrying a firearm is not evil. The example speaks louder then the question.

As many one this forum will tell you, and from my own experience, If you are going about your business, no one really notices or acts as though you are carrying a firearm. I have been to places where I think my Glock has a cloaking device...LOL

I may have missed your post in the new members thread...I am sorry...traveling too much right now. Welcome to DELOC, if you have any questions there are very knowledgeable folks on this site.

Chip
Very well stated Chip!!!

And Tom, As the old sayin' goes, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."
And welcome to the forum!! :)
 #23842  by scampbell3

Godasmycopilot wrote:Boots and Chip,

Yeah, thanks for the insight. You're right, it probably is a better idea to just carry into the place and then ask, that' s the hurdle I'm gonna have to get over. I've never OC'd in public before, just around the property, mowing the back 10, that sort of thing. I'm comfortable with carry at home, just having trouble making that proverbial 'leap' into the real world. I guess me and my parents are taking awhile to get over the conditioning we've been subjected to in NJ. We'll get over it eventually, but it is sort of a culture shock you understand.

Thanks,

Tom
I completely understand. It took me awhile before I made the leap myself. Attending the group gatherings each month helped me a great deal. Seeing that you are in Harrington, not far from me, I live in Laurel, when you want to make the "leap", I will be more then happy to go with you, maybe hit a local restaurant for a dinner? Just send me a PM, I am around most weekends. I am traveling a lot this month but I am home on the weekends.

Chip
 #23848  by DMac

IMO it is best to never ask a shopkeeper/store employee anything about your OCing. If they ask you about it, fine. Now you have an opportunity to talk about the legality of open carry. If they have an objection and want you to leave their establishment, do so politely and immediately. To do otherwise would be to commit the crime of trespassing.
 #23852  by dave_in_delaware

I agree with what others have said about "asking" people about you OCing. When entering a business, check for obvious signs outside, and if you don't see anything, do like Nike does: Just do it.

Asking "permission" to do something lawful allows someone to tell you "no" regardless of them knowing the laws or policies of their own store. I'm sure there are many stores around here that have never thought about the concept of an armed patron entering at all.

If the store doesn't allow firearms, and there wasn't a sign posted, then they'll have to tell you after you're inside. Then say thanks for letting you know, and never go back to that store. At least, that's what I do. My wife also gauges our return to a particular store by the way they treat me when I carry. Pro-gun stores get repeat business. Anti-gun stores get black-listed. Plain and simple.
 #23869  by Godasmypilot

Thanks everybody,

Your advice and insight is great, I look forward to being an ambassador for our cause like you all are. Hope I get to meet y'all at the party!

Thanks again,

Tom