If you have received communication from specific stores, malls, towns and cities regarding their firearms policies, good or bad, post them here.
 #34826  by Hawkeye

Stopped in at the Pizza Palace in Milford a few weeks ago. I asked what their OC policy was and was promptly told that only LEO and on-duty police could carry in the restaurant. I was not carrying at that time which is rare for me now. I should have just OC'd instead of asking and see if they told me to leave but I didn't. For the rest of my meal the staff watched me hard as if I had stolen something. They continued to watch me until I got out the door. I promptly wrote a letter to the management asking for clarification and I got nothing.

So unless someone else has had a different experience here I would have to say the Pizza Palace is anti-OC.
Last edited by Hawkeye on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #34827  by Tate

Thats odd i have oc'd in Pizza Palace in Millsboro many times, as i work in Millsboro. I met Chip there for our first downstate meeting that ended up being just Chip, My wife, and Myself. We had no problems.
 #34828  by Jason

I asked what their OC policy was and was promptly told that only LEO and on-duty police could carry in the restaurant.
Why do people ask?
 #34830  by scampbell3

As Tate mentioned, I have OC'd at Milford Pizza Palace many times, never a problem, no one has ever paid any attention to me because of OC. I also NEVER ask about any kind of OC "policy", I just OC. If they notice and don't like it, they can ask me to leave, otherwise, I go about my business. Then I will consider them anti-OC.

Chip
 #34831  by DMac

(Note: This is a duplicate post, but it seems appropriate here.)

I agree that it's a better policy NOT to ask. When we open carry we are exercisng a fundamental right, the right of self protection. That right is confirmed by the U.S. Constitution and by the constitution of the state of Delaware. Therefore, why should we ask for permission to do something that we have the right to do? We should instead, expect that our right to open carry will be respected by anyone doing business in the state of Delaware.

Of course a business owner, or representative thereof, can choose to exercise their right as a property owner and ask us to leave. However, most businesses (e.g. Starbucks, Walmart, Lowes, etc.) are deferring to state and local laws. This is all the more reason for us to expect that our right to open carry will be respected by those in the marketplace.
 #34834  by Hawkeye

I was expecting to be questioned as to why I asked first. The only response I can give in my defense is that I did so to appease my wife. We had been frequenting this restaurant more and more and she wanted me to ask first. The other times I had been carrying concealed. That is the only occasion that I have asked first. She is sometimes still leery of me open carrying but she is getting more used to it. We went to Lowes in Lewes today and she did not even notice I was OC'ing until we got back.

I can only account for my experience and that is why we post here, to tell our stories and compare our experiences with that of others. If others have had success at this place then I will go ahead and try again (without asking) and see what happens.
 #34841  by DMac

Hawkeye,

You asked them, and you were told that you were not welcomed to open carry there. If you should choose to do so again, you may be subject to arrest for trespassing. If I were you, I would NOT open carry there again.
 #34842  by GatorDude

DMac wrote:Hawkeye,

You asked them, and you were told that you were not welcomed to open carry there. If you should choose to do so again, you may be subject to arrest for trespassing. If I were you, I would NOT open carry there again.
I disagree. That is not enough to trigger a criminal trespass warning.
 #34844  by myopicvisionary

They would have to prove that he was ordered off of the property and directed not to return.

Asking ahead of time gives the impression that you are unsure of what you are doing. Never ask and always carry yourself in a sure manner. Most won't notice your firearm and fewer will ask about it.