A forum for the First State Firearms Freedom Association, a grassroots lobby for Delaware.
 #82208  by David

SeanM wrote:The real question is... tabled for how long? And will it rear it's ugly head again in a different format?

Sean

Tabled until next Wednesday at 12:30.
 #82209  by David

I did have a long talk with Senator Venables after the committee meeting today. He was actually in attendance at the House meeting to observe. He said that in addition to the 3 bills out, he is pretty sure two more have been drafted, including an assault weapons ban. The drafts are typically passed around to some members by the bill sponsors looking for co-sponsors. Since he is in opposition to all these bills it is unlikely he will see a draft copy. I will check back in with him next week after the HB 35 hearing continuation.
 #82214  by SR9

HB 35 was tabled today in the Judiciary Committee meeting. This often happens. It may be brought back up tomorrow, next week, next month, or never. I worked as a Legislative Agent (lobbyist) for a while and have seen all kinds of things happen to a bill. If a bill stays tabled untill the end of the session, it will automaticly die. The thing is they can bring it back up without much notice and vote on it with little to no discussion. Judiciary Committe is predominantly Democrat.
 #82233  by David

I don't see this getting tabled more than a week. The committee chair was obviously upset that it was tabled today. This was that bill that the Gov's office said would be unopposed. It was supposed to fly through the committee and the house, quickly confirmed by the Senate and start Delaware on the path to real gun control. This bill was first in line by design. If this bill can't get through there is no hope for the rest.

I hope more people can make it next week. While we did pack the chamber and the balcony, we need the building packed.
 #82264  by David

House Judiciary has already posted HB 35 on the agenda for next weeks committee meeting. The meeting will be in the House chamber at 2:30 next Wed 3/20. Please try to be there.
 #82268  by Chizult

Emails sent. Here's the e-mail list for the house judiciary committee for a simple copy and paste:

jeff.spiegelman@state.de.us; David.L.Wilson@state.de.us; Steve.Smyk@state.de.us; Darryl.Scott@state.de.us; Charles.Potter@state.de.us; trey.paradee@state.de.us; john.l.mitchell@state.de.us; jj.johnson@state.de.us; gerald.brady@state.de.us; melanie.g.smith@state.de.us; Rebecca.Walker@state.de.us

Keep the pressure up. Fight the battle now...if we win this one the rest of the bills will fall like a house of cards.

Thanks for showing up in Dover guys....wish I could be there with you.
 #82275  by stephpd

David wrote:House Judiciary has already posted HB 35 on the agenda for next weeks committee meeting. The meeting will be in the House chamber at 2:30 next Wed 3/20. Please try to be there.
Thanks! Sent them all emails requesting all gun bill hearings be moved to 7pm.

If they were shocked at the turnout yesterday they'll be amazed if they have the hearings when far more can attend.

Here's the News Journals 'take' on the hearing.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 ... -committee

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 ... ntrol-bill
 #82278  by nonuser

David wrote: 8) A gun store owner who is all for legislating himself an additional revenue stream.

And, most importantly

Aside from all that, until today I have never heard of Miller's gun shop or Bob Miller, but Bob, if you ever read this, you can rest assured you will not ever receive a dime of my money.
I have always had a great dislike for the customer service over there.....Seems like if you are not purchaseing a $5000.00 over/under skeet gun. They just treat you like crap......On the other hand they have been around for a long time......Maybe it is becuase of these kind of brown nose practices.
 #82286  by KEVIN

David wrote:House Judiciary has already posted HB 35 on the agenda for next weeks committee meeting. The meeting will be in the House chamber at 2:30 next Wed 3/20. Please try to be there.
I just took a 1/2 day in order for me to be in attendance to show my support for the 2nd.