A forum for the First State Firearms Freedom Association, a grassroots lobby for Delaware.
 #83469  by Amy Blackthorn

I've been offered the chance to testify on Wednesday the 17th. As long as I can get my boss to let me take a 1/2 day I'm there. Problem is I want to say so much, but only have two minutes to do it. What would you say? I've got half my 'talk' written, but I fear I'll leave out something important.
 #83472  by David

Which hearing are you attending? Most of the committee chairs will only let you discuss the topic of the bill.
 #83478  by SeanM

Seems to me the common thread that has been recently discovered is the fact that the current laws are not being enforced. If that's the case, how will passing new laws make a bit of difference?

Sean
 #83483  by Amy Blackthorn

David wrote:Which hearing are you attending? Most of the committee chairs will only let you discuss the topic of the bill.
I'm testifying in reference to their proposed gun control bills.
 #83490  by schmenge

If I had the opportunity, I'd stress that criminals and crazies WILL NOT obey the laws. I'd ask the morons why they think these new laws will make any difference. I'd also ask them what their real agenda is, since they have to realize that new laws won't make a difference.

Let them know that we don't trust them. They are not fooling us.

Give 'em hell!
 #83491  by Amy Blackthorn

I intend to! My stalker didn't use a gun. He had been arrested previously with chloroform in his possession. He is a convicted rapist. My ability to protect myself with my gun kept me safe. Not the police.
 #83492  by Amy Blackthorn

Told the lawyer from the AG's office when I went to court I had applied and was waiting for my CCDW and she applauded me for protecting myself.
 #83507  by Bullpup

Amy, I could offer a number of logical and factual arguments against those bills, but logic and facts don't matter to these clowns.

I would take a page from their playbook and use your gender to your advantage; maybe talk about how gun control disempowers women, and makes them defenseless victims.

From reading your posts I know that you speak eloquently in defense of our position. I'm sure whatever you say will have an impact!
 #83509  by stephpd

Amy Blackthorn wrote:
David wrote:Which hearing are you attending? Most of the committee chairs will only let you discuss the topic of the bill.
I'm testifying in reference to their proposed gun control bills.
There are so many gun bills and they are all separate, for the most part. I haven't looked at that days schedule to even see which bills are up in either the house or senate. As an example the other day that I was there it was SB16 and 18 (both dealing with lost or stolen)though the committee chair person didn't seem to get the notice about SB18 and only had a hearing on SB16. There was also supposed to be a House hearing on HB62 (preemption) that was cancelled.

For most of these it seems that the committee hearings are where we get a chance to speak out. The format is all the elected officials get a chance to talk, then any 'regular' person gets two minutes. You can tell your story or cover how the criminals won't follow the laws, how it affects only the law abiding, how current and similar laws aren't prosecuted, etc.

More then likely you'll here more then one person just repeating what another person stated. I'd think, by far, your personal experience and your resulting course of action would speak louder then anything else. How you went, instead of being a victim, but empowering yourself and helping others by being an NRA instructor would impress everyone there.

I don't know what effect facts and figure play into the mind of Democrats but pulling at the heartstrings might work better. Your story isn't likely to be similar to any other story told there, though retold and remembered. Doesn't really matter which bill that's in committee it's still a story they need to hear at all of them. It's so different from the 'guns are evil, ban them all' that seems to come out of far too many folks mouths.

edit: Here's the schedule for the 17th;
In the senate they'll be covering SB18 (lost or stolen) and SB 23 (preemption) starting at 1pm.
http://legis.delaware.gov/LIS/lis147.ns ... enDocument

No gun bills slated for the House that day, yet.

They really seem to try and make it as difficult as they can for those of us that work. To be able to show up for all of them seem impossible.

Best advice I can give is write down what you want to say. Practice it several times. Try when addressing the senators to not be constantly looking down and just reading it. Look them in the eye, let your emotions show and try to connect with them.

The senate hearing room is up the stairs and to the right, about halfway down the hall (on the left side of the hall). Try to get their 15-30 minutes early so that you can sign up to speak and be near the top of the list. If there's a large crowd you may not get a chance if you're late or far down on the list.
Last edited by stephpd on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.