A forum for the First State Firearms Freedom Association, a grassroots lobby for Delaware.
 #83510  by Amy Blackthorn

Bullpup wrote:Amy, I could offer a number of logical and factual arguments against those bills, but logic and facts don't matter to these clowns.

I would take a page from their playbook and use your gender to your advantage; maybe talk about how gun control disempowers women, and makes them defenseless victims.

From reading your posts I know that you speak eloquently in defense of our position. I'm sure whatever you say will have an impact!
Bullpup,
I was asked because I'm a female who carries and recently needed my firearm to protect me from a convicted rapist the law didn't protect our society from. They want to drag out some grief stricken parent who lost a child, but I was anti as a young person because my uncle lost his life when I was a young person. My (now) husband helped show me that it wasn't the gun that took his life, but the will of the person behind it.

Taking a gun from law abiding men and women like me, wont protect me from rapists. Limiting my gun to ten rounds isn't going to protect me from the next person who decides that their need to assert their power is more important than the life they are about to take.
 #83514  by Bullpup

Amy Blackthorn wrote:
Taking a gun from law abiding men and women like me, wont protect me from rapists. Limiting my gun to ten rounds isn't going to protect me from the next person who decides that their need to assert their power is more important than the life they are about to take.
This is exactly what they need to hear!
 #83523  by Boots

Amy-

Please mention the fact that many criminal offenses are pleaded down to lesser charges and are not really prosecuted as they should be. THEN, many offenders are being released due to 'prison overcrowding'.

Unfortunately, these criminals are not prepared to be integrated back into society and frequently are re-offenders. Crime is on the increase and unemployment is at record highs. Society as a whole is less safe and law-abiding citizens need to be prepared to defend themselves. Thankfully, most self-defense uses of a gun do not result in shots being fired, nevertheless, we need to be totally prepared for self-defense no matter when, where, or how many there are.

Thanx!
 #83536  by stephpd

Biggest point I'd try to make is this whole 'package' of Brady Campaign sponsored bills won't have near the effect on crime then if the AG and courts would just stop pleading down all these cases. It's the revolving door that puts these violent criminals back into society to seek further prey.

Wednesday would be on 'lost or stolen' as a feeble attempt to catch straw purchases. But punishes the victim of a robbery twice. 'Preemption' just making for a more convoluted system of trying to stay within the laws.

Not quite as important as the weapons or magazine bans that are also being proposed. Nor the end of private sales as a backdoor towards registration. But when looked at in the totality none of these laws would prevent any of these mass shootings. Nor do they go after the violent criminals. All they do is make it more difficult for the law abiding to navigate while we see a lose of our liberty.

Since the gun trace and the 'need' for many of these laws..............
If they aren't prosecuting, to the fullest, the violent criminals, they just allow for them to be set back into society to further assault society. The 'universal background checks', 'lost or stolen' laws only target the non violent. And by looking at the conviction rates these aren't a very high priority of the system. Even the conviction rates for violent criminals with weapons charges only has a 12% conviction rate. Most of these other gun laws having an even much lower conviction rate.
 #83538  by Boots

stephpd wrote:... Even the conviction rates for violent criminals with weapons charges only has a 12% conviction rate. Most of these other gun laws having an even much lower conviction rate.
Maybe we should ask them what the conviction rate will be for us if we don't report a stolen gun. :twisted:
 #84300  by stephpd

Sadly Amy's name somehow got lost in the shuffle and never did get a chance to speak.

Boots and I both had an opportunity to speak but I'm still of the opinion that it fell on deaf ears and all this is for show as a done deal. If nothing else I'm sure it's been noticed in the turnouts. I personally don't know of turnout on other stuff but looking at this verses things like the gay marriage folks we outnumbered them by a huge number today. Same for the death penalty 'debate'.

This bill, which was supposed to be the 'easy one' in Markell's package has been moved to the big rooms both in the house and Senate. And both times they ran out of time long before they had heard from everybody. Putting the 'paid' folks aside there were only 3-4 folks supporting this bill and 30 or more speaking out against it.
 #84305  by DEhammerhead

I would try to see what some average rural response times are to 911 calls and ask them if they or a loved one were one the victim end of a rape or assault would they want to wait that length of time or have some type of weapon to help end the situation in favor of the victim.

Nobody is a criminal until they commit their first crime, so any limitations or regulations are just going to waste time in a society of Internet savvy consumers. Look how many people go to Virginia to buy fireworks for the 4 th of July.

It is awesome that you have the guts to stand up there and speak your mind. You could be the difference. Good job.
 #84322  by Amy Blackthorn

Well, the news journal just put up their article on today.
Apparently the writer WASN'T EVEN IN THE SAME ROOM because, what?!
Out of the individuals present. (a few represented groups) 2 out if 70 were for this bill. The rest were against. They were so awed that :censored: Mark Kelly was there they all left after his five minute speech. Two hours of testimony later the rest of us left. Wtf.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 ... um=twitter
Utter BS.
 #84323  by Amy Blackthorn

stephpd wrote:Sadly Amy's name somehow got lost in the shuffle and never did get a chance to speak.

Boots and I both had an opportunity to speak but I'm still of the opinion that it fell on deaf ears and all this is for show as a done deal.
Even though they skipped me, my speech was written and I had it submitted into the written record to be read at the reading of the bill by the full Senate.