You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #105424  by Pjd832

phlydude wrote:Regardless of videos, rights are rights.
Agreed .... but the advice given I quoted in my response is how the camera holding sidewalk attorney parroting the same 3 phrases over and over ends up disarmed and proned out.....
 #105425  by Pjd832

Kuntryboy816 wrote:
Pjd832 wrote:
phlydude wrote:I agree - you were illegally detained

Questions to practice:
"Am I being detained?"
"Am I free to go?"

Keep repeating until they tell you to go...preferably while recording or videoing the entire situation.

Announce "I do NOT consent to search and seizure of my property"

Get officer's name, badge # and make note - your constitutional rights have been violated.
Plenty of YouTube videos showing how that usually ends :roll:
If you want to believe the attention seeking whores who post their negative interactions with LEO on YouTube so that their drama wI accrue them likes/hits, go right on ahead. Myself, I prefer the real life version where I have yet to have ANY negative encounter with LEO.
you are misunderstanding what I'm sayin.....I'm not saying open carry interaction with Leo will all end like you tube videos ....are you saying that in your positive encounters you've Done this.....
"Questions to practice:
"Am I being detained?"
"Am I free to go?"

Keep repeating until they tell you to go...preferably while recording or videoing the entire situation.

Announce "I do NOT consent to search and seizure of my property" ?

Or have you just acted like a normal person thus resulting in a positive encounter... I'd tend to believe the latter ....show respect get respect is a good rule of thumb to follow.....announcing what your not going to do while videotaping ..... Is more likely going to turn the encounter south quickly......
 #105429  by Owen

Pjd832 wrote: Or have you just acted like a normal person thus resulting in a positive encounter... I'd tend to believe the latter ....show respect get respect is a good rule of thumb to follow.....announcing what your not going to do while videotaping ..... Is more likely going to turn the encounter south quickly......
But what does "acting like a normal person" mean? I think I act normal. I try to act professional and respectful. I don't just comply with illegal requests without first asking "what crime have I committed?". Then "am I being detained? Am I free to go?" Another great one when they try to entrap you with a confessional question like "have you stopped running red lights" is " how can I help you officer?" Best to answer only questions that you want to answer.

In my opinion a lot the modern LEO job is "fishing". They get you on the hook and then see what they can get out of you while you wiggle.
 #105435  by Pjd832

Owen wrote:
Pjd832 wrote: Or have you just acted like a normal person thus resulting in a positive encounter... I'd tend to believe the latter ....show respect get respect is a good rule of thumb to follow.....announcing what your not going to do while videotaping ..... Is more likely going to turn the encounter south quickly......
But what does "acting like a normal person" mean? I think I act normal. I try to act professional and respectful. I don't just comply with illegal requests without first asking "what crime have I committed?". Then "am I being detained? Am I free to go?" Another great one when they try to entrap you with a confessional question like "have you stopped running red lights" is " how can I help you officer?" Best to answer only questions that you want to answer.

In my opinion a lot the modern LEO job is "fishing". They get you on the hook and then see what they can get out of you while you wiggle.
being professional/respectful is all i ever have done.....on the rare occasions I've had interactions its been limited to the matter at hand such as a speeding stop....ive had weapons in plain view and other times concealed....at times back seat stacked with pelican cases and I've yet to feel the need to as the you tube warriors do repeat those catch phrases over and over....and I've never been disarmed...or other such shenanigans .....they make contact ...inform me of the reason for contact....i have documents ready... they go run me...come back and wish me a good day without ticket....perhaps i have some magic power....although id be more inclined to believe its just that i am courteous and professional....hence they act the same......part may have to do with the fact that I'm not 19 and don't look like a punk in a vehicle with multiple violations...with a gun velcroed to my dash and chip on my shoulder

im sure if as soon as they hit the window i had cameras out "advising them i am recording for my safety"....then parrot "am i being detained...am i free to go" every time they asked me something....the interaction might take the same path as the you tube hereos....i carry for work...and for my protection....not to make political statements...not to "educate people on the second amendment" etc....the pattern i have noticed the ones that do ...are usually the ones having issues.....ive never been asked permission for a search or any of the other such nonsense....if a person has their shit in order the leo will see/surmise it in the first few seconds....the "fishing" comes when they see/sense there is something to discover ....so when i said "act normal"...i guess i just meant be respectful...and not like the 2a warriors on you tube......and things would go smoothly .....
 #105437  by Owen

I hear you. I'm basically the same in the auto but I don't have in on the dash as a statement that's how I comply with the law. I haven't applied for a ccdw permission slip so I have to look out for myself.

In Hukuzatuna's case he was just walking down the public street. Someone called in a MWAG so totally different than a traffic stop. "papers please" is not a proper response from a public servant to a person simply walking while lawfully armed.
 #105440  by hukuzatuna

Well, I certainly didn't expect my log to generate so much discussion! Very interesting to see the differing opinions here.

On a different note, I OC in my Jeep, which currently has no doors and no back window. I was setting the pistol between the handbrake and the cup holders, because a pistol fits and rides very nicely there. I became concerned that this would not be "plainly visible" enough during a traffic stop, and, as you know from my earlier postings, I'm disinclined to have a confrontational relationship with LE. Here is my new OC rig for the Jeep:

We'll see how this works out over time. Right now it's holding pretty well and it's easy to reach over and draw from the driver's seat. That holster (15 bucks on Amazon) also has a spare mag pouch on "top." The retention strap is very necessary since I'm pretty sure the pistol would bounce out of the holster without it. (Yes, yes, I know I need to replace the sights on the new Glock. My Trijicon combat sights are arriving Thursday, and one of the kind members in this group, who is a Glock armorer, offered to install them for me since I don't have a sight pusher.)
 #105441  by Owen

Nice! Love the paracord - it has so many uses. :)

I think the key is to make it work for you.
 #105476  by hukuzatuna

Went grocery shopping last night in the ACME in Lantana Square, and open carried as usual. There were a surprising number of shoppers, including a lady who was finished unloading her cart out front when I asked, "good evening, would you like me to take your cart for you," and no-one batted an eye at me. Young guys shopping alone, all the way up to elderly ladies doing their weekly shops, and either they didn't notice (very poor situational awareness, since my OC rig is bloody obvious), they didn't care, or they didn't want to complain. Even the kids in the store totally ignored the weapon (or didn't see it). All in all, a good OC shopping experience.
 #105551  by hukuzatuna

Yesterday I went to the range (Targetmaster) to try out the new components in the Glock. Having some trouble with trigger reset, so I don't know if it's the light range ammo I'm using, or some misadjustment in the trigger. Lubed the whole system up again and will head back to the range to try it out. If it's not the lubrication, I'll have to heat up the trigger with a lighter and adjust the overtravel/reset lock screw. Not looking forward to trying that.

Afterwards, I drove back down into Delaware to visit my daughter at the Richardson's Flower Center on Silversides road. I've open carried there before, and this time was no different. The manager asked why I carried, when I was there the first time, but not in a bad or accusatory way. I told him the truth - obviously - that I carry the weapon for self-defense. He was cool with it. This time, one of my daughter's coworkers asked, "what do you have there?" I said, "a modified Glock 17 Gen3," not knowing why or what he would say. His reaction was, "oh, cool, I have a Gen4 Glock 19." Sweet! So we talked guns for a little while. I would say Richardson's on Silverside Road is definitely 2A-friendly. :)

Then my daughter was hungry, and wanted me to go to Subway to get her lunch. I went to the shopping center on the corner of Silverside and Foulk Roads, and it was very crowded. I open carried. I stood in line waiting, got a few stares, but nobody said anything. Interacted with three employees (ordering, building, and paying for the sandwiches), and nobody batted an eye or said anything. So I hopped back in Jeep, slipped the pistol into the dash holster, and headed back to Richardson's to play delivery driver.

Last night we went to the mall because the same daughter wanted to go to B&N. I left the pistol locked in the boot of the Jeep when we went inside because I've read here that the OC policies are generally anti-gun, but not really documented, and I wasn't in the mood for any conflict. Afterwards, however, we headed over to Cabelas, and I OCed there. The only thing employees said was the greeter as I walked in. He said, "sir, are you aware of our concealed carry policy?" I said, "no, sir, but it's not concealed." He corrected himself and said, "I'm sorry, I meant open carry policy." I smiled and said questioningly, "it stays in the holster unless needed, and if needed judicious marksmanship is appreciated?" He laughed and said, "exactly, welcome to Cabelas." I got several of "those stares" from other customers, but the staff were quite friendly.

I found out my daughter has a thing for antique (and expensive) firearms, likes the looks of the Walthers the best, but wants a 9mm Glock. We'll probably discuss it again, and have her try different sizes for fit, but I'm thinking a Glock 19 will be good for her. I gave my Beretta .380 to my daughter-in-law, and still haven't heard the end of it. My daughter is pretty salty about my habit of giving guns away to other girls as presents (I'm thinking about tuning up my Gen2 Glock and giving it* to a young lady I rather like), so I think it's time I bought her one of her own to make up for it.

Cheers,
Phil

* By "giving it" I mean going to an FFL and doing an individual to individual transfer.