You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #301  by myopicvisionary

Fortunately that Lowes is outside of Newark limits!
 #310  by Mr. Bruce

I know..... Newark is a hard place to OC..... I still am confused on the city. The city law is hard to read, I read about the city proper... but don't have a law to go by about the proper, and there are the schools. I measured 1000 feet away from two of the schools and there is about 1/3 of a mile on main street in the middle that is NOT 1000 feet away from a school. My plan is to get my ccdw but now I feel I HAVE to to even go through Newark.
 #383  by Mr. Bruce

Sat. April 12th,2008

OC'd to range and met up with Wynder, Stephd, and myopicvisionary. Had a great time and was pleased to meet myopicvisionary. I really enjoyed the outing. The conversation was great and interesting. I'm a guy who takes awhile to warm up to anybody. All of you have been polite and interesting to talk to. I have enjoyed your company immensely. The only thing I didn't like is the fact that I need a lot more practice....hehe.

Left the range and OC'd to Gravely in hockessin. I had to get a lawn trimmer. I was in the store for a good 1/2 hour. A lot of customers came and went. I don't know if the staff even noticed except for a tech who came out from the back and told my salesman he had better give me a good deal as he pointed at my hip.

Then I went to Wild Birds Unlimited to get my wife her birdseed and feeder pole. The whole store noticed I was OCing but no one said anything. They were courteous and helped me find what I needed. Uneventful.

Later in the night we put my daughter to bed and my wife and I went out to the back of the yard and had a nice fire in my fire pit. I OC'd there too because I didn't want to leave the gun in the house and my neighborhood can be.....sketchy sometimes. The way my yard is it looks like a big chunk of public land. No problems. I did have a question though. Can I conceal on my own property without a permit? I would have rather just had my gun in my pocket than OC on my hip.
 #390  by Wynder

Mr. Bruce wrote: Can I conceal on my own property without a permit? I would have rather just had my gun in my pocket than OC on my hip.
State (Delaware) v. Gagliota (1923) ruled that it was no defense to a prosecution for carrying a concealed deadly weapon that the defendant only carried the weapon in the defendant's house.

Since that time, however, privacy laws have come a very long way and you'd probably be hard-pressed to find an officer who would arrest you for doing something on your own property that wasn't affecting another person.
 #532  by Mr. Bruce

OC'd in my yard on friday April 18th.

I normally wouldn't write this in the log except for the fact that yesterday a few members from the church next door came over and spoke with me. They were inquiring about my yard, house, and dog. They are constantly amazed with my dog. She never leaves the yard, never barks, and is generally very well behaved. I can leave her outside for hours and she still stays in the yard... even if people or dogs walk by. Anyway, they were polite and I'm not sure they even saw the gun. If they did they didn't seem to care at all. I really don't think that they were trying to test why I had a gun either. There's no way they saw it before coming over. I was sitting with my gun hip away from the church.
 #574  by Mr. Bruce

April 21st, 2008

OC to Shoprite on rte 4. Got quite a few looks but no one said anything. Uneventful. I know my OC has slowed and my time on the boards has been short but work has been really busy. I leave at 6 AM and don't get home until 7 or 8 at night. Sometimes later. The rest of my time is spent with my family. Owning your own business has it's downfalls as well............ Just wanted to tell you I'm still here and supportive as ever.
 #578  by dave_in_delaware

Mr. Bruce wrote:... Owning your own business has it's downfalls as well............ Just wanted to tell you I'm still here and supportive as ever.
Hey man, no need to explain. I work a regular fulltime job AND own my own business on top of that part-time. I know what you mean about time issues. I'm sure we're all busy in some way or another. I know I'm not here as much lately, either.
 #655  by Mr. Bruce

Monday April 28th.

OC to Babies R US and the sandwich shop right by there by the hospital. No looks, no problems. I swear nobody sees my sidearm.
 #685  by Mr. Bruce

May 4, 2008
OC to Babies-R- US, Home Depot, and Toys- R- US ... all near the hospital.

Babies R US ...... Walked around.. saw people noticing but no one said anything until I got up to pay. The clerk behind the counter let me pay and then asked... ok so why the gun? What do you do?

I replied I was an electrician and it was for self defense. Nothing else was said.

Home Depot.... Nobody said anything but I got a lot of looks. The double-take wide eyed kind.

Toys R US..... Walked past a guy in a hurry because I was bee-lining it for the baby stuff. (BABIES R US HAS NO DIAPER GENIE 2 REFILLS!!!!!!!) As I was leaving he kinda stopped in a confrontational way and said " It's not real safe carrying a gun in a kids store DUDE!!!" Real demeaning and the like. I didn't even skip a beat or acknowledge him... I just passed, paid , and left. Got the feeling it could have escalated into a shouting match... and to be honest.. after about 1/2 a second....I didn't really care what that guy thought at all.

So to wrap up... I had a lot more contact and looks than usual. I think because it's warm, no jacket and my gun sticks out a lot more with just jeans and a tucked in shirt, it's A LOT more noticable.
 #689  by myopicvisionary

I'll make it a point to stop in there the next time I'm in the area!