You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #51974  by jslacker

GatorDude wrote:You need to be armed around Fox Run.... :o :roll:
I try to be armed everywhere....
 #52039  by Dr. Eastwood

GatorDude wrote:You need to be armed around Fox Run.... :o :roll:
I have a friend who lives in the two story town home like apartments in the back. If he could squirrel away some money for it, he'd gladly carry there.
 #52558  by jslacker

OC'd today after work, (as has become the norm) to take the doggers out. Ran into some people moving in or out on the other side of our courtyard and got into a conversation about my dogs breed (I have a puggle). About a third way through our conversation she exclaims, "Holy crap is that a gun on your hip?!?" I reply yeah it sure it is. She goes on to say I didnt know it was that bad of an area, I responded by saying its not that bad, but there have been a few occasions that would cause alarm. I should have said its New Castle County.... whaddaya expect? :lol: I joked that I carry this because its a lot lighter than a cop. :lol: Ended the convo on a good note about ones own self defense responsibility (because nobody is gonna do it for you) and how puggles are the best pet! :sparring: (9mm vs. .45, Glock or 1911, puggle or pit)
 #52800  by jslacker

So I was out in my apartment complex walking my dog, when an unmarked crown vic pulls along side me. The officer wasn’t in plain clothes but he didn’t have a uniform on either, so I can only assume he was a county cop as I saw a marked county car coming into the complex with his lights activated. I think to myself oh great here we go… So he stops and looks at me for a bit, so I stop and lean over to look into his car. He asks me if I have seen a white male in a brown jersey. I say no, and he asks me again like he wanted to give me a second chance to answer his question. I respond again no, sir I haven’t, I just got out here a minute ago with my dog as I point down to my leashed puggle. After he asks me about this suspect he is looking for I think to myself, awesome an encounter with LEO without them asking me about my pistol. I guess I jumped the gun so to speak on this one. He then asks me if I walk around in here with a weapon, I responded yes sir I carry a firearm everywhere I go, if I can. He responded by saying oh ok and have a nice day. The cynic in me wanted to think that if he was not looking for a suspect he probably would have hassled me a bit for my pistol, bu the OC’er in me was glad that all he had to say was oh ok. Also glad that I don’t own any brown jerseys, I can only imagine how that scenario would have unfolded…
 #52806  by WPCatfish

Unfortunately, it's not unusual for the NCCoPD to be looking for someone in your neighborhood. My former neighbor used to fill me on on these (he was Wilmington PD) until one day he was the guy they were looking for...
 #52807  by jslacker

WPCatfish wrote:... until one day he was the guy they were looking for...
:o
 #58671  by jslacker

I was OCing in my neighborhood today as is the routine...

I was taking trash to the dumpster and I saw a man walking his dog, I gave him the head nod acknowledgment and continued to the dumpster. As I was returning from making my deposit I passed the gentleman with the dog and as I get maybe 10 feet passed him, I hear "This is not a warzone!" As I turned around for a rebuttal he is just walking on like nothing was said. Hell IDK maybe it wasn't him that said it, it could have been somebody shouting down from there window that I did not see. I'm thinking now if it was a bad idea to turn around to investigate the comment, because the person who said it obviously has issues with firearms, so I doubt I could have changed their opinion on OC and guns as a whole. I'm just mad that since I had a gun on my hip, my smartmouth couldn't had said something like, "No, its not, but there is a ton of criminals and criminal activity in this area and I refuse to let anybody else be responsible for my safety!" Gotta be an ambassador to the OC movement, so once I realized that the comment was made to not be challanged I just kept on my way back home.

I think this was the first truly negative comment I've received from the public at large since I've started to OC.
 #58672  by astro_wanabe

jslacker wrote:I'm thinking now if it was a bad idea to turn around to investigate the comment, because the person who said it obviously has issues with firearms, so I doubt I could have changed their opinion on OC and guns as a whole.
IMO, failing to investigate the comment would have been detirmental to your situational awareness. You wouldn't have known if that guy or someone you hadn't even noticed was approaching you, trying to start a confrontation.
 #58673  by jslacker

Very true, that is an excellent point.
 #58674  by myopicvisionary

Situational awareness is paramount but starting an argument while armed is not going to win us any points. People are thankfully allowed to voice their own opinions. Not everyone is going to agree with yours. Remember, when you are armed, you have to take more "Crap" than before. Just try and explain "provoking" or "escalating" to a jury.