You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #49833  by rmalec

Me and my pop's had a road trip to Texas planned for Thursday. We were making the trip to buy a boat down there, and were going to be driving across the country with a decent amount of cash on us. After me figuring out all the Carry Laws in the states we were going through, Thursday got here and me and my dad went to the bank to pick up the money. Me OC'ing of course. He was a little weirded out by the fact that Delaware's open carry law with cars is my gun on the dash, but off to the bank we go.

Anyway, first time OC'ing in a bank. My Dad and I have both had accounts at this Delaware National forever and the ladies all know us by name, so they did have some questions when they saw me walk in with a gun. I explained OC, and also the fact that my dad was taking out alot of cash through his equity line, ect... They understood completely and had no problems with me OC'ing in the bank.

So we get home, and the brokerage guy from Texas calls and explains that the actual owner of the boat sold it to someone locally Wednesday night without the broker's knowledge :banghead: :banghead:. Long story short, we were both pissed, went back to the bank again to put the money back, and are back on the hunt for another boat.

Sidebar: Texas restricts handgun Open Carry in public, but doesn't care about long guns. Figured Texas being...Texas...they would be super pro Open Carry. And get this, you can have a handgun in your glove box or center console LOADED and concealed as long as your "traveling" which we most certainly were. Seems a little bass ackwards to me.
 #49835  by zencat

rmalec wrote:
Sidebar: Texas restricts handgun Open Carry in public, but doesn't care about long guns. Figured Texas being...Texas...they would be super pro Open Carry. And get this, you can have a handgun in your glove box or center console LOADED and concealed as long as your "traveling" which we most certainly were. Seems a little bass ackwards to me.
It's all those leftist liberal hippies hangin' out in Austin...but TSRA is workin' on it!
https://www.tsra.com/

zencat :ugeek:
 #50977  by rmalec

OC'ed to my usual Dunkin Donuts off Limestone Sunday for coffee and donuts for the fam. Nothing interesting.

After that I drove across the lot to Valero for gas (4.00 a gallon :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ). After spending my life away in pumping I see an older man walking up to me. He comes up, shakes my hand, says hes Jerry and 73 years old, and he couldn't help notice my S+W on my hip. So we get to talking and he says how he always carries and has been carrying for some time, ect.. and then proceeds to open his jacket and show me a nice Glock 26. I asked him if he knew about DELOC and he replied hes not online much, but has herd of us. I told him to stop bye the site, he thanked me, and went on his way.

Finished pumping and left without any more interaction. Interesting encounter, and my first one with another person who carries.
 #51601  by rmalec

OC'ed to Happy Harry's to grab stamps, and then to the Bank. No issues whatsoever.
 #52104  by rmalec

OC'ed to Valero for gas. No issues there as per usual.

Then headed to Harbor Freight Tools to get a new tow strap for the jeep, considering my other one frayed out. Had a lot of stares, but no one said anything until I got outside. Had a mechanic of some sort ask me how hard it was to get a permit to carry. I explained how OC'ing vs. CC'ing works and he was surprised at the fact that no permit for OC is needed. He shook my hand, thanked me, and I went on my way.

Sidenote: OC'ing in a jeep with no doors or top SUCKS. I don't have a holster rig setup on the dash, and I am sure as hell not leaving my S+W on the seat to fall out. It feels like I am drawing so much attention to myself when I have to go to the little trunk area of the Jeep when I stop to arm up. People stare at my rig as it is because it is lifted even though I think it is small. It's FRUSTRATING as all hell.
 #55996  by rmalec

Finally got a Serpa for my new XD .45, so I can actually add to this again.

Went to Happy Harry's for some smokes. The lady behind the counter wouldn't take her eyes off my hip, at all. Luckily, one of the cashiers was a buddy from school and we got to talking, so that obviously put her at ease.

Then went to Dunkin Donuts for a coffee. No issues there as usual.
 #56000  by dean

If you have no doors couldn't you just wear it on your left hip in cross draw position?
 #56016  by rmalec

dean wrote:If you have no doors couldn't you just wear it on your left hip in cross draw position?
Technically yes, but that posses logistical problems. Leaving the right handed holster on my left hip for a cross draw would be extremely...awkward if the need ever did arise.