You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #306  by dave_in_delaware

Wynder wrote:... my wife ... actually wants to learn how to shoot now ...

She's still apprehensive about it, says she has no interest in getting a CCDW and probably not wanting to carry in general, but wants to know how to be able to use it.
:applause: :pbjtime: :applause: :pbjtime: :applause:

That's great! Tell her she wouldn't be the only girl in the group then!!
 #316  by Sprat

Wynder wrote:
... my wife ... actually wants to learn how to shoot now ...

She's still apprehensive about it, says she has no interest in getting a CCDW and probably not wanting to carry in general, but wants to know how to be able to use it.

That's great! Tell her she wouldn't be the only girl in the group then!!

we should have a ladies day to teach our women to shoot our carry weapons, thats why I brought Deb to the last range meet and lunch, the reason was to get her used to handling my carry gun JUST IN CASE!!!!!!

sprat
 #319  by dave_in_delaware

Sprat wrote:we should have a ladies day to teach our women to shoot our carry weapons, thats why I brought Deb to the last range meet and lunch, the reason was to get her used to handling my carry gun JUST IN CASE!!!!!!
That's a great idea, although my woman doesn't need to learn how to shoot my carry weapon. She's already a better shot than I am!!! :P I do forsee some of the other guys here having difficulty getting their women to shoot though. IIRC some don't like shooting (or guns at all). But I'm hopeful that if they hear that other women are learning/shooting, maybe they'll break out of their "no guns" habit.
 #320  by radnor

I have a S&W .22 if you want to start her out on something small. Let me know.
 #321  by Wynder

radnor wrote:I have a S&W .22 if you want to start her out on something small. Let me know.
Actually, that's a great idea -- I'd love to take you up on the offer. It's a matter of finding a time when we can have our kids at my sister's for the weekend so we can actually get out of the house alone.
 #322  by radnor

Wynder wrote:
radnor wrote:I have a S&W .22 if you want to start her out on something small. Let me know.
Actually, that's a great idea -- I'd love to take you up on the offer. It's a matter of finding a time when we can have our kids at my sister's for the weekend so we can actually get out of the house alone.
Not a problem. You have my cell number, call me when you are ready.
 #323  by Sprat

My carry gun is a Walther PP in 32 cal great for women and young boys. when ever I show up on time the ladies are welcome to use. oh granted 32 acp is not powerful its better than a hammer or rock and is very light carry. my 9mm's seem bulky for CCW, except for my Beretta 1951, the grand daddy to the 92F

sprat
 #373  by Wynder

Apr 12, 2008:

8:10AM: Hit McDonalds in Governer's Square (7 & 40) for some breakfast. No comments.

8:25AM: Hit Walmart (13/40) for Ammo -- they're STILL out of 9mm. Gonna have to head over to the one on 141 for match ammo next week. No comments.

8:30AM: Hit Shooter's Supply on 13 to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo. Go made no mention and I checked out the M&P 40 compact they had there. Didn't like the trigger pull much.

8:40AM: Hit Ommelanden and chatted with MrBruce and Stephpd while the cashier opened. MyopicVisionary was there as well -- all in all, it was a nice day at the range! I shot like crap, Myopic is dead-on accurate (lessons?! ;p). We stuck around for 15 minutes and had fun chatting until it started raining.

Good day so far.
 #378  by Wynder

Con't from above...

4:30pm: I went to the traveling carnival that's setup by 40 and Salem Church Road by the Wawa.

First, let me preface this by saying that, up until yesterday, I've been cheating. With my license and the cold weather, I've been able to be discreet as I liked. With the past couple of days being very mild, I haven't been able to wear a jacket and it's the first time I've gone without my 'crutch'.

In any case, to put it bluntly, I was kind of crapping my pants about taking my 4 year-old to the carnival. I *knew* there would be police presence. We got there and, as we went to get on the ferris wheel, I spotted a trooper. As me and my daughter were waiting to get on the wheel, she began walking in our general direction -- a little faster than an officer casually patrolling, so I thought something was up, but we got on the ferris wheel and she continued her walk around the grounds.

After that, my daughter got on the giant swing. Next was the merry-go-round -- this was fun. Apparently, the operator saw my gun as I was standing next to my kid... the conversation went something like this:

Him: What're you doing with the Glock? (casually asking)

*woosh*

Me: It's not a Glock, it's a Springfield Armory.

*woosh*

Him: Oh, what're you doing with the gun, are you a Detective? (those of you who know me know that I generally try to dress somewhat well, so I was waiting to be asked this).

*woosh* (okie, hopefully by now you get the idea we're on the ride and this conversation is taking place while we're aligned with him while the ride is moving, so I'll dispense with the *wooshes*).

Me: Nope! Just a citizen.

Him: You allowed to pack it down here?

Me: As long as it's in plain view. You need a license if you want to conceal it.

Him: Oh.

Finally, the ride was all done and we concluded our conversation:

Him: We need a license to carry anything down south.

Me: Where at?

Him: Georgia.

Me: Oh! Yeah, most states are Open Carry, so you can carry as long as it's not concealed.

---
So, that was nice. Daughter then hit the kid's boats, then finally we went on the smaller ferris wheel. As we were getting on the operator engaged me in conversation:

Him: You law enforcement?

Me: Nope, just a citizen.

Him: You're not law enforcement? We don't charge law enforcement.

Me: *laughs* Nope... thanks for asking, though!
---

Between the merry-go-round and the small ferris wheel, there were two troopers that were very close by. I *think* they saw... if they did, they didn't seem to care. Not sure, though.

We then walked right over to Jake's and grabbed a bit of food inside (which was packed with kid and people from the carnival.

All in all, I'm sure plenty of people noticed, the only people who asked were the operators and they were completely cool with it.
 #393  by myopicvisionary

Thanks for the compliment but I did jerk some shots WAY out of the group! I had a great time meeting you guys yesterday. I should have posted the business card you gave me on the bulletin board at the range. Do you have any extras?