You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #69481  by jminnich66

SugarBoy13 wrote:
And here I thought I was going to get him to agree...

The sad reality is that a move such as this may be justified based on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 where employers and/or facilities that serve the general public ("public accommodations") must accommodate everyone regardless of race, gender, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, finger size, "member" size, etc. It is rather scary how much the commerce clause has expanded.

Now, don't get me wrong, discrimination should not be acceptable in this society and certainly can not be tolerated coming from a governmental agency. However, Congress does not have the authority to dictate who an individual or private property owner chooses to associate with when we view the Constitution from an Originalist's perspective.
i just dont understand how someones private policy can prevent us from one of our rights??
and i dont see how that is comforting seeing what happened in CO ( :banghead: ) (God bless all the families!) the way i see it they are makin it easier for that dissaster to happen over again!! how are some people so ignorant and naive!!
 #69482  by WPCatfish

jminnich66 wrote: is there any other places i should be weary about OC besides the christiana mall or movie theaters?? and of course all federal and govt buildings and state parks ect..

The entire City of Dover. Legally ban on OC.

Check out the 'Encounters of Note' and 'Gun Ownership Patronage' forums, they will detail some private business' stances on OC.
 #69484  by SugarBoy13

jminnich66 wrote:
SugarBoy13 wrote:

The sad reality is that a move such as this may be justified based on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 where employers and/or facilities that serve the general public ("public accommodations") must accommodate everyone regardless of race, gender, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, finger size, "member" size, etc. It is rather scary how much the commerce clause has expanded.

Now, don't get me wrong, discrimination should not be acceptable in this society and certainly can not be tolerated coming from a governmental agency. However, Congress does not have the authority to dictate who an individual or private property owner chooses to associate with when we view the Constitution from an Originalist's perspective.
i just dont understand how someones private policy can prevent us from one of our rights??
and i dont see how that is comforting seeing what happened in CO ( :banghead: ) (God bless all the families!) the way i see it they are makin it easier for that dissaster to happen over again!! how are some people so ignorant and naive!!
At least in DE they don't! It may be a private policy, but you can't get arrested for it. I ignore these goons all the time and carry anyway with my government sponsored permission slip to carry concealed. :troll:

Anyway...

Our right to bear arms is based on the 2nd amendment to the Constitution and that is, basically, a contract between the people and its government. It sets the bounds of fair play for both the state and federal governments, more limits on the federal and less on the state with the people (supposedly) having the least restrictions. Individual rights, if we consider the first 8 amendments, spell out or highlight rather sensitive subjects for the framers at the time of its drafting. the 9th amendment was meant to protect those that were not specifically mentioned but, emphasized that an individual's right were expanding while the government's were "well" defined and limited.

So, now we get to private property rights...Well, with the exception of emanate domain and the ever-expanding commerce clause (Article I, Section 8 + bullshit Supreme Court jurisprudence = crazy batshit justification to tell business owners what to do) the Constitution does not cover private, non-government related relationships. In other words, your Constitutional rights do not apply when on someone's property. For example, you can not sue Wawa for taking down protest signs you erected on their property claiming a violation of free speech.

You do not have a right to erect a sign on someone else's property without their permission! Your right to free speech does not trump the property owner's right to maintain his property and protect his own speech rights by preventing your propaganda from showing up on his lawn and misrepresenting his views.

As Chip mentioned earlier, your rights extend until they infringe on someone else's. No one's rights trump another's (well, here we go again but, the courts have determined that there are privileged classes such as minorities, cops, politicians, high paying lobbists, etc.).

Anyway, the moral of the story is that there is a difference between the gobermint infringing your Constitutional rights and an individual, private business or property owner. The government must abide by the Constitution and individuals must comply with the law (provided that such laws are Constitutional), hence my little exercise earlier...

Hope that helps, we could go on and on with discussion, but I have to work...
 #69485  by scampbell3

jminnich66 wrote:
While I will agree with part of the logic in your statement however, you are confusing the line between a perceived 'policy' and your rights. The policy that you are disagreeing with is, in fact, the owners right. One right cannot cancel out another right. If that were the case, then the rights that are "endowed by our Creator" (i.e. natural rights) are in fact just merely a function of government that can be changed at will to meet the desire of a majority.

Chip
 #69489  by jminnich66

SugarBoy13 wrote:
jminnich66 wrote:
SugarBoy13 wrote:

At least in DE they don't! It may be a private policy, but you can't get arrested for it. I ignore these goons all the time and carry anyway with my government sponsored permission slip to carry concealed. :troll:

Anyway...

Our right to bear arms is based on the 2nd amendment to the Constitution and that is, basically, a contract between the people and its government. It sets the bounds of fair play for both the state and federal governments, more limits on the federal and less on the state with the people (supposedly) having the least restrictions. Individual rights, if we consider the first 8 amendments, spell out or highlight rather sensitive subjects for the framers at the time of its drafting. the 9th amendment was meant to protect those that were not specifically mentioned but, emphasized that an individual's right were expanding while the government's were "well" defined and limited.

So, now we get to private property rights...Well, with the exception of emanate domain and the ever-expanding commerce clause (Article I, Section 8 + bullshit Supreme Court jurisprudence = crazy batshit justification to tell business owners what to do) the Constitution does not cover private, non-government related relationships. In other words, your Constitutional rights do not apply when on someone's property. For example, you can not sue Wawa for taking down protest signs you erected on their property claiming a violation of free speech.

You do not have a right to erect a sign on someone else's property without their permission! Your right to free speech does not trump the property owner's right to maintain his property and protect his own speech rights by preventing your propaganda from showing up on his lawn and misrepresenting his views.

As Chip mentioned earlier, your rights extend until they infringe on someone else's. No one's rights trump another's (well, here we go again but, the courts have determined that there are privileged classes such as minorities, cops, politicians, high paying lobbists, etc.).

Anyway, the moral of the story is that there is a difference between the gobermint infringing your Constitutional rights and an individual, private business or property owner. The government must abide by the Constitution and individuals must comply with the law (provided that such laws are Constitutional), hence my little exercise earlier...

Hope that helps, we could go on and on with discussion, but I have to work...
ok thanks sugarboy!! i completely understand what ur saying now. all he is aloud to do is ask me to leave his property or to comeback w/o my firearm. it is his property and he decides if he wants to allow firearms on the premises.
...but wouldnt his rights be infringing on mine then as well? but only b.c its his property does he have the "upper hand" just some thought lol the 2nd amendment does have specify location or private propety?
thanks alot guys and gals for all the help and info!!! :applause: :applause:
 #69493  by SugarBoy13

jminnich66 wrote:
ok thanks sugarboy!! i completely understand what ur saying now. all he is aloud to do is ask me to leave his property or to comeback w/o my firearm. it is his property and he decides if he wants to allow firearms on the premises.
...but wouldnt his rights be infringing on mine then as well? but only b.c its his property does he have the "upper hand" just some thought lol the 2nd amendment does have specify location or private propety?
thanks alot guys and gals for all the help and info!!! :applause: :applause:
Well, actually, no it wouldn't. You have the privilege of being on his property, not the right to be there. Very different.

Now, if you both were on a public sidewalk and he started complaining about feeling "unsafe" with you and your gun, then proceeds to call the police to have you removed and they do it. Now, you may have a case of infringement.
 #69494  by jminnich66

SugarBoy13 wrote:
jminnich66 wrote:
Now, if you both were on a public sidewalk and he started complaining about feeling "unsafe" with you and your gun, then proceeds to call the police to have you removed and they do it. Now, you may have a case of infringement.
wouldnt there have to be a reason she felt unsafe? simply just having my gun on me isnt against the law correct?? i mean its not hard to make something up... specially these days....
 #69499  by myopicvisionary

He can call the cops. The cops are obligated to respond. If you are not harrasing him or your conduct is not disorderly, they then have no RAS to detain you. Citizens do not have a right to feel warm and fuzzy.
 #69513  by bluedog46

myopicvisionary wrote:Yes it is legal, but property owners have the right to refuse to allow carrying on their property. If they demand you to leave and you refuse, you are now guilty of criminal trespass.

Can they do the same is a muslim is wearing a mask? IF two girls are kissing can someone say that is making them uncomfortable?

Seems discrimination is discrimination, but I guess some would say you dont need to wear a gun. I would advise them to watch the news.

Also if you dont leave and they call the cops. If you leave as soon as the cops come does that get you out of the criminal tresspass of do you have to leave when they ask you to?

If I was waiting for food or something I could probably get it before the cops get there.
 #69514  by bluedog46

jminnich66 wrote: BTW, Congratulations on joining the dark side (OC). :applause: :applause: :applause:

thanks chip. i undestand what u are sayin now. also another question. is there any other places i should be weary about OC besides the christiana mall or movie theaters?? and of course all federal and govt buildings and state parks ect..[/quote]

I think you mentioned Christiana Hospital ( all of them actually), City of dover was discussed, Rite Aid Pharmacy ( see my encounter), New Castle Farmers Market. Off hand I cant think of anymore that are not really common knowlege besides Camden Walmart.

Oh the wilmington police often think its illegal to oc, but its not and I think they have coughed up some coin over that mistake.