You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #90172  by stephpd

Yeah, the first time an incident happens it catches folks off guard. I'd have asked him more directly if he'd prefer I take my money elsewhere and that I'd be letting corporate know of his disregard of my rights. Put's them in a position instead of on yourself. I'd never disarm or 'hide' my gun and rights to just make someone feel better. Especially if I'm about to willingly give them some of my money in exchange for stuff I want.

Small businesses are one thing but big box stores are a completely different. They often operate in many states and usually have a policy to obey all laws. And why Starbucks seems to get attention lately, as if they're the only one.

Letting corporate know of the incident is always a good response, no matter what happens. The managers may not like it but sometimes they need to remember they are just a small cog in the machinery and it's not their store. Loss of a single customer is never good. Loosing a larger chunk is even worse.
 #90178  by Taurus247

cslade454 wrote:If Dicks is going continue selling guns they are required by Delaware to do transfers of private sales. As a result the can not ban the open carry of firearms in there stores. They can restrict the open carry of them though, like requiring them to be unloaded, but they can not ban them.

I would suggest anytime you are asked not to open carry in a gun shop you call the AG offices and complain that you were not allowed to bring a gun in for a transfer. After a shop has to go though the complain process with the state they will never say a word about open carry again.
I agree... Shooters choice in dover... hmm...
 #90186  by sanman9781

cslade454 wrote:If Dicks is going continue selling guns they are required by Delaware to do transfers of private sales. As a result the can not ban the open carry of firearms in there stores. They can restrict the open carry of them though, like requiring them to be unloaded, but they can not ban them.

I would suggest anytime you are asked not to open carry in a gun shop you call the AG offices and complain that you were not allowed to bring a gun in for a transfer. After a shop has to go though the complain process with the state they will never say a word about open carry again.

but can't they require that all firearms brought into the store be unloaded and cased? I don't see how open carry has anything to do with the transfer...and also, doesn't the transfer only require the background check and no need for the actual weapon to be present? it isn't like Dick's is going to inspect the weapon or do anything other than make the phone call (and collect the fee)...Dick's wouldn't be a part of the actual transaction...or am I mistaken? I could have sworn that I read that Walmart still stopped selling firearms in DE because they were afraid that people would be unnecessarily be bringing firearms for the transfer when it wasn't actually required...
 #90218  by Kuntryboy816

Were you at the Dick's by the Christiana Mall? My brother and I were in there week before last. I had my FN OC and we perused around the hunting and fishing aisles for awhile. We even stopped by the firearms and ammo counter and talked to the guy for about 10 mins...even bought ammo. Not a word was said to me.
 #90369  by JChigges

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Were you at the Dick's by the Christiana Mall? My brother and I were in there week before last. I had my FN OC and we perused around the hunting and fishing aisles for awhile. We even stopped by the firearms and ammo counter and talked to the guy for about 10 mins...even bought ammo. Not a word was said to me.
That's correct, the DSGs by the Christiana Mall. I think they gave me such a hassle since I just turned 21 and I look young regardless. I appreciate all the help everyone. I'm more informed now, and I'll be able to stand my ground better next time.
 #90427  by cslade454

The ATF requires for a transfer that the Firearm importer, manufacture, model, serial number and caliber be recorded and the name and address from a valid ID of the seller. This all has to be done before the 4473 can be filled out by the buyer and the background check called in.

If any shop will not allow you to carry a firearm into there business(for a potential transfer) call Captain Jason Sapp DSP 302-672-5300. The owners will have to attend a hearing and may have there Delaware license suspended for 30 day. I suspect that after having to go though this they wont say anything to any body again.
 #90476  by Pjd832

cslade454 wrote:The ATF requires for a transfer that the Firearm importer, manufacture, model, serial number and caliber be recorded and the name and address from a valid ID of the seller. This all has to be done before the 4473 can be filled out by the buyer and the background check called in.

If any shop will not allow you to carry a firearm into there business(for a potential transfer) call Captain Jason Sapp DSP 302-672-5300. The owners will have to attend a hearing and may have there Delaware license suspended for 30 day. I suspect that after having to go though this they wont say anything to any body again.
I'm not so sure that when calling the capt. after explaining that you firearm was "carried in" for the transfer loaded in a holster on your side it will go much further with him in that route ...and will probably see the angle and advise you to call the businesses corporate office .....furthermore technically wouldn't it be filing a false report?
 #90477  by Pjd832

Taurus247 wrote:I agree... Shooters choice in dover... hmm...
Speaking of them...I remember one time a couple yrs ago was passing by there while cc ing having never been there stopped in to check it out and run a box through my cc.....guy wigged out on me.... So I took my money and left lol
 #90479  by Taurus247

Pjd832 wrote:
Taurus247 wrote:I agree... Shooters choice in dover... hmm...
Speaking of them...I remember one time a couple yrs ago was passing by there while cc ing having never been there stopped in to check it out and run a box through my cc.....guy wigged out on me.... So I took my money and left lol
Yea they are asses there. Noticing the HUGE sign out front that says no loaded firearms allowed I went in and asked if I could bring in a revolver I was looking to sell and the guy told me at least five time to make sure it was unloaded. All their stuff is over priced anyway so I go to vipers. Hes never said anything to me about carrying. :D