You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #93934  by RepoManFromDE

Good evening all, I am new member as of today but found the forum a few weeks ago. Today I built up the courage to OC for the first time. I live in the Pike Creek area and had some errands to run and decided it was now or never. I have read a wealth of information that has been shared on this forum and I would like to say thanks. I have been delaying this day because finding a holster for my PT1911 45acp. that was comfortable to me (6'3" 260) was tough. A friend recommended Tagua Leather. I ordered the Quick draw BH-2 after talking with their sales department rep. I have never worn a holster or gun so it is taking some getting used to but it is comfortable in both standing, and seated positions. I have noticed no movement what so ever of gun position in the holster regardless of body position. I also was concerned that I may have an issue with the Safety turning off but it has not at all either. Kinda felt like a kid the last week playing cops and robbers wearing a gun around the house. The cat looks at me kinda funny. Like I stated above today was the day. I live in a town home community thats usually pretty busy but no one was outside that I noticed. I have a smaller sedan and had no issues managing to stay comfortable but I would love someone to recommend a solution for if I wanted to not wear while driving. I was kind of thinking a holster clipped to a visor. Would that be in plain view enough to put a police officer at ease? Anyways went to the barber shop and 4 or 5 people inside and 3 barbers. Expecting a scene to occur I honestly don't think anyone stared, if they did I am not aware they made it evident. Sat, waited, cut off some mop and off I went to WaWa. Its 5PM in Hockessin WaWa and its packed. I almost chickened out but have read others blogs and figured the apprehension would ease with time so I got out and walked in. I only needed a few items and got in line. I am a very social person and I enjoy striking up a conversation every chance I get with a stranger, but tonight I just wasn't feeling it. I was very nervous the entire time inside but I really don't think anyone else was, if they were they didn't show it. I drove home and that was that! I am thankful my first OC went this way because I plan to do it tomorrow and maybe get over some of these jitters!

Again thanks to all members for helping me to make today happen. And if anyone else has any holster ideas for us big guys, post em up! Have a good evening everyone!
 #93938  by Bullpup

RepoManFromDE wrote:I have a smaller sedan and had no issues managing to stay comfortable but I would love someone to recommend a solution for if I wanted to not wear while driving.
Congratulations on your first OC outing! But unless you have your CCDW, wearing your gun while driving would be illegally concealing it. It should be placed in full view on the dashboard or passenger seat. Search the forums for dash-mount holster ideas.
 #93941  by RepoManFromDE

I was unsure of this but to be cautious I used one of those as seen on tv miracle cell phone grip things actually 2 next to each other and placed them on the dash board. It never moved so I will call it a win, but thanks for the info, and will come up with something better!
 #93944  by Kuntryboy816

Congrats on your first OC experience and welcome to the board. It becomes 2nd nature after awhile and you will get over the nervousness. Come out to one of the Deloc meet & greets. It's a great way to meet other OC'ers and when you are asked about your sidearm it's b/c we're actually genuinely interested. :mrgreen:

As for OC while in your vehicle, Bullpup hit it on the head. The easiest route is to buy a cheap transfer holster like a nylon Bulldog or Blackhawk ($10-$15). I call it a transfer holster b/c I don't remove my BH Serpa with the paddle. It is a major pain to get it off my hip and I really don't think unbuckling my belt and pants in public is the best idea. I just unholster my FN, put it in the nylon holster and velcro it to the grab handle in my wife's SUV. I have the same nylon holster mounted to the dash in my Wrangler. I have them both pointed down to the floor instead of laying it horizontally b/c I don't want it pointed at anyone/thing in the case of an accidental discharge. I'll post up some pictures of them later.
 #93969  by M&P40Noobie

I got a Blackhawk Sportster ambidextrous #06 from Wal-Mart for $15. I rigged a strap around my headrest on my passenger seat to hang it from. It is able to be seen looking in my windshield, passenger and driver side window. At night it is still easily visible, so there is no trying to get me on concealing with darkness. Out of my car I just put it in my SERPA with a paddle.
 #94799  by spillanej

M&P40Noobie wrote:I got a Blackhawk Sportster ambidextrous #06 from Wal-Mart for $15. I rigged a strap around my headrest on my passenger seat to hang it from. It is able to be seen looking in my windshield, passenger and driver side window. At night it is still easily visible, so there is no trying to get me on concealing with darkness. Out of my car I just put it in my SERPA with a paddle.
Concealed and not readily visible are two different things. For instsance, I am on the larger side these days (6'2", 240lbs), from 200 degrees around me you cannot see my OC full size Smith and Wesson in a high rise SERPA. I surprise a lot of people I meet 20 minutes into a conversation lol.. it's still not illegally concealed though.. I'm just fat lol.

When pulled over at night you should always turn your car off, hazard lights and interior lights on. Helps prevent an unnecessary dose of lead, and the hazards surprisingly create restraint in younger officers; it shows you care about their safety.