You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #99029  by Roach

Thank you all for the advice, I am going to go to target master to try a few and see how it goes.

May 30th,

I left work and stopped by the mall, I was gong to take at a look at a few things at the gamestop, but on my way I was met by security. The man called for my attention to inform me I cannot open carry my 1911 in the mall. I pointed out that I did not see any sign up on the door. He showed me the sign, which is located on that wall in between the doors stating No firearms or illegal weapons. I thanked him for showing me the sign and he thanked me for understanding about it.

I then tried to go to costco but was stopped by their manager at the door. Stating they don't allow firearms inside. Later on I thought I should have asked how do they plan on keeping people safe from a individual who would not abide their rules. I am slow to comebacks and remarks like that. :banghead:

June 01,

Today I walked with my girlfriend around main street, with the colt on my belt. We went to margaritas, and had some pizza and was trying to find the Marine recruiter that used to be in the area. Though they are no longer there on main street. Overall uneventful day, I noticed a few looks and some panhandlers did not even try to ask me for money.
 #99031  by Boots

Roach wrote:... I then tried to go to costco but was stopped by their manager at the door. Stating they don't allow firearms inside. ....
I've never had a problem OCing at the Newark BJ's Wholesale Club, so I recommend them.

Apparently you're a member of Costco? Cancel your membership and ask for an appropriate refund of the membership cost. Make sure you tell them WHY you are canceling!
 #99032  by Roach

Thank you for the advice, I do not plan on giving costco any more money.
 #99039  by Dugan

Yea you can get your membership re-imbursed.

I have yet to try OCing in the mall. I have no reason to go there really, but if we did is it worth the hassle?
 #99048  by Roach

Not much of a hassle really. I have gotten the managements contact info, I plan on writing a email to them.
 #99052  by astro_wanabe

Roach wrote:Not much of a hassle really. I have gotten the managements contact info, I plan on writing a email to them.
Costco is a known anti-gun company and likely isn't changing any time soon. You're far from the first person stopped there, and they obviously have yet to be persuaded to change their views. BJ's is indeed the recommended alternative.
 #99299  by Roach

June 7th,

I left my house on Saturday at 0500, heading up to Elkland PA for a memorial ride with Combat Vets for my friend who was killed in Afghanistan during our deployment, LCPL Michael Plank June 9th 2010. I left the house with my 1911 and spare mag and proceeded in PA, loaded with PMC hollow points. I made two stops along the 260 mile trip, one at a truck stop and another at a gas station. People noticed my pistol but gave no alarm.

Once I had arrived, I met the 50 bikers that gathered from the small towns to ride that day. Had one Vietnam Veteran say, "Your hammer is back", I replied,"Yes sir, the slide safety is on". He smiled and we started the ride. The ride started at 1030 to 1600 and was a great event. I am amazed by the support by that small community had. People volunteered to block roads for us, people were on the side waving and holding American Flags. Heck, I wanted to buy a house right there and move. We did have to go into New York so I had to put the pistol in the trunk and put the mags in my glove box (which I locked).

After the ride the brother of Plank, his wife, and another veteran who I have served with and his wife, went fishing. The brothers wife pointed out my pistol and I asked, " Is it making you uncomfortable?", she replied, " No, I feel safer with you having it.". There are bears in the area where we were at and come crazy people as well (if local stories are true). Then the rest of the time, they were joking about if I didn't catch anything would I just start shooting into the water. Was almost tempting but I reframed. To note we only caught two fish. There were plenty jumping out of the water, just none were biting.

The event was well done. Sad memory, but it is good to know that town will always remember his sacrifice.
 #99300  by WPCatfish

You may want to be careful having any kind of handgun in NY without their permit.
 #99301  by Roach

I was nervous, I thought the route was to be in PA, wasn't until we were about to head out when I was informed on traveling into New York. Fortunately, the area we had our ride was the rural, in the mountains. I didn't touch the pistol until we were done and back in Elkland.

It is ridiculous, how you have to have a permit to own a handgun. I thought that is what the 2nd Amendment is for.

Never mind, I have done a search and found the idiotic reasoning as to why New York has such laws.
 #99303  by Boots

Roach wrote:... I was informed on traveling into New York. ... I didn't touch the pistol until we were done and back in Elkland. ....
Legally, you should have refused to go into NY with the gun, or found a safe place to leave it in PA. FOPA does not cover what you did and if you had been caught with it in NY, life as you know it would have ended right there.

What would have happened if you were involved in something like a minor motor vehicle mishap and the vehicle was towed? Or, what would you have said if you were stopped for any minor MV violation and were asked "Do you have any firearms?" Would your body-language have given you away?

Is riding for a short time in NY really worth the possibility of permanently losing your right to own, or even touch, a firearm?