If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #44  by dave_in_delaware

Well, on Jan 23, 2008 I decided it was time to test the OC waters w/ my kids. I've been reluctant to OC around them in public, because I don't want them drawing attention to me (us) since I'm carrying, or making a big deal about me having a gun. They've been just fine w/ me OCing a gun at home, and they know the important safety rules regarding guns, too.

Anyway, we decide to go to McDonalds (on 202 in Fairfax). We get inside and go up to the counter. While asking the kids what they want and ordering it, the manager (who was at the cash register next to us) asks:

"Who are you with?"

to which I sort of looked at her a little blankly (since I wasn't aware she was actually talking TO me at first). Afer realizing she's asking me, I say:

"Just me." (yeah, a lame answer I guess, but my kids were distracting my thoughts for a perfect answer).

She patted her hip (in reference to my gun), and asked "No, who are you with?"

So I said "Oh, no one. Just me."

And she said "Oh, OK." (which wasn't an "Oh, OK?" sort of confused thing, but more of an understanding "Oh, OK." final thing. [did that make sense?]... I meant it in that I wasn't with any LE entity, group, etc. I'll admit that I should have answered it a bit more precisely, but at the same time, I don't have to explain myself, either).

So, we sit down to eat, and have a good time. I went back up to the front twice to get ketchup (my kids seem to inhale the stuff) and more napkins. Later, after everyone was done, we all went up to the counter and ordered desserts. The same manager waited on us this time, but she didn't say anything. I almost explained to her about civilians being allowed to OC, blah blah... but she didn't seem concerned, so I didn't "offer" any aditional info or explanation.

After dessert, we got our coats on and headed for the back door (we were sitting near it). A woman who had her son with her stopped us:

"Excuse me, can I ask you a few questions about that" as she pointed quickly to my gun. I was thinking "uh oh, here we go...".

So I say "sure..."

She asks "Are you law enforcement or military?"

to which I reply "No, just a civilian."

To my surprise, she starts asking questions about OC vs CC, and what's necessary to apply for a CCDW, and background checks, and etc. She even says that she thinks it's more of a deterrant to OC than it would be if I was CCing, and that she hasn't seen much OCing by civilians but wishes she did. She was just curious and I answered her questions to the best of my knowledge (which seemed to be good enough for her), and I even mentioned opencarry.org for her to check out. I also gave her a prototype "OC business card" that I've been working on (to give to the "public" for situations like this, to help educate them). I told her about some of the reasons that I choose to OC, and she totally agreed it's about protecting yourself and your family. She thanked me very much for my time (which was only about 5 minutes), and we went on our way.

So, this was the first time anyone wanted to "get into" anything beyond "Are you a cop?" kind of stuff. And it was a pleasant experience to inform the woman about OC. And the fact that it was a woman asking the questions kind of blew my mind. But she was very interested and seemingly curious about the whole concept.

Who knows? Maybe she'll be OCing with us some day!
 #61  by bms429

Good read! Glad people are accepting of the OC idea. Its funny that some people dont question you more. I guess it just proves that they are just sheeple. I know if I didnt know any better I would have asked you why you had a gun on you. Anwyway, good story.