If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #33594  by organized_mayhem

A little off topic of this post but I support AZ as well. They are not saying that anyone that looks foreign can be stopped. Only that when someone is stopped for legal reasons they can be asked to show proof. Nothing wrong with that.
 #33596  by GatorDude

Shrek wrote:Well I guess I'm in the minority on the AZ. thing then. I have no problem if a LEO sees someone that looks like a foreigner (Black, Asian, Hispanic, European well mostly French, Canadian, or Whatever) and asks to see proof of residency. If they don't belong here get them out of the country. If they have proof (Driver's License issued from a birth certificate, Visa, Resident Alien Card) then no problem. If they're belong here, they shouldn't have a problem with it. The illegals seem to be the ones protesting and having a fit about it. Oh, and when one gets caught here illegally, they DON'T get a chance to do it legally.
Right. Why should you ever care about THEIR rights.... You aren't one of them.... Only people with something to hide or who are criminals complain about these types of things. Sorry...but that's not how rights work. Whenever you let someone else have their rights trampled, it is just a matter of time because yours end up on the chopping block as well....
 #33598  by Shrek

They're not legal. They don't have constitutional rights. If they're legal, they do. Alot of people, not saying you, like to have them here for the cheap labor. Let a citizen have their job not to mention the tax paid educational benefits.
 #33599  by Boots

GatorDude wrote:... Why should you ever care about THEIR rights.... You aren't one of them.... Only people with something to hide or who are criminals complain about these types of things. Sorry...but that's not how rights work. Whenever you let someone else have their rights trampled, it is just a matter of time because yours end up on the chopping block as well....
So, are you saying that if I were stopped on my way to Middletown Walmart for driving at night with no taillights, the cop would be violating my rights by checking to see if there are any outstanding warrants for my arrest? Or by determining if I were in this country legally?

Would running the plate number or the VIN to determine if the car was stolen also violate my rights? And, why am I required to show proof of insurance? That had nothing to do with their reason for stopping me.

IMHO, if the circumstances of a routine traffic stop, for example, indicate the person doesn't have the documentation we are all expected to have, such as a driver license or an insurance card, why shouldn't the officer be able to determine if the person is here legally or not?

And, if an officer stopped a U-Haul truck and found it packed with 30 persons, would checking to see if they were in this country legally be violating their rights?

Personally, I don't think the new AZ law is trampling the rights of law-abiding citizens at all.
 #33601  by myopicvisionary

Car stops are one thing. Being detained on foot to check your papers is another!
 #33602  by Boots

myopicvisionary wrote:Car stops are one thing. Being detained on foot to check your papers is another!
Is that in the AZ bill?
 #33604  by stephpd

Shrek wrote:Well I guess I'm in the minority on the AZ. thing then. I have no problem if a LEO sees someone that looks like a foreigner (Black, Asian, Hispanic, European well mostly French, Canadian, or Whatever) and asks to see proof of residency. If they don't belong here get them out of the country. If they have proof (Driver's License issued from a birth certificate, Visa, Resident Alien Card) then no problem. If they're belong here, they shouldn't have a problem with it. The illegals seem to be the ones protesting and having a fit about it. Oh, and when one gets caught here illegally, they DON'T get a chance to do it legally.
Well that includes almost everyone in this country, including you and me. Sorry, but everyone here looks like a foreigner.

And I do have a problem with a total disregard for the 4A. It's no less important then any other right. And they aren't constitutional rights, as if the Constitution can grant rights. They are Constitutionally protected human rights. Being a foreigner doesn't make you less human.

And having the police pull you over, whether in a vehicle or on foot, just to check your papers, is a violation of that right. Being OK with this isn't in support of our Constitution . Might as well turn in your guns and STFU right now. When you allow the government to trample your rights you don't deserve any of them.
 #33609  by George

guess i look like a foreigner, couldn't mistake me for an american indian :?
 #33611  by GatorDude

Boots wrote:
GatorDude wrote:... Why should you ever care about THEIR rights.... You aren't one of them.... Only people with something to hide or who are criminals complain about these types of things. Sorry...but that's not how rights work. Whenever you let someone else have their rights trampled, it is just a matter of time because yours end up on the chopping block as well....
So, are you saying that if I were stopped on my way to Middletown Walmart for driving at night with no taillights, the cop would be violating my rights by checking to see if there are any outstanding warrants for my arrest? Or by determining if I were in this country legally?

Would running the plate number or the VIN to determine if the car was stolen also violate my rights? And, why am I required to show proof of insurance? That had nothing to do with their reason for stopping me.

IMHO, if the circumstances of a routine traffic stop, for example, indicate the person doesn't have the documentation we are all expected to have, such as a driver license or an insurance card, why shouldn't the officer be able to determine if the person is here legally or not?

And, if an officer stopped a U-Haul truck and found it packed with 30 persons, would checking to see if they were in this country legally be violating their rights?

Personally, I don't think the new AZ law is trampling the rights of law-abiding citizens at all.
1. Diriving is a privilege and in exchange for a license to do so, you consent to certain things.

2. Running your plate number does not impact you at all. There is no discernible detention whatsover of invasion of your space.

3. Your insurance card is required as a conditon for both the registration of your vehicle as well as your driver's license neither of which impacts your rights.

4. Pulling you over, asking you to step out of the car, asking for your driver's license and insurance card because you look Mexican would violate your rights. Doing so because you vilated the law in some way before pulling you over is an entirely different situation.