If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #1522  by dave_in_delaware

Well, I've posted this elsewhere, so I'll leave the details out....

Went to "Meet the Cops Day" at Carousel Park this morning. Tons of NCC Police there again today. All the Officers that I either walked past or had DIRECT interaction with were fine w/ my carrying. One actually thought the Statutes stated that OC is legal. Another told me that his Unit got "educated" about OC and that it's lawful in DE. OK, that's great news!

BUT....

their Lieutenant that was there didn't want to hear that the County Park ordinance was illegal (despite me having proof). He basically told me that I had to either disarm (and leave it in my car) or he'd have to ask me to leave.

So, I chose to leave. I wasn't going to disarm just for him.

I did get his name though, just in case I have to "mention" this to anyone of importance. :twisted:

In hindsight, I should have stood my ground and argued w/ him, but I really didn't think he'd hear anything I said anyway. So, sorry to everyone here that I didn't fight more. :oops:
 #1525  by myopicvisionary

Dave,
First off, thanks for the warning message you sent me. I couldn't answer the phone as I was getting my haircut at the time. I wasn't going to go to Carousel since the monsoon was in full fury. It was right not to argue with the guy but to get his name instead. I would definately file a complaint to his superiors.
 #1529  by dave_in_delaware

Yeah, the weather certainly made the event fall out sooner.

I will be filing a complaint about today, especially since it was ONE Officer (and NOT the many many others who were there) who had a problem....
 #1531  by cappilot06

Hey Dave,
Nobody feels like you didn't do the right thing, so don't sweat it. Maybe this has already been done, but can we get a list together of proper channels for complaint filing...from the local law enforcement division who created the problem all the way up to the Governor if necessary. I know that beyond complaining directly to the PD dept in question, and then possibly the city council, I'm not sure who else I would contact.

I have no problem doing some legwork on this, at least for NCC. I can look into the proper channels for complaints that need to be filed against Newark PD, NCC, Wilmington, and State Police. It may take some time, but if everyone thinks its worthwhile, I will do it. Once I get the information together, I can post it on here as a reference for anyone who may run into trouble. This would include names, titles, phone numbers, etc.

I think after some of the problems that guys have faced in PA, we want to have all the information at our fingertips as soon as possible should a situation warrant.

Let me know your thoughts.
 #1532  by dave_in_delaware

I already have a call into the Professional Standards Unit at the NCC Police. I left a message and told them it's in regards to my "experience" at the Meet the Cops Day. Since I got their automated service twice, I'm assuming they're closed until Monday. I'll find out if I should file a complaint, or if I can talk to a supervising officer and tell them my grievances.

What I don't understand is why all the "lower" ranking Officers know about the illegal ordinance (or aren't worried about OC in a County Park), but the higher ups (like this Lieutenant) still don't know?

I would think important info like this would be a trickle-down thing, and not a trickle-up thing.
 #1536  by cappilot06

Hey Dave,
While it should be a trickle-down thing, I think the upper levels might need to be rattled a little bit. They need to know that not all the guys at the bottom are aware of the laws they are being asked to enforce. I could be wrong about that, but sometimes you need to go to the top and let the proverbial "s--t" roll downhill.

You are definitely starting at the right level, though. Let us know what you hear back.
 #1598  by dave_in_delaware

I've commenced communication w/ the Sgt. in the Professional Standards Unit. We'll see where this goes. I'm hoping this'll be an opportunity to possibly educate EVERY NCC Police Officer on certain illegal Park ordinances, the fact that OC is lawful in DE, etc. That way, they're ALL on the same page, and one Lieutenant doesn't contradict what all his subordinants believe and don't have a problem with.
 #1631  by bms429

Good luck in your quest and if you need any assistance that I can provide please let me know.
 #1634  by dave_in_delaware

Well, the response I got from the "complaint department" was NOT what I expected. Apparently they don't know about the ordinance being illegal either, since the Sgt. asked why I wasn't arrested for carrying a weapon in the County park!

:shock: :evil:

Let the battle begin..............................................

Here's the link to more detailed info on this fight: http://www.deloc.org/deloc/forums/viewt ... f=13&t=168