If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #1908  by mustangdave

Went to look at their selection of concealable firearms today. Saw an employee checking the mail when I entered the parking lot. I asked him if they allow OC in the store, he said he'd prefer it to be unloaded. I didn't have a problem with that so I unloaded it and put it back in my holster with the slide back. I was looking at the pistols when:

Employee 1: You drive around like that?
Me: Yup.
E1: No one's said anything about it? (I think he said something about the police)
Me: No, so far nobody.

I told him about dave-in-delaware's incident (said no name)

E2: (Said something about if 1 out of 50 has a problem they will all gang up on you) OC makes you a target, if a guy wants a gun and sees you he'll take it.
Me: Well if that ever happened it would be my fault for not looking out for myself.
E1: So where do you carry?
Me: All over the New Castle area.
E2: ...post offices, court houses. (kinda sarcastically)
Me: No, I'm smarter than that.

I told them about the Utah class and that I'll be starting th DE process soon, and looking for a gun for CC. Looked at a taurus, was a nice little thing and a light trigger. Employee 1 (guy I asked about OC inside) was nice and seemed interested, while the other guy didn't seem to like OC at all and made me very aware of it.
 #1910  by dave_in_delaware

I OC'd in X-Ring during their grand re-opening celebration. No one said a word about it. I was even there w/ my three kids (for about 20 minutes, then we grabbed some free lunch and ate in the car, then went back inside for another 30 minutes). I chatted w/ two different employees, and asked about Pam (who wasn't there). No one said anything about me OCing, even the guys behind the counter packing their own heat....
 #1935  by myopicvisionary

I've OC'd there many times without a word said.
 #1944  by mustangdave

I guess I just looked like a young punk to them.
 #1947  by myopicvisionary

I wouldn't have asked them for permision. It makes you look unsure in what you are doing. If they ask me to leave, I will. But it has never happened!
 #22662  by KevXD45

As I've mentioned in my OC log, I carried there the other day while buying the 2nd Serpa for my dash. No one said a word to me. Even when the Employee (same one who sold me my gun) asked if I was sure I was buying the right one and I responded by turning my hip to the counter and saying: "Yep... it's the same as this one." Didn't blink. He was just being helpful - as those guys always are. I love Xring.

In a related story, my friend from work stopped there a few days ago to pick up his own Serpa. He's CC Permitted, but has decided to OC on occasion thanks to my stories about this site. For his own info, he asked the guy at the counter if it was really okay to OC in the store. The response? "As long as you keep it holstered..." :) He was clearly alluding to the fact that everyone who works there OC's and my friend would quickly be drawn-down on from all sides. It wasn't a threat by any means. More like a friendly reminder. The story was recounted to me as a positive, amusing experience.
 #23873  by GatorDude

KevXD45 wrote:For his own info, he asked the guy at the counter if it was really okay to OC in the store. The response? "As long as you keep it holstered..." :) He was clearly alluding to the fact that everyone who works there OC's and my friend would quickly be drawn-down on from all sides. It wasn't a threat by any means. More like a friendly reminder. The story was recounted to me as a positive, amusing experience.
That response made me laugh out loud. Subtle message there...and quite hysterical.
 #23874  by scampbell3

I have had mixed results with OC and X-ring. There have been times I have not received even a strange look or comment, then there was my last visit. At the end of July, Vic and I were in the store looking for a holster for her Bersa .380, I was OCing and a store employee started in on his irrational preaching against OC. (I do not know his name, and will not describe him here) Despite any effort to have a reasonable conversation with this mental midget, he just keep going off on his anti monologue. He might as well have been preaching from an anti-gun handbook. :poed:
At no time did any of the other employee's get involved or was I asked to to leave. To add insult to irritation, they had a good supply of .380 auto ammunition and they would only let me buy one box WTF!!!. :banghead:

Because of this I WILL NOT take my time to travel to X-Ring and patronize this operation again. If they don't want people to OC, then clearly state that, If they don't have a problem with OC then let patrons OC without being hassled by employee's. This last trip has more then shown to me, again, that there are businesses that are lost on the concept of customer service.

Even though many here have OC'd without problems at X-Ring, because of the actions of one of their employee's, I will not ever go back and spend my money with them. There are smaller shops down here that may not be as well stocked, but can get whatever I need, and they are OC friendly and have fully expressed they have no issue with OC. They also let me to buy as much ammunition as I want at anytime. They appreciated my business and understand what customer service really means.

Chip
 #23875  by SugarBoy13

Chip,

It's rather ironic, don't you think? A gun shop employee preaching Anti-Gun rubbish because, we are exercising our Constitutionally protected right. A right that has a direct impact on their inventory and sales. :o

Let's stop and think about business, sales and marketing opportunities for just a minute. The typical gun owner usually buys more than one gun in their lifetime. Anyone willing to counter that assumption? ...I didn't think so...

We're "collectors." We like specialized weapons, multi-purpose weapons, Bar-b-que pistols (that one was for you George ;) ), rifles and ammo especially suited for the Zombie Apocalypse, etc. In other words, we invent reasons that we need more guns. And if you are a smart business owner, you can tap into that. When you have a patron that is interested in a self-defense weapon and this is their first handgun purchase, they are most likely thinking they will need a permit and carry concealed. You being the knowledgeable gun expert and consultant, you mention that in the Free State of DE you do not need a permit to carry in the OPEN. Immediately the patron goes ---> :shock:

Patron: "So, I can buy a gun TODAY and walk out of here with it on my hip?"

Shop Owner: "Well, you'll need one of these OWB holsters with level 2 retention, of course..."

Patron: "SOLD! What else do I need?"

Shop Owner: "There's always the mag/flashlight holster as well..."

Patron: "Anything else..."

Shop Owner: "Oh, yeah...Don't forget about our CCW course so you can get your permit."

Patron: "Will I need another gun for that too?"

Shop Owner: "Many others do have a specialized CC weapon but, at the very least, you will need an IWB holster." "And there is the BUG too..."

Fools, any gun shop that tolerates this kind of anti-gun crap from their employees is just letting money slip right through their fingers. If they feel so strongly against people carrying guns in the open, go find a job in a NJ gun shop and enjoy the solitude.
 #23876  by dave_in_delaware

That incident sounds like an isolated one, pertaining to that particular employee. I've never had a problem with OCing in X-Ring, no matter who was working there.