If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #2421  by Wynder

So, I'm looking into getting myself and my oldest daughter into martial arts for fitness and discipline purposes respectively.

Yesterday, I hit the place in Eden Square that teaches Wushu (Kung Fu) and today I met with someone from ATA in Governer's Square that teaches Tae Kwon Do.

Because I'd be going to my sessions during the evening, I'd most likely be carrying. I asked them about locked locker facilities, which neither of them had... I bit my lip and brought up the issue, wondering what the reaction would be since they both teach weapons.

Me: "I normally carry a firearm, so I was looking to see if there was a place I could secure it."

They both asked the same thing -- an it's amazing how the two conversations were almost identical... with kind of a puzzled look on their face:

Them: "Oh, are you law enforcement?"

Me: "No, just a father of two daughters... I also shoot competition pistol."

Them: "Wow, cool... but, um... no. Could you leave it locked out in the car?"

Kung Fu Guy: "Wait, no... that's not a good idea."

(The Tae Kwon Do guy didn't realize that.)

Ultimately it came down to this:

Tae Kwon Do Guy: "If you can't make arrangements to secure it outside somewhere, I mean, like, I have a cabinet here that locks if you like.

Kung Fu Guy: "It'd be holstered, yeah? Well, we can always put it behind our desk. It'd be weird for like... a week, then it wouldn't be a big deal."

Ultimately, I was very pleased with the response from both academies. Kudos to both of them.

On a side note, I think I'm going to wind up going with the Wushu style -- it's much more cost effective and you pretty much have close to unlimited access to training in everything from Traditional Kung Fu, Cardio Kick Boxing, MMA, and Tai Chi. Plus, I want to be able to say, "I know Kung Fu."
 #2422  by myopicvisionary

Avoid ATA like the plague! All they want is your money. They keep promoting you so you keep coming back. Our 14yr old made black belt in just over a year. They just want to keep you hooked so you'll buy their equipment. And if you sign up in a long program there's no getting out of it short of a life changing event!
 #2425  by Wynder

Good to know...
 #2429  by dave_in_delaware

"put it behind the desk"?? Yeah, that sounds really secure.

Sounds like we have another Urijah Faber in the making here! :shock: