If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #3842  by sean3686

Figured I would start a thread for those who talk to LEO on the phone.
I will copy and paste from Opencarry.org my conversation I had with a WA deputy, just wanted to ask before I went back home..

I am stationed in Delaware but a Washington state resident. I am planning on coming home next month so I started off by telling him that and asked him a question about RCW 9.41.060
And I guess the exceptions only work if you are off base hunting the enemy...

so it sparked a discussion about OC...

I guess you could call it that. he discouraged it big time and said i could be charged with disorderly conduct. he also said it would be a bigger risk to myself for the fact that the bad guy could take it from me and use it against me. this is true they could,but I carry a Blackhawk serpa with a xd 40ported in it. its not coming out unless you know what your doing.

moved on to talk about having to answer any lead I send downrange. this is true my dad has worked for the state for many years and me being mil I know you better have a good answer for why someones dead and your not. (even though it should be black and white).

He said if its that big of a deal I should get my CC permit. (it is, read the news) but when I come home on leave I wont have time to get it this next trip. ill apply and have my dad send it to me later but no good this trip. then i told him my wife had to mace someone last week and he said less than lethal is great and yea tasers are really great and about the same price as guns, but theres the fact if you miss... you only have one shot. and just like dad said. never bring a knife to a gun fight. he laughed and said yea thats true.

so

in conclusion its

-frowned upon..
-not illegal...
-could be disorderly conduct.. i dont know how they could proved that. thats like saying you talked to me so thats disorderly cuz dont like the way you talk. and wow we have hit on the bill of rights twice!

probably just gonna stay with friends and family more than anything but still seems like we need more public intrest in the vancouver/camas area!
 #3843  by stephpd

Sounds like the standard reply nationwide. Heard the same thing a year ago in this state. Cappiliot got that same reply by the instructor for concealed carry at Target Master in PA.

It's LEO's job to know and enforce the law. Not to make it up as they go along. And knowing that it's legal but refusing to acknowledge this fact they drum up the Disorderly Conduct charge as a catch all for anything they don't like.

I'd check to see if Washington state has anything like this site and see if people are actually carrying openly and what their experiences are. Until the guys here started carrying openly and finding out that it's not the general consensus I'd have said the same for this state. Exercising your right to defend yourself. By whatever means possible. All the time and with what is legal.

Know the laws and obey them. Find out court cases that rule in the peoples favor.

Best of luck going home.

Stay safe.
 #3844  by Wynder

It is NOT disorderly conduct -- hit OpenCarry.Org and stop by the Washington state forums. They are very active and very knowledgeable.

Remember that cops are not lawyers -- they don't interpret the law, they just arrest.
 #3845  by Wynder

http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch ... 043409&p=1
Code: Select all
RCW 9A.84.030
Disorderly conduct.

(1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if the person:

(a) Uses abusive language and thereby intentionally creates a risk of assault;

(b) Intentionally disrupts any lawful assembly or meeting of persons without lawful authority;

(c) Intentionally obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic without lawful authority; or

(d)(i) Intentionally engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct or makes unreasonable noise, within five hundred feet of:

(A) The location where a funeral or burial is being performed;

(B) A funeral home during the viewing of a deceased person;

(C) A funeral procession, if the person described in this subsection (1)(d) knows that the funeral procession is taking place; or

(D) A building in which a funeral or memorial service is being conducted; and

(ii) Knows that the activity adversely affects the funeral, burial, viewing, funeral procession, or memorial service.

(2) Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor.
You have no intent and you don't engage in tumultuous behavior. The officer was giving you a load of bunk.
 #3847  by cappilot06

And if they so choose to unjustly ever arrest me for disorderly conduct I'll fight it and then keep on OC'ing...its only a misdemeanor offense anyway and would easily be overturned in court. ;)

Steve is right...I was given the EXACT same song and dance by the insructor at Target Master. When I countered his arguments against OC'ing, with saying the exact same challenges could be presented with CC (i.e. having your weapon taken away, knowing where your lead is going, having police shoot first and ask questions later) he had nothing really to say. The ONLY advantage to CC MIGHT be suprise, but I still stick with the argument that I would rather deter than have to risk suprising someone who ALREADY has the drop on me. On top of the fact that its not always easy to get to your concealed weapon in a quick enough manner to actually do any good.
Don't let anyone discourage you from OC'ing. Remember, YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG OR ILLEGAL. Just exercising your right to protect yourself and your family.
 #3850  by stephpd

Wynder wrote: (d)(i) Intentionally engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct or makes unreasonable noise, within five hundred feet of:

(A) The location where a funeral or burial is being performed;

(B) A funeral home during the viewing of a deceased person;

(C) A funeral procession, if the person described in this subsection (1)(d) knows that the funeral procession is taking place; or

(D) A building in which a funeral or memorial service is being conducted; and

(ii) Knows that the activity adversely affects the funeral, burial, viewing, funeral procession, or memorial service.
Wow, lots of noise around funerals or what? 4 different reasons for noise around a dead person. I guess they take that seriously.

Back on topic, police are some of the worst legal experts around. The second worst for getting an opinion from is the DA's office. Not because they are wrong but because they aren't there to help, just prosecute.

The police arrest, the DA prosecutes. Frequently they get it wrong. Just look at our friends and the Dickson City incident. Only by knowing the law yourself and not letting them bully you can you keep your freedom. Of course knowing the law better then them might lead to a false arrest but that's how the game is played. The worst part is that there is no personal responsibility for when they do wrong. You take them to court and the taxpayers put up the money and they go back to their jobs.
 #3851  by Wynder

Wow, lots of noise around funerals or what? 4 different reasons for noise around a dead person. I guess they take that seriously.
Remember those religious protesters that used to march on military funerals because they wanted to say that God killed them because America embraces the homosexual culture?

You can bet that part of the ordinance was fairly recently enacted. :)
 #3859  by George

we have our own and a felony for second time!

§ 1303. Disorderly conduct; funeral or memorial service.

(a) A person shall not do any of the following within 300 feet of the building or other location where a funeral or memorial service is being conducted, or within 1,000 feet of a funeral procession or burial:

(1) Direct abusive epithets or make any threatening gesture which the person knows or reasonably should know is likely to provoke a violent reaction by another.

(2) Disturb or disrupt the funeral, memorial service, funeral procession, or burial by conduct intended to disturb or disrupt the funeral, memorial service, funeral procession or burial.

(b) This section applies to conduct within 1 hour preceding, during and within 2 hours after a funeral, memorial service, funeral procession or burial.

(c) A person who commits a violation of this section commits:

(1) A class A misdemeanor for a first offense.

(2) A class F felony for a second or subsequent offense.

(d) This section shall not preclude any county or municipality from legislating and enforcing its own more restrictive law in this regard. (75 Del. Laws, c. 271, § 1.)