If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #36668  by Delta2Echo

Today my brother and I were looking at bikes in the middletown Walmart when I looked up and found myself surrounded by 5 middletown police officers. They disarmed me, asked me why I had a pistol, and told me I didn't have a right to carry. they asked for my license, I refused to give it to them until they told me what law I was breaking. At this point they forced me to put my arms above my head and spread my legs. Gave me a hard time, took me outside to the 4 police cruisers causing an even bigger scene.

They ran my license that they took without my permission. They continued to lecture me saying that its not normal outside of being an Leo to carry a firearm and insisted that they were checking to make sure I wasn't a felon. I asked why a felon would openly carry a pistol in a level 2 retention holster to which they replied it doesn't matter.

After they found that I'm not a felon and have no warrants, they lectured me on not carrying my firearm again, or I'm going to have problems. I asked if he's ever been held at knife or gin point before, he replied yes. I said its not a good feeling to be defenseless, is it? He said well thats the world we live in. I said that's my point, officer. He told me that doesn't justify carrying a pistol he asked if carrying my pistol to prove a point would be worth getting shot by a law enforcement officer. This pissed me off and said that I'm not being detained any further is like my magazine and my firearm back, and I'm going to walk to my car.

They put my magazine into an evidence bag after emptying all of my rounds gave me that and my firearm back. The whole time Walmart asset protection guy was watching me. I asked him if he could show me Walmart policy on legally carrying a firearm in the store, he said he could not, but he would look into it. Apparenpptly he took it upon himself to ask the police to tell me I'm not welcome back to the store while carrying.

Right now I'm so pissed off right now for so many reasons. Between me being told that ill probably get shot by a cop and the fact that the person that called was there watching the whole time and wasn't educated that open carry is legal.

Add this to the fact that as of right now, I've been put on a leave of absence from work since wed because someone saw my EMPTY holster under my shirt and reported me to HR. As of right now, I'm probably getting fired.

Note: I FORGOT THE KICKER!!! ONE OF THE COPS TOLD ME I NEED TO COVER IT WITH MY SHIRT WHEN HE GIVES IT BACK TO ME!! I told him I absolutely will not do that! He said yes you will, and again, I said I would not, that's illegal and I'm not doing it!
Last edited by Delta2Echo on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #36672  by Tony T

Damn, man! :shock:

You need to go break a mirror or something. They say bad luck runs in threes and you need to get it out of your system...... :poed:
 #36674  by photog

That is seriously fu :censored: ed up!!! Must be prior NCCPD officers. They don't know the law either.
The lack of knowledge of the laws, or ignorance of them, as shown by SOME of the :pointlaugh: "protect and serve" crowd boggles the mind... :banghead:

If you really want to get something started, file an official complaint with the Middletown P.D. However, if you will be applying for your CDW, you may not want to open that hornets nest.... just ask Dave-in-Delaware.
 #36675  by Delta2Echo

photog wrote:That is seriously fu :censored: ed up!!! Must be prior NCCPD officers. They don't know the law either.
The lack of knowledge of the laws, or ignorance of them, as shown by SOME of the :pointlaugh: "protect and serve" crowd boggles the mind... :banghead:

If you really want to get something started, file an official complaint with the Middletown P.D. However, if you will be applying for your CDW, you may not want to open that hornets nest.... just ask Dave-in-Delaware.

Well if my employment does end in termination I won't be applying for cdw anytime soon as there will be no way to afford it. I had a short cut to voice recorder on my phone for this exact reason...but I was so flustered I never actually started the recording. I would love to have them on tape telling me I can't OC and I risk getting shot by a cop practicing my right to carry my firearm.
 #36677  by Strelok

Delta2Echo wrote: Note: I FORGOT THE KICKER!!! ONE OF THE COPS TOLD ME I NEED TO COVER IT WITH MY SHIRT WHEN HE GIVES IT BACK TO ME!! I told him I absolutely will not do that! He said yes you will, and again, I said I would not, that's illegal and I'm not doing it!
Wow... that's messed up. They advised you to cover your firearm... Were they trying to set you up and arrest you for concealing, or they completely clueless about the law?
I probably know more about the law now, by being on this forum for a few weeks and doing my own laws reading, than those guys that should enforce the law for a living.
How in the hell they can enforce the law without knowing it? That's outrages. :o
I'm really sorry you went through all this.
 #36681  by photog

Delta2Echo wrote: Add this to the fact that as of right now, I've been put on a leave of absence from work since wed because someone saw my EMPTY holster under my shirt and reported me to HR. As of right now, I'm probably getting fired.
I really don't see what grounds an employer to take ANY action for carrying an empty holster. It is a piece of plastic or leather, much like a cell phone or blackberry holder. I used to work with a gentleman who always had a large lump under his shirt.... it was an insulin pump! (he was diabetic) So if it was under your shirt, how the hell can anyone say what it was???

SigGirl and I do wish you the best though, hopefully it will all work out.... 8-)
 #36682  by fieldman

Wow. Sounds like the whole Mtown PD showed up. I really cant believe that ZERO out of five officers had a clue that open carry is legal in our state. They need to be reminded that OC is legal.
 #36694  by SugarBoy13

Some light reading on past federal court cases involving OC.

LEOs Can Not Detain OCers w/o Cause:

This has set a great precedent dripping with Supreme and Federal Court references. A very strong case to support our right to carry.

http://ia311028.us.archive.org/1/items/ ... 7.48.0.pdf

LEOs Can Charge OCers with Disorderly Conduct:

This opinion is worthy of being recycled and used for toilet paper. I am completely dumbfounded that this person is a judge in the Federal District Court system. The arguments made to uphold the charges are nothing more than conjecture and hyperbole and without any precedent to back up the argument, just more of that "touchie, feelie" crap.

http://www.georgiacarry.com/gonzalez_we ... 20MSJs.pdf